Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Smile Net Neutrality is HERE!
    This is a fabulous day for all of us in the affiliate marketing industry - the FCC today approved its new rules assuring us of NET NEUTRALITY!

The big players will NOT be able to buy the top spots in SERPS or faster load time - the internet will not just remain open to all players, but it will now be regulated as a Public Utility subject to hearings and PUC board approval for any isp cost increases.

Thanks to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler who saw the light, saw the need, and did what had to be done to protect us all.

"Under the rules, it will be illegal for companies such as Verizon or Cox Communications to slow down streaming videos, games and other online content traveling over their networks. They also will be prohibited from establishing "fast lanes" that speed up access to Web sites that pay an extra fee. And in an unprecedented move, the FCC could apply the rules to wireless carriers such as T-Mobile and Sprint -- a nod to the rapid rise of smartphones and the mobile Internet."
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

2. Thanks From:

A win-win for all. Nice.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

A win-win for all. Nice.
    Time will tell. Sometimes when the government comes in to help it doesn't go the way it had originally seemed. Utilities are not motivated by delivering the most excellent product possible.

In any event, we will see! I am a bit skeptical. The idea is noble, but the execution will be everything.

Just my $.02

A happy day for everyone!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Doesn't it make you a little nervous that we had another "we've got to pass it to find out what's in it" scenario? How can we celebrate when we don't truly know what it is? All we've got is talk, talk, talk.
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; February 26th, 2015 at 04:28 PM.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

7. Thanks From:

I agree with OTProf. Although I agree with the concept of net neutrality, I don't trust that government's interests and OUR interests are necessarily the same.

I think "net neutrality" is largely a contrived problem, and one that the free market would have resolved on its own. For instance, if I used Comcast and they started slowing my access to Netflix, one of Comcast's competitors would have got my business.

Similarly, I stay at some hotels that offer a slower "free Internet" or a faster paid option. I can choose which I want. And I can factor that in when I select hotels.

On airplanes, GoGo offers "free" access to certain web sites that presumably have paid them for the privilege. I have absolutely no problem with that.

My main concern is that now that the government has wedged their finger into the system, they're going to continue to expand the scope of their control.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Thanks From:

Phil, this is indeed a sad day. On the surface this sounds great, but it is just more government control of our lives. Now the government can dictate who can charge what and to whom to use the internet, rather than letting the market determine a fair price.

Ken

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I think "net neutrality" is largely a contrived problem, and one that the free market would have resolved on its own. For instance, if I used Comcast and they started slowing my access to Netflix, one of Comcast's competitors would have got my business.
    I agree but disagree here Michael. If you're in a location that offers many different types of internet services, you could easily let the free market fix the problem. For many in this country, you're stuck with one type of high speed service or if you're lucky, maybe a small player with much slower speeds like a CenturyLink. I know where I'm located, I have one option for high speed and a back up option that really isn't an option. The price for the only high speed option goes up constantly and they throttle traffic if you use too much bandwidth.

Bob

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm View Post
    I agree but disagree here Michael. If you're in a location that offers many different types of internet services, you could easily let the free market fix the problem. For many in this country, you're stuck with one type of high speed service or if you're lucky, maybe a small player with much slower speeds like a CenturyLink. I know where I'm located, I have one option for high speed and a back up option that really isn't an option. The price for the only high speed option goes up constantly and they throttle traffic if you use too much bandwidth.

Bob
    Bob, same here in Colorado. However, as consumers I think we'll end up paying more for less with tiered services. In other words, we'll have bandwidth limitations return with Comcast - which was waived while all this was going on. Haven't ever seen a PUC turn down a price increase explanation from a 'utility' company, either.

Gotta love 'feel good' politics...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

14. Thanks From:

While you might think that regulation helps the "little guy", it really helps the big players more (by creating a barrier to entry for new/little players) and the government interests the most.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    The barrier is already mostly unattainable though; there aren't many companies who can afford the costs to get an ISP off the ground. Outside of Google, I can't think of many "startups" entering the space and if they do, it's local/regional around big cities with little hope for those in areas who have just one high speed option for service. I don't know if the new law will help but I guess time will tell.

I'm not seeing any free market in the ISP business in the US. Where I live we have U-verse and Time-Warner, the prices are up in the sky, the competition is a joke. It's all devided one way or another, I'm switching back and forth every 2 years.
    Just to compare, my brother in an average Russian town at one time paid $13 a month for a 200Mbit connection. There were 6 ISPs going though the apartment building where he lives. Also, he's not under any 1-2 year contract and is free to switch his ISP at any moment. I mean, literally, he stayed with one ISP for a few hours, then switched to another because the night special was cheaper.

19. Thanks From:

I'm a skeptic. If Corporations own Govt. by lobbying and now Govt. controls the internet, won't big corporations regulate out the little guys? That's how it always works. No good deed goes unpunished.
    :kiss:

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

22. Thanks From:

Nazi Administration
    Quote Originally Posted by Menshealth View Post
    Phil, this is indeed a sad day. On the surface this sounds great, but it is just more government control of our lives. Now the government can dictate who can charge what and to whom to use the internet, rather than letting the market determine a fair price.

Ken
    Isn't this type of action by our federal government called Fascism? Just asking.....

Jeffrey Dorfman, a writer of economics and policy for Forbes, explains in economic terms how Net Neutrality probably will keep everyone out of the fast lane:

"Net Neutrality Puts Everyone In The Internet Slow Lane"
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyd...net-slow-lane/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

25. Thanks From:

It was really a good news but only time will tell if those broadband companies will follow.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Ridgley what's going on at your side of the pond?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgley View Post
    It was really a good news but only time will tell if those broadband companies will follow.
    Why do you feel it was 'good news'?

The ISPs WILL follow - they'll simply find another way to capitalize on what they can control...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Doesn't it make you a little nervous that we had another "we've got to pass it to find out what's in it" scenario? How can we celebrate when we don't truly know what it is? All we've got is talk, talk, talk.
    I couldn't agree more. Talk is all we got when the get all the coins.

Great insight.

32. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread