Affiliate focused product development
    I'm an aspiring merchant that would like to build from the ground up with affiliates in mind. It seems to me that affiliates have a great connection with the customers in their niches. I'm wondering how this could be leveraged to develop products that are tightly focused on customers in the niche.

My reading suggests building out products and validating conversion rates with paid search before approaching affiliates, but I'm thinking that earlier interaction might help develop a better set of products. Any ideas/thoughts?

Develop the brand and its conversion, then worry about affiliates.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Are the affiliates going to buy the product ultimately.

Build a product for the buyers.

Will someone build a car for the car salesmen or the actual buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    Are the affiliates going to buy the product ultimately.

Build a product for the buyers.

Will someone build a car for the car salesmen or the actual buyers?
    No, affiliates are not going buy the product.

I was thinking that the "car salesmen" might have some good insights into what products are really needed.

Affiliates need good conversion and competitive options.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

6. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    So Ben, are you thinking of a model where if a product is suggested by an affiliate, the merchant will go looking to find an existing product to make available on their site, or are you talking about a product idea that would have to be created from scratch, from idea > workable concept > plans & specs > patent app > funding > manufacture > distribution, because most existing products, except for transportation (cars, boats, trains, airplanes, etc.), real estate, and armament, are pretty much already available through some online merchant, somewhere.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Are we talking about tangible products or e products?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    So Ben, are you thinking of a model where if a product is suggested by an affiliate, the merchant will go looking to find an existing product to make available on their site, or are you talking about a product idea that would have to be created from scratch, from idea > workable concept > plans & specs > patent app > funding > manufacture > distribution, because most existing products, except for transportation (cars, boats, trains, airplanes, etc.), real estate, and armament, are pretty much already available through some online merchant, somewhere.
    I'm thinking of developing entirely new products (that don't currently exist online). With 3D printing, a lot of the manufacturing/shipping etc can be handed off to partners. It is technically complex, but it is much easier to build new products in small batches than it used to be.

In some ways, it parallels dropshippers - only now the company is manufacturing on demand rather than shipping out of inventory.

For example, I put together a demo site where users can make their own artsy sculptures. They are then handed off to a partner (Shapeways) for printing/delivery. The site isn't that pretty, but the backend works. Am I allowed to post a link to it? I know that there are some rules about self-promotion on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanbishop View Post
    I'm thinking of developing entirely new products (that don't currently exist online). With 3D printing, a lot of the manufacturing/shipping etc can be handed off to partners. It is technically complex, but it is much easier to build new products in small batches than it used to be.
    So who owns the rights to the new product? What happens if it becomes popular and a demand develops?

For example, I put together a demo site where users can make their own artsy sculptures. They are then handed off to a partner (Shapeways) for printing/delivery.
    That really is not the same thing as developing - building - marketing a new product, but is akin to online printing, where the visitor puts in their info and design, and the online printer prints and ships it out.

Am I allowed to post a link to it? I know that there are some rules about self-promotion on the forum.
    No link.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    So who owns the rights to the new product? What happens if it becomes popular and a demand develops?

That really is not the same thing as developing - building - marketing a new product, but is akin to online printing, where the visitor puts in their info and design, and the online printer prints and ships it out.

No link.
    I suppose that the rights issue makes it tough to collaborate. There doesn't seem to be a good way to compensate others for market insights.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You hit on the 3D printing market. Seems there is a lack of affiliate programs for 3D printer manufacturers and supplies. You may have hit on a great opportunity to setup a drop ship relationship and develop a site to sell both. When I see 3D printers for sale at Home Depot in a town of 10,000 I see an emerging market.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Seems there is a lack of affiliate programs for 3D printer manufacturers and supplies..
    There are some around and on major networks.

I suppose that the rights issue makes it tough to collaborate.
    Katy Perry’s lawyers demand takedown of 3D printable Left Shark
    Greg Hoffman

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I looked about a year ago and there wasn't much. Sounds like the market caught up with demand.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread