I don't know how well that will work, yes any existing substantial affiliates that are included will, possibly, benefit from it, but the many thousands that aren't listed won't see anything new, as won't upcoming new affiliate sites.

Perhaps, if each of the major networks provided a notice of the existence of the exclusion list at the time of any new member sign-up it would help, but it doesn't sound like eBates is real interested in a list of any real substance,
    quote:
    From the NYTimes:
    Mr. Isolani said he doubted it. "We're obviously not going to list every site on the Internet; if it's a real person with a real issue with the software, we'll take a look at it," he said. "We could probably work with a thousand or two."

"We'll take a look at it" is hardly a reassurance that anything will change going forward. If the only affiliate sites that aren't overwritten, are the well-established large ones, I just don't see how that addresses the fundamental problem of intrusion on anothers intellectual property, i.e. their paid for bandwidth and Web space with their content providing promotional benefit for the merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Does the list exist yet? And if so, how does one get his/her sites listed?

It would have been a lot better if the networks would have provided this protection, but they specifically left it up to the parasites and merchants to decide if they want to stop the stealing.

I am especially disappointed in LinkShare and Steve Messer specifically. He really is not showing much leadership. It sounded like he would, but unfortunately that is not coming to fruition.

quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    Does the list exist yet? And if so, how does one get his/her sites listed?
    I, for one, am open to hearing more details about the list than what appeared in the brief mention in the article. However, it doesn't sound like a viable solution to me, it reads to me like "well, what they're doing is wrong, but as long as they don't do it to a chosen few, it's okay."

One other important observation about this comment regarding the affiliate competition by Mr. Isolani, "It seems like they have a religious hatred for us."

I submit that religious fervor or hatred are not present at all, rather it's a fight for what's right that galvanizes the community. When something is wrong, people tend to rise to the occasion to place it right - especially (but not exclusively) Americans as witnessed by the Boston Tea Party during the birth of the nation and more recently with the rise of MADD and the attendant changes in both the laws and the public attitude about drunk driving.

When people have a righteous cause and the means (ABestWeb for one) to communicate their feelings among each other, it's a formidable force, it would be a sad day if the affiliate community settled for half-measures and promises. Many members here are continually creating new sites, will there be one more step in that process? Namely, submitting the url to eBates for consideration for inclusion on "the list?" and what if the request (begging for ethical treatment?) is denied? Fold up the url instead?

ABW Ambassador
    Just as networks can't agree to stop theft you really think parasites will agree to stop it?

Not one parasite will do this (much less getting them all to agree to a list of sites). The issue here is much deeper rooted than just ebates.

Ludicrous!

Shoremark,

quote:
    Namely, submitting the url to eBates for consideration for inclusion on "the list?"

eBates will NOT decide on the urls submitted, they will not have a way of reading them only the software will (as the urls are encrypted). It is my job to accept the url submission and verify the submission was by the true owner and that they are really an affiliate. Upon verification, then the data is fed to topmoxie and released in the next update, full exclusion can be done as fast as a few hours.

I will also make sure that most affiliates out there will be informed of this service so that they can full protect their sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,

What you are saying is not what eBates is saying will happen.

They say they will take a look and exclude maybe a couple thousand urls. And just from the 'real people'.

I have twenty urls. There are over 7,000 ABW members.

Anyways, what are you going to require as proof of ownership of a site? And how are you going to verify 200,000+ urls?

I like the part of the plan that I might get to be paid some more of my earnings, but they are throwing up a lot of barriers. And keep in mind that due to "techincal glitches", they could not even keep their software from redirecting in the new releases of December.

quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I have twenty urls. There are over 7,000 ABW members..

I have 84 urls and many others here have over 100 urls -- all this verification takes time -- time is money -- how much is this service going to cost?

Heidi
    Fit2a-t - Make Money Selling T-Shirts From Your Site!!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread