Datafeed sites in 2015...
    Hello,

I am thinking about doing datafeed stores.

From experienced folks over here I would like to know how is 2015 looking for datafeed stores. I have membership with cj and share a sale. I did try goldencan in the past without much to write about. I had few sales here and there but nothing remarkable. I am thinking of using either datafeedr or popshop. Somebody also suggested me to look into Prosperent.

I noticed that for Prosperent I do not have to be member of each affiliate program which is good because it takes pain out of applying every program.

My background:
    I enjoy buying keyword domains and some of them I have sold for great price.
    I have 100s of domains currently about 1100 and they are collecting dust while waiting for buyers. 80% of these domains are keyword domains and they earn pennies in parking. I would like to know if datafeed sites can work for them.

I did extensive search on this website - and it seems that there are mixed feelings about this but if atleast one person had remarkable success I would like to give it a shot.

However before I invest good amount of money I need honest opinions from you guys.

thanks in advance.

As long as you have a quality site, we would love to work with you. We are 100% dedicated to affiliates. We build tools to make what you do every day easier (unlimited api that scales and already handles over 8 Billion requests per month), and we do lower the barrier to entry to most merchants (we work with over 4500 merchants and growing). Having said that, we actually manually review each site that sends traffic through our network to ensure you meet our quality guidelines. If you don't, you are going to see many top tier merchants filtered from your profile. We do this to protect the merchants we work with from potentially bad affiliates.

I can also say that most merchants going forward are looking for content sites. We have a partnership with Shareist that allows our publishers to leverage their content platform along with our product api to build sites that not only provide rich product data, but also build a strong content driven community at the same time. If you have questions, i'm happy to answer them.

I'm thinking you mean generic keyword (type-in style) domain names. Like, for example: OnionChopper, WoodSplitter, Liniment, ArmyChecks, NavyChecks?

Buying the right generic domains can be similar to PPC - but you only pay to acquire and renew the domains to continue to get targeted traffic. With PPC you keep on paying and paying and paying. In the case of the military checks domains (I've got all the services in dot-com) I see several visits per day which amounts to a lot of targeted traffic for about $50 a year. Actually, the overall site also does well in the search engines for the primary domain.

By coincidence, I am (today) working on rebuilding one site (based on the army domain) that does exactly that. I last touched it in November, 2012. I used to populate it with links to only one merchant but just added a few more pages and have implemented PopShops to include six merchants.

I'm surprised that you experienced lackluster results with GoldenCAN. I have seen some success when implemented as part of a larger site - built as a page (or more) to serve as a lander for some generic domains. However, YMMV.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for replies.
    @Prosperent - I do have content and plan to produce more as I did have some of these sites developed as a minisites and they were generating revenue through adsense. I just took adsense off because I was worried that they may be considered as thin sites. I am just not sure how much content your merchants would require going forward. eg. If I have amazon website for buying dress and I am pulling all different kinds of dresses - how much content do they need. I have few websites dedicated to plus size dresses, black dresses, summer dresses etc with 7-10 articles in each websites and they generated decent adsense revenue. I am thinking of combining all articles in one site with domain name which has a nice "type in" value. This leads to atleast 30 articles which will be drip fed. Do you think that is enough - or they need much thicker website. To do more thicker just kills the perspective of doing aff marketing because it will be a lot of hard work then

Let me know your thoughts. Also I had tough time pulling your feeds and displaying it. I tried "wp all import" and "wp csv importer" without success. I may try datafeedr and see how it works.

@Bill - back in the days I had checked one of your travel website and it was beautiful. I think it was with .at extension. As you rightly pointed out I have very many generic keyword domains. Some of them having hyphen. What I noticed that even with hyphen if search volume is significantly higher they get good type in traffic. Some of them I had developed as mentioned above with fewer articles and they were getting very good traffic. I have lots of domain with exact name long tail keyword and they generate very decent targeted traffic. These are very niche focused domains and that is where I plan to use datafeed sites because those products are unique and people interested in them are really passionate about them.

Day by day parking revenue is going down and I thought that if I devised a quick site generation system with datafeedr or some other tools and throw few articles about (5-10 per site) it will be a great recurring stream of income

I think goldencan has issue with how the store looks - if they develop a nice stylesheet leading to good looking store - it will be certainly beneficial.

I tried on very few sites but I would give them a go with about 30-50 domains and see how they do.

I wil post results once I am done with this project - At another forum somebody tried 100 datafeed site which has so far not generated much. His goal was "set and forget" so he did not do any kind of optimization. I will probably do some SEO and link builidng depending on time.

In a long range my goal is to have a system where if I purchased a domain it goes straight into development mode with datafeed and few articles instead of going for plain parking.

It sounds like a fun project. I had fairly large success with 4,000 domains about seven years ago, but I think it has become a lot harder. For my case, I was buying .99 cent .info domains and honestly, when it came time to renew at $10 I paired down the list by more than half. I had to build a small back link profile for each and that was hard to do and not be a black hat spammer. I did buy links though and it could get quite expensive so you have to have conversions.

So you need to make sure your domain names are well targeted. So 100PoundRedWiget.com is going to do better than CheapStuff.com. Of course traffic levels will vary greatly. The more targeted, the less traffic. For me it was a numbers game. Spend this much for domain, spend this much for back links, hope I can reach x sales a year at commission rate y.

I eventually gave up on the whole scheme and started promoting just one domain. Its real easy to get black listed by Google and then most of your profit goes away. So for instance, you get caught buying links, one domain is flagged manually and all others on the same server are penalized, you grow your links too fast, the merchant you kicked out of the top spot goes for revenge and reports all of your domains, etc.

You know what I think my biggest mistake was? I used a parent domain to funnel page rank to the 4,000 other domains. So throw some really high PR links at the parent domain, then let it pass rank down to the other domains. I think that's how Google got me, my darn parent domain was a meaningful high volume keyword and with all that link juice focused on it, it started ranking really well and opened up the whole scheme for scrutiny. Stupid on my part. So I had really nice profit for about 1 year and then ok profit for another year, then I just gave up.

edit: One thing, I didn't start out with 4,000, I bootstrapped the domain purchases. So I started out with 100 domains, took all the profit and bought 500 more, etc until I had 4,000 at the peak. Domain renewal was really scary for me, but you already have them in your portfolio so...
    Last edited by isellstuff; February 17th, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

6. Thanks From:

@isellstuff - thanks for your input. Luckily so far I could offset the cost of domain renewal by selling some of domains from my portfolio. As we speak in last 15 days I sold 2 domains for almost $3k - pretty much for 1000 domains my renewal cost is about 10k and luckily I am actually making profit just by selling domains. My goal is to create a site where not only I can sell domain names but also sell this semithick or semithin websites.

My goal is never to rank number one in google, although if it happens I am happy but otherwise try different marketing channels like twitter and facebook and if it leads to product sales it would be great. What I notice, that targeted geo domains with service industry do sell very well, now add website to them which is ranking well and you can get significant ROI. It is easier to rank "best wedding photography in manhattan" than "wedding photography". Lots of my domains are like geo+service or plain product related with exact kw search volume of atleast 5000 per month. I have some of .biz domains which have search volume of more than 100k and some have more than half million and they bring decent type in traffic even if they are not dot com. Only problem with non dot com domains, they are not easier to sell to end user while "dot com" are way easy to sell.

@Prosperent - I do have content and plan to produce more as I did have some of these sites developed as a minisites and they were generating revenue through adsense. I just took adsense off because I was worried that they may be considered as thin sites. I am just not sure how much content your merchants would require going forward. eg. If I have amazon website for buying dress and I am pulling all different kinds of dresses - how much content do they need. I have few websites dedicated to plus size dresses, black dresses, summer dresses etc with 7-10 articles in each websites and they generated decent adsense revenue. I am thinking of combining all articles in one site with domain name which has a nice "type in" value. This leads to atleast 30 articles which will be drip fed. Do you think that is enough - or they need much thicker website. To do more thicker just kills the perspective of doing aff marketing because it will be a lot of hard work then

Let me know your thoughts. Also I had tough time pulling your feeds and displaying it. I tried "wp all import" and "wp csv importer" without success. I may try datafeedr and see how it works.
    You don't actually want to, or need to pull our feeds. Just use the api and access our data live. This has several benefits. You never have to worry about stale data like you would using datafeeds. Merchants update their products daily,and by using datafeeds, you are going to have thousands of dead links inside of a month. Our api handles all of that. Also assume that down the road a merchant migrates to a different affiliate network. If you use datafeeds, all of your links are now dead, but with our api, we reroute the traffic for you on click. If a merchant closes their program, your links are dead with datafeeds, but we again reroute and find the same product at a different merchant. This is why we have one of the most powerful api's in the industry, and why we serve up over 8 billion api requests per month. Again, no limits or access restrictions. If a merchant deems your sites too thin, we can filter those results and keep your traffic and revenue flowing into merchants that will pay the most based on our network wide conversion stats.

@Prosperent : Thanks for your suggestions. After looking at different APIs and the example blog with wordpress plug in, I am very excited. I will look further into this and try to implement and see how it goes. thanks.

If you use wordpress, check out our plugins for sure. It could save you a few hundred hours of work with that many domains. Shoot me a message if you run into any questions.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread