SMS marketing: Keep yourself (and your merchants) out of trouble
    I've had quite a few of my affiliates ask me about SMS marketing. We currently have it disabled globally because many sites do not have the correct disclaimers.

Since I'm sharing these links with my affiliates, I thought I would also share them here. The first is from SimpleTexting.com. I believe these best practices are helpful:

http://simpletexting.com/category/sm...est-practices/

The second is directly from the CTIA or, as it is now known, the Wireless Association. This is their guidebook for audits of SMS marketing programs and more. All member carriers have agreed to this guidebook:

http://wmcglobal.com/media/CTIA-Shor...ook-v1.4.1.pdf

If anyone else has any tips or their own list of best practices, please share! I'm always looking to improve our affiliates' campaigns and our own sites.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brojek View Post
    I've had quite a few of my affiliates ask me about SMS marketing. We currently have it disabled globally because many sites do not have the correct disclaimers.
    "We currently have it disabled globally" - Disabled where?

Also, are your affililates using their own services to SMS Marketing to THEIR websites or to yours/the merchants?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Convergence, to clarify we have SMS disabled on all of our own sites. I incorrectly wrote that we had it turned off because "many sites do not have the correct disclaimers." We have it turned off because the potential for fines if WE have it wrong is very high.

Because many sites do not have correct disclaimers, the answer to your second question is neither right now. Now, if they opt to do SMS marketing to their sites, it's their prerogative of course, but it doesn't mean we can work with them. We work in title loans, and quite a few of our affiliates use application filters to get customers to the lenders that best suit their needs, some of which are not our partners. In those cases, fine - SMS market your site. If, however, the affiliate is ONLY marketing our lenders, and they co-brand themselves with us or our lenders, then they cannot currently have SMS marketing enabled since we could also be held accountable for any violations in terms of the disclaimers.

Did that make sense, or did it just seem like rambling?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Makes sense for your industry - thanks.

Dozen years ago we did Payday/Cash Advance programs - stopped when the laws in every state became so convoluted the risks outweighed the rewards...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yes, the waters are still muddy, that's why we tread carefully. Auditing affiliate sites becomes such pain when you have to refer to so many different laws.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread