Affiliate with Amazon
    This might seen like a dumb question but why do I need to have a site to become an affiliate of amazon? I just thought I would create the site after I became an affiliate not before.

Thanks
    Vitalyze

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Not a dumb question, but here's why - without a site, a merchant doesn't know how you intend to promote their product. Is it graphically acceptable? Did you spell all the words right? What else is on there which might reflect badly on the merchant? Does it have a contact us page? About us page? Terms & Conditions page? Privacy Policy? What else does it link to?

There's a lot of reviewing which occurs prior to an affiliate being accepted into a program. Those are just a few of the questions which must be answered first.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    You shouldn't want to be a part of a program that would take you on without a site or some feel for how and where you'd promote. I don't accept any applications that can't show me a site, blog or a social media property where we'll be promoted. I'm tougher than most because we have a lot of brand restrictions, trademark considerations, etc. Networks or programs that take on affiliates site unseen also leave the door open to bad guys who are looking to steal sales from other channels with the merchant as well as other affiliates.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

So am I suppose to create a site for a product on an affiliate site that hasn't yet approved me? My thought was before I commit to doing all the work to create the site shouldn't I first see if I get approved then create the site for their product?...I'm sure I'm missing a step or not understanding something. Thanks for the help.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If you do the site properly, getting approved shouldn't be an issue. If you are worried about getting approved by Amazon, see what other merchants also sell that product. But yes, you do have to create the site first. They don't know you. They don't know how you will present their product. Why should they give you carte blanche to promote it and possibly damage it?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Ok that makes sense thanks for the help.

Yes you do. When signing up it asks for your current website along with a bunch of other questions

Affiliate Manager
    Amazon will also deny your application if you have very little content on the site. Creating a site with just a single post or two won't get you approved either. You will need a lot of solid content, articles that promote products they sell, etc. When I set up my own site, I had to apply a second time; they denied me at first because the site just didn't have enough content. 50 good articles later, and several thousand visits, they approved me.

Think of it this way, if you had a brand and a product, would you just hand it to anyone off the street to represent you and sell it, and promise them a commission? No, you'd want to verify how they'll be representing, selling, etc. That's all they are doing.

10. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Great analogy Melanie - as an affiliate, when you are applying for a program, you are applying for permission to represent our brand. If you have an unfinished site, or one that is unprofessionally done or with sloppy image work or content, a brand's image on that site will reflect on the brand. If you are a merchant like the ones I manage that invest millions per year in brand building, you're going to want to make sure that the sites displaying your brand are reflecting well on it, so standards are high. If a site is new or the content is thin, we don't really get a feel for what you're going to bring to the table. I'd pose this challenge. Develop your content strategy in parallel with your monetization strategy. Commit to getting something up that is a real resource to end users on the web as much as it is a platform for your affiliate ads. This will help you build a brand, build and audience and a following that will buy from you multiple times.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread