When You Want To Give Up
    I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.
    When I first went live with all my affiliate links, I kicked butt. I knew this was what I wanted to do and I thought all my hard work was finally paying off. It did- for about 6 weeks. Of course this was right at the height of the holiday shopping season, but I thought I would be able to keep up at least half of that momentum.

I was wrong. So, so wrong. January and February have sucked. I've made enough to pay for my site, but that's about it. I put 5-7 hours a day into the site and I'm getting nothing for it. Visits haven't increased, sales have sucked and I'm losing faith. I'm not a quitter, but it's becoming very depressing.

Something sitting in the back of my mind, though is that there's no way I can be so successful right off the bat. Even though I thought I'd bypassed that initial 6 month 'not-even-on-the-map stage, perhaps I haven't. Being new, though I really have idea, well, about anything.

I guess I'm just writing this to a) let others who might be feeling this way know that they aren't alone, and b) to see if anyone has any advice- even if they just want to tell me to abandon it.

Thanks,

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Not an uncommon feeling.

One thing to do is to find small niches that are seasonal, and have several whose seasons are at different times of the year.

Hint - think weather and think second-tier holidays.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

3. Thanks From:

Thanks. I went with what I expected would work but they're just not selling (I'm sure one will pick up shortly as I was way ahead of the season). Also did a list of top 10 books in my nice (not been done yet) and have little response. When they said the first 6 months to a year are the hardest and most trying, they weren't kidding! Going to find a photo and quote to put on the wall at my desk for inspiration. Might be all I need to keep trekking on.

Affiliate Marketing is hard work, I willing to guess 97% of the newbies that post here last less the 2-3 month's at AM, Another 1 % last less then six months and another 1% last less then a year. So I guessing that 1% of the "Real Newbies" not including spammers last more then a year.

My first year I made around $800 profit, the next year it doubled, and the next year it doubled again and so on and so on, until 2011/2012 when I made around 75% of what I did the year before and I had to rethink and fine tune my sites including shutting a lot of them down. In 2013 I got a nice increase over the year before and the same in 2014. So bottom line it hard work. I could live off my AM income (right now) but I not willing to take the risk because tomorrow things WILL change and I will have to figure out what to do next.

So the bottom line is in the first few years their will be several months where a lot new affiliates will not be able to cover their cost (even if the only cost is coffee)

Good Luck......

Thanks. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but that false positive trend in December made me forget all that.

If your site(s) were 2-3 month old when you were making some money then you were getting a little bit of "Free Traffic" from google after that you have to earn the free traffic, and that is the hard part.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    2015 marks my 17th year as an affiliate.

Last year was the easiest year since 2002.

For me, having to separate emotions from business has always been the hardest thing to do. Biggest step was realizing when to shutter what stopped working and refocus. Last year was the payoff that started in 2012. Most of us have to do multiple sites to stay motivated and/or keep our creative thirst quenched - my company still has multiple web properties (in and out of affiliate marketing) - but, instead of HUNDREDS we now have low double digits. This is to offset any sudden drop in revenue on any single business segment.

Being self-enjoyed is not always easy - but that desire/drive is what makes the world go 'round...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I'm considering doing up another site or two that require less attention - think it would be a good idea. However, being good at one is better than being so-so at many. (There's a quote along that effect I'm sure.) So for now I should focus on the building and learning and less on the profit. It's just truly frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    2015 marks my 17th year as an affiliate.
    Wow, 17 years, that's awesome. What was it like back in the beginning Convergence? I've been doing this for 11 years, but I didn't get roaring and go full time till 2008. It was not easy by then and of course the recession was in full tilt.

Affiliate Marketing has its ups and downs. Its good to be diversified with multiple income streams. A affiliate relationship can go sour and really impact your bottom line if you aren't diversified. I got hit by this last year with eBay. I had a "bonus tier" commission rate dating back to 2013 which gave me unreal profits, then in 2014 they took it away in increments. It was a scary shock that caused my holiday revenue to really implode. Coupled with a lackluster shopping season and yikes, it was scary. I've since focused and fixed the issues and am back on track for good growth but I am ALSO starting a new Internet company unrelated to affiliate marketing in order to diversify. I really like making a living from the Internet, from home, setting my own hours, traveling when I want, etc.

So, I started out in 2004 and worked part time on affiliate marketing while working at a real VC funded Internet startup. It was really nice to earn a little extra money, kindof like a treasure hunt. I saved every penny that I earned and re-invested all of it into my biz. I did that for four years, by which time I had a lot of working capital (equivalent to one years salary at my day job). Also, after four years my AM earnings almost matched my day job earnings. I then went full time and in the first year my AM earnings doubled. But.... My expenses went up too... More traffic = more servers, have to pay for my own health insurance, needed a quiet office as I was working in an open loft, so bought a bigger house, had to hire some contractors to help with work load, etc.

AM is not a get rich quick scheme. Its slow going with the occasional setback. The rewards are nice and the lifestyle can be great. One thing I would say to anyone getting started. Its really easy to stay at your computer and work really long days for years on end as you stress over your security and revenue stream. Don't neglect your health. Get up, walk around, exercise, eat well, etc. I am guilty of staying to focused on growth and letting my health deteriorate. Big mistake which I have corrected with less hours, more exercise and breaks, etc. Honestly, I don't work more than 5 hours a day right now and I'm full time!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    What was it like back in the beginning Convergence?
    LOL - didn't have a flipping clue. First sale came quickly - was hooked.

Then a lull for about six months - built my first affiliate only site in 1999.

Until 2003 it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Then discovered what SE algos were AND getting spanked.

Couple of years fiddling around half-heartedly. 2005 kicked it back into gear.

Good stuff now - right balance. Have a marketing director now. Keeps me focused.

Five hours a day is about average for me, as well - unless we're doing upgrades or heavy promotions. Right now it's heavy in the upgrade stage as we're rolling out v2.0 on our main site with v3.0 planned for this summer.

Anyhoo, if nothing else, 'in the beginning' ignorance was bliss...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    LOL - didn't have a flipping clue.
    I think that is an important point. I didn't have a clue either. It takes YEARS to gain the experience necessary to be able to roll with the punches and still succeed.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

14. Thanks From:

It hasn't helped that these places are so slow in paying. I still haven't held one penny in my hands since I started. All in good time, though.
    Thanks everyone for sharing your own experiences. I'm not looking to get rich, just looking for success. This is the blood sweat and tears it takes to get there, I suppose.

We all feel this way at one point or another. Sorry to hear about the 'mental rutt' you find yourself in. Affiliate stuff is tough. I haven't had one sale. Not even one person who expressed interest. But that's business. The same thing is happening to my merchant business. I easily put in 7-10 hours a day working on ways to enhance our 'product' and generate traffic. But the sales and leads just aren't there.

Unless you truly feel you're 'done' and have no interest in going any further, don't give up. In my case, I'm committed. I probably wont' see any profit for a long time. But I've committed to the fact that this WILL succeed. I WILL make it happen. I believe in the idea, I believe others will too, and I believe can do anything I put my heart and soul into. Bottom line - if you believe, than the universe has no choice but to grant your wish...one day. Hang in there Can-do. -Joe

Thanks, everyone! There's truth to the term 'tough it out'. It's tough. I'm not giving up, though. I only just went live in November. If so many others come and go in the first year, then why should anyone take me seriously before then? Just have to prove I'm loud and strong for one year, and then not only will I have a place on the internet, but I'll have a good 12 months worth of experience to learn from.

I think you should figure out the reason why it is not working out for you , you may be doing it wrong somewhere.

I am new to this. I know that everything I have ever done I give it all I have. At least I hope I do. I know things seem tough. Keep fighting. Hopefully things will get better for u soon. Stay strong.

I don't know how people do it, I don't have anyone interested in my products either, and they've gotten good review copy reviews and they're solid products. But no affiliates. Nothing. It's quite frustrating and it does make me want to give up. I just need to remind myself of how much money I've put into it, how much time and effort and then also how badly I need the money for college. That keeps me trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Do Attitude View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.
    When I first went live with all my affiliate links, I kicked butt. I knew this was what I wanted to do and I thought all my hard work was finally paying off. It did- for about 6 weeks. Of course this was right at the height of the holiday shopping season, but I thought I would be able to keep up at least half of that momentum.

I was wrong. So, so wrong. January and February have sucked. I've made enough to pay for my site, but that's about it. I put 5-7 hours a day into the site and I'm getting nothing for it. Visits haven't increased, sales have sucked and I'm losing faith. I'm not a quitter, but it's becoming very depressing.

Something sitting in the back of my mind, though is that there's no way I can be so successful right off the bat. Even though I thought I'd bypassed that initial 6 month 'not-even-on-the-map stage, perhaps I haven't. Being new, though I really have idea, well, about anything.

I guess I'm just writing this to a) let others who might be feeling this way know that they aren't alone, and b) to see if anyone has any advice- even if they just want to tell me to abandon it.

Thanks,
    As others have pointed out - don't put all eggs in one basket. This simple rule to differentiate your income source applies literally to any market and business.
    I'm fairly new to affiliate marketing compared to others at this forum - but the urge to quit when something stops working is quite familiar to me as well and I've been through some dark days. Quit only if you hate doing it not just because you failed one time! )

PS. February always sucked in any business I worked so far.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread