Target slashing commissions?
    Anyone else get the commission reduction notice from Target earlier today, or is this just me?

Frankly, I am getting tired of the profitability excuse. How in the heck can you not be profitable running an affiliate program other than it being poorly run in the first place.

I seriously need to start focusing on other revenue streams to protect the future of my business.

Disclaimer ... I'm Canadian.

Target + running well = Does not compute

FYI, the bankruptcy liquidation at all Canadian Target stores begins Thursday. All store expected to be closed within 12 weeks I believe they said though I am not 100% on that time frame.

Again, this is for the Canadian stores, but it should be pointed out that all the executive decisions that led to this boondoggle came from executives mined from US operations.

I believe the US executive who oversaw the Canadian expansion will be leaving the company with a severance package significantly higher than the combined wage payout of all Canadian employees who are getting up to 16 weeks.

After generating something like 2 billion in losses.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

3. Thanks From:

Just re-read the above and the way I worded it could be taken as a US vs Canada slant. That what not what I meant, it was poor executive decisions that resulted in it tanking here slant.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Very hard to tell what is actually changing as they are changing their categories. The OLD "Insertion Order" had this:

Home: You earn 5% of Net Sales Amount
    Outdoor Living/Patio: You earn 5% of Net Sales Amount
    The new "insertion Order" has this:

Home and Outdoor: You earn 5% of Net Sales Amount
    Housewares, Auto and Hardware: You earn 3% of Net Sales Amount
    AND this is new: "Fan Shop: You earn 4% of Net Sales Amount"
    And "Toys: You earn 2% of Net Sales Amount" is now "Toys and Games: You earn 1% of Net Sales Amount"

BUT the real horrible terms of the program are unchanged:

All actions happening in a given month are locked 45 days after the end of the month
    Approved Transactions are paid 60 days after they lock
    So, if you have a sale on the first of the month, you get paid four and one-half months later!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

Toys is what is going to kill me. The part that pisses me off is you know they can afford more than that with Toys. If everyone else has been able to commission toys at an average of 4% (Walmart, Kmart, Amazon (8%+)), all it tells me is that Target is just padding its bottomline and wants basically free traffic. I have gone through the same thing with Toys R Us and they are worse. Target just lost exposure on my properties for certain.

REDcard Approved Application $8
    This one above is hilarious! Anyone that pushes that deal is getting royally shafted. The lifetime value of that customer is easily worth $50-100.

I see this market beginning to take dumps all over affiliates. Heed my words now... start to evolve or you will be drowned with others.

9. Thanks From:

Here's the full schedule. It looks like there are more EXCLUDED items than included!

Apparel, Shoes and Accessories
    5%

Baby Gear & Basic
    4%

Home & Outdoor
    5%

Housewares, Auto & Hardware
    3%

Home & Personal Electronics
    1%

Movies
    1%

Mobile
    4%

Fan Shop
    4%

Toys & Games
    1%

Excluded: Baby care (diapers, wipes, formula), all gift cards, school & office supplies (paper & art supplies), Pharmacy (including OTC), Sweet JOJO, Target Photo, Apple, video games and consoles, contract mobile phones, books, magazines, music, sports and fitness equipment, grocery (food, beverage and household commodities), pets, health, personal care and beauty items.

And yeah--I think we are just now getting paid in February for November sales? I'm really, really disappointed in this program considering the veterans who are managing it.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    Excluded: Baby care (diapers, wipes, formula), all gift cards, school & office supplies (paper & art supplies), Pharmacy (including OTC), Sweet JOJO, Target Photo, Apple, video games and consoles, contract mobile phones, books, magazines, music, sports and fitness equipment, grocery (food, beverage and household commodities), pets, health, personal care and beauty items.
    Wow, they aren't paying out on anything any longer. Those categories had better not be in their datafeed! Target has become a complete joke!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

12. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Target is pretty much the only merchant that got me join Impact Radius. With these ridiculous term changes of target and the horrible interface of Impact Radius, I don't think I will join any more merchants at Impact Radius.

14. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Target is pretty much the only merchant that got me join Impact Radius. With these ridiculous term changes of target and the horrible interface of Impact Radius, I don't think I will join any more merchants at Impact Radius.
    They auto-declined us after being in their program on the other network. Never bothered to contact them to say 'Really?'

So 'Ditto' with the network...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

16. Thanks From:
    kse

Target is pretty much the only merchant that got me join Impact Radius.
    Ditto, but I finally got into a second program thanks to a connection I made at ASW15. But to digress for a moment, I really like the IR feature of being able to build a link to any page of any joined program right on the interface home page.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I've sent Target's AM a link to this thread.

19. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I've sent Target's AM a link to this thread.
    Patrick has been reading. So has Todd...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have absolutely no doubt that this was a data-driven decision. The people who manage the program are smart. But I think we also all know that affiliate marketing is in large part about relationships. I don't want to be a brand ambassador for a merchant who doesn't value my voice. There's a difference between promoting a merchant just because you know people will shop there and promoting a merchant because you really believe in the merchant and it treats you right.

I stood behind Target during their credit card fiasco last year and continued to encourage my members to shop there. I can't say that I would do the same thing again now given all of these changes. And it is sad because as a consumer I love Target!

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Patrick has been reading. So has Todd...
    Reading, but I suggested to Patrick that a response would be welcome.

23. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Reading, but I suggested to Patrick that a response would be welcome.
    This is one of those times where I should probably keep my mouth shut because I have been kicked out of programs for complaining on ABW before!

That said...I think a response would be really helpful. When merchants send out emails explaining changes in their program, it is SO much better than just hearing that your commissions have been cut. In particular I would like to hear about why so many products are now being excluded and whether those products will still show up in their product feeds but at 0% commission.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Not sure what you're looking for them to say.. bottom line is their client made a decision regarding the profitability of their business and tasked the OPM with implementing it. The team at AP is very smart and I am sure presented Target with potential consequences and the client decided on their direction. It's more of a matter of mitigation of damage and communication from that point. Does it suck for affiliates? Yep.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for them to say.. bottom line is their client made a decision regarding the profitability of their business and tasked the OPM with implementing it. The team at AP is very smart and I am sure presented Target with potential consequences and the client decided on their direction. It's more of a matter of mitigation of damage and communication from that point. Does it suck for affiliates? Yep.
    One thing I would like for them to say is to specifically answer the question of whether the non-commissioned products will all still be appearing in the datafeed. With so many things non-commissioned right now, it would be a lot easier for them to tell us than for us to try to sort through the feeds and figure it out ourselves.

27. Thanks From:

It sounds like they are making hard decisions and not communicating well with the affiliates that are impacted. If it gets to the point where affiliates are complaining on ABW...
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    One thing I would like for them to say is to specifically answer the question of whether the non-commissioned products will all still be appearing in the datafeed. With so many things non-commissioned right now, it would be a lot easier for them to tell us than for us to try to sort through the feeds and figure it out ourselves.
    Non-commissioned items must NEVER be placed in a datafeed by any merchant. To do so would amount to robbery and, in my opinion, could open them up for a lawsuit. Affiliate programs aren't a source of free advertising and to use them as such constitutes fraud.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I actually applied for an Impact Radius account yesterday because one of my merchants moved their, I got rejected!! I am a 5 bar top performer on CJ and they will not even except me on their network!!! Their lost not mine.....
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

31. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I actually applied for an Impact Radius account yesterday because one of my merchants moved their, I got rejected!! I am a 5 bar top performer on CJ and they will not even except me on their network!!! Their lost not mine.....
    Hi - I saw your post and wanted to respond. First, we must validate your application before you can get approved. If we reach out to you and there is no response or the information is wrong, then the application will get rejected. Most networks accept everyone and weed out issues later - we prefer to validate beforehand. Secondly, it isn't anything personal. We have no way of knowing you are a 5 bar affiliate at CJ. I hope you will consider re-applying.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford View Post
    Hi - I saw your post and wanted to respond. First, we must validate your application before you can get approved. If we reach out to you and there is no response or the information is wrong, then the application will get rejected. Most networks accept everyone and weed out issues later - we prefer to validate beforehand. Secondly, it isn't anything personal. We have no way of knowing you are a 5 bar affiliate at CJ. I hope you will consider re-applying.
    No one contacted me by email, no one left a message on my phone, all I got is a rejection email less then 24 hours after I applied. Why would I apply again, so you guys will just reject me again???
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    No one contacted me by email, no one left a message on my phone, all I got is a rejection email less then 24 hours after I applied. Why would I apply again, so you guys will just reject me again???
    If you PM me your info (name, email address or website), I can look into to why you were rejected. It appears that there was an error in the info you provided. It could have been something minor that can easily get corrected.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

35. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread