New Program - Trouble Attracting the Right Affiliates
    Hi Folks,

I'm managing a new program for (program name removed) that was launched late last year. I'm new to all of this, but growth has gone WAY slower than I anticipated. I've been recruiting for the last two months throught AvantLink and so far we've only attracted the attention of coupon sites. Honestly I think every program attracts their attention, which would have been great, but our focus is not on discounts and coupons so the exposure from those sites hasn't been helpful. Instead the focus of our program is on generating real content, product reviews, or even exposure in new online communities.

I thought that a good commission, exclusive product, and open communication would be instrumental, but perhaps I was too naive? Have I been too ambitious? How can I go about making our program attractive to the right affiliates and what other tools should I be using to recruit those affiliates?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jon
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; February 24th, 2015 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Removed identifiable information

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Hey Jon, have you been recruiting mostly inside AvantLink using their recruiting tool? Or have you been looking for affiliates outside the network as well? What has your approach been so far ? I would think that going after health and fitness bloggers, distributors of supplements, etc.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Affiliate Manager
    Looking at that site, I think you're going to have to find a really good angle, something that makes those bottles stand out from all the dozens of other ones that are pretty similar. I have several brands of mixing bottles at home, all different brands, and they all are roughly the same. You might want to select one or two models (like that cool stacking one) and focus on really promoting those. Those are unique and pretty decently priced too, and they're something different than what every other blending-bottle vendor is selling. Keep targeting the online communities, health sites, and the bloggers. If you can offer a free one to try out for the bloggers to review, that could help as well. You mentioned product reviews, but are they anonymous from anonymous customers, or are they visible, popular fitness experts and writers?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    "Do I simply find individual bloggers and communities and e-mail them?"

Yes, and put together a follow-up spreadsheet or a contact manager to remind you to follow-up again in two weeks. It has taken me up to six months to get some affiliates to respond. Perhaps offer a free sample upon request with every recruitment email and personalize that as much as possible.

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi Clare,

Here's an idea - you came to this forum for a reason, but it looks like that reason was NOT to become a contributing member who participates in discussions in a variety of industry-related issues to keep aware of the industry and provide your knowledge to others, but rather that the reason was to improve your business reach. Why don't you try the former idea, become a participant, and show the membership that you are an honest, intelligence, helpful person, and affiliates will WANT to work with YOU, whatever your program? Believe me, top affiliates join all sorts of diverse programs not solely because of the specific products, but because they've come to "know" the affiliate manager, and want to work with them.

You can start the process by going to the Intro sub-forum and telling us about yourself (NOT your company - about you).
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; February 24th, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

Hi Phil,

My intentions in joining this forum were not malicious and I followed the guidelines to the best of my understanding. I have already posted about myself in the Intro Sub-forum, and I posted on this forum with a genuine question and I am very happy with the supportive responses I've received. Unfortunately, my earlier response to my fellow managers went into review yesterday and I don't know why it didn't post. If I've over stepped my boundaries I would happily accept your clarification on forum rules. Otherwise, I will continue to ask questions and seek feedback from those on this forum that have the wisdom I lack.
    Last edited by Clare; February 25th, 2015 at 01:44 PM.

Hi Affiliate Warrior (Wade),

Apparently I am inept at posting on forums. This is actually my first time seeking feedback like this, but I wanted to thank you for your response to my question. I have only worked within AvantLink's network and I have targeted all those in the health industry but given the feedback from Chuck Hamrick, I think I begin to compile a list of bloggers outside of the network and try to bring them into our program. If you have any other thoughts on this I would love to hear them.

I've noticed your a veteran on these forums, which I greatly respect, so if you have any additional suggestions on working my way around these things it would be greatly appreciated.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Looking at that site, I think you're going to have to find a really good angle, something that makes those bottles stand out from all the dozens of other ones that are pretty similar. I have several brands of mixing bottles at home, all different brands, and they all are roughly the same. You might want to select one or two models (like that cool stacking one) and focus on really promoting those. Those are unique and pretty decently priced too, and they're something different than what every other blending-bottle vendor is selling. Keep targeting the online communities, health sites, and the bloggers. If you can offer a free one to try out for the bloggers to review, that could help as well. You mentioned product reviews, but are they anonymous from anonymous customers, or are they visible, popular fitness experts and writers?
    Thank you Melanie for your suggestions. I posted a response to this yesterday but apparently it was flagged? We have a lot of thoughts on differentiating our product offering, which I hope to build upon in the near future, and your suggestion about offering free product to encourage reviews of all kinds is awesome. I will definitely apply that to our strategy. Thank you again for your valuable feedback!

Hi Clare, I am new here, too I hope that you do reach out to individual bloggers or people in the target community for your company's product. I am an established blogger and an owner of a couple of new e-commerce sites that are targeted towards specific industries that I am personally very familiar with. I have been reaching out (on my side) to develop affiliate relationships with specific companies who have the products that I know my audiences are interested in so that I feel good about including their ads or links to their products on MY sites. Companies do routinely (via social media and directly through my blogs) reach out to me with offers of the sort that I believe you probably should be making to appropriate bloggers in your own market space. Who uses your company's products? and are some of those users affiliates? I am very excited to have affiliate relationships with the companies whose products I personally use. I wish you the best of luck in growing your business overall and via AvantLink.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread