Email 1,000 Affiliates vs. Affiliate Invitations
    New merchant here...trying to decide which featured programs we want to explore.

Has anyone paid for the 1,000 emails to top-producing affiliates or the affiliate invitations?

Just wondering what the expected rate of return would be. 1%, 5%...more?

We're fortunate to have a program that would appeal to a broad audience(so, targeting a category isn't exactly necessary, but useful)...so, is there a difference in the emails that go out vs. the invitations? (the invitations are far more expensive per email, but do they carry a larger weight with affiliates when they receive them?)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This is hard to accept: "a program that would appeal to a broad audience(so, targeting a category isn't exactly necessary".

I really detest getting emails from merchants/ams/OPMs that that say "I've looked at your great site [garden products] and it would be a perfect fit for our line of pillow cases.

Send that to me and you've wasted your money - not only would it get deleted immediately but I'd remember you in the future , and the memory would not be a favorable one.

Also, it is very irritating to get a solicitation email that actually perks my interest, only to have to apply and 1) get no approval for days or weeks, or 2) get rejected.

If you want a solicitation that is meaningful to me, you absolutely should make it an invitation, where all I have to do is click "accept" and I'm approved, and now, not next week, or later.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

3. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I just looked at your SAS site detail and I see that you are on auto approval. I don't know the merchant side of SAS, but can't you use the cheaper solicitation model and say in your email that you auto approve?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

5. Thanks From:

Phil...you're AMAZING! That's a great idea. Thanks!

1) Auto-approve is not a good idea. Auto-approve lets in all the crap affiliates. I will not join any program that is on auto-approve.

2) I do not open marketing emails from networks because they invariably are exactly like Phil pointed out. I never open marketing emails from ABW - for the same reason.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager
    OK;
    you don't open any cold call emails, so how does a affiliate manager get your interest?

I use auto approval by country an it works great
    You do need to monitor it daily, cause as others mention, it lets in the rif raf :-)

Be very specific in your thank you email for joining who you allow in, (we do not accept coupon sites but they still sign up)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Richard, if you have to go back daily and quality check, why autoapprove in the first place? I only use the by country to automatically decline some of the countries that product 99.9% of the fraud, but I would never approve just because of a geography.. even in the less fraud prone countries, there are people who could damage my brand if I let them in. Granted, our trademark and brand protection concerns are more pronounced than many, but I would never in a million years auto approve in my program. We review apps everyday multiple times, so no one has to wait all that long for approval and if the affiliate is legitimately interested, waiting 4-5 hours for an approval or a response won't deter.

I'm with Bill though - if I was a smart affiliate, I'd be really skeptical of auto approving merchants for fear of what I'm competing with in their program - even the best networks aren't 100% on quality control..
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Our experience with merchants who 'auto approve' is there is usually 'no one home' - program is ineffectively run on auto-pilot...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager
    2 reasons;

1. if ur on auto approve u catch the affiliate right away, he applies an receives an email saying he has been approved, so it is on his mind and he can than go in and grab links rather than waiting.
    2. I am in Thailand, so usually when an affiliate signs up I am not online

For me, it works and my programs are never on auto pilot :-)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread