How precise is Facebook Ads targeting?
    When you create "Audience" for your Ad it gives you an option to target people by specific interests say "Jaywalking" and "Grooming Dogs" for example.
    Does that mean that the Ad will show up on news feed of only these people who "Liked" both of the interest pages on Facebook? Or either one of them?
    Or does this sort of targeting work at all in real?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Sure their targeting has changed since we tried their ads a few years ago - without any success.

Here's the problem I see: Facebook is a SOCIAL place, users have no interest in being 'sold' anything, no matter how clever the ad targeting may be. Contextual and/or targeted ads may appear, but if no one is interested in buying when all they want to do is post/see puppy pics/videos no one will ever click, much less buy a service. I just don't see it happeningin that environment...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I can see Facebook Ads being used for branding and retargeting like display ads are used across the Internet. Too many advertisers are looking to Facebook as the replacement for AdWords and its not.

Convergence I take it you are not a Facebook user?

5. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I can see Facebook Ads being used for branding and retargeting like display ads are used across the Internet. Too many advertisers are looking to Facebook as the replacement for AdWords and its not.
    Very good insight.

Convergence I take it you are not a Facebook user?
    I love my friends - but damn, I can only take so much bullsh!t political, religious, and stupid, mindless videos. Same people posting the same crap - boring.

I pop in on occasion - even go to ONE business related group that I joined. Other than that - not a big user, not a big fan of the lack of privacy nor airing one's laundry like so many do...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Need better Facebook tools to allow us to detune the conversation. I use notifications to keep track of close friends, family and colleagues but get tired of my stream showing people I don't want to unfriend but would like to tune out.

Facebook Ads targeting is very precise - at moving dollars from your bank account into the Facebook coffers.

More seriously, Chuck seems to have it well stated: "I can see Facebook Ads being used for branding and retargeting like display ads are used across the Internet. Too many advertisers are looking to Facebook as the replacement for AdWords and its not."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Thanks From:

"Jaywalking" and "Grooming Dogs" for example.
    Does that mean that the Ad will show up on news feed of only these people who "Liked" both of the interest pages on Facebook?
    Ad will show if they Liked at least one of them.

you can also take a look at Power Editor, a Chrome browser plug-in For Facebook Ads for more information about the Facebook ads.

"Just create a list.
    Need better Facebook tools to allow us to detune the conversation. I use notifications to keep track of close friends, family and colleagues but get tired of my stream showing people I don't want to unfriend but would like to tune out.
    "Just create a list for the one you would like to tune out, and keep them as friends they'll never know the difference."

How precise is Facebook Ads targeting?
    I just stopped following people I was friended to but didn't want to see their posts and that seemed to cut down on the noise.

Not much pro to fb ads targeting.. It feels like noise to me.. Yet for temporary increase in visitors on your site these ads are doing not a bad job.

This is good idea..... go for it.

How to Precise Is Facebook Adds targetting
    When advertising on Facebook, you define an audience that'll be eligible to see your ad. You choose this audience at the ad set level. Choosing a relevant audience for your business is important because your ad will be shown to people who match the criteria (ex: location, gender, demographics) you select.
    1)Custom Audiences
    2)Location
    3)Demographic
    4)Interests
    5) Behaviors
    6)Connections
    7)Partner Categories

I think Facebook Ads can be very precise. You see Facebook Ads uses your advertising message to effectively reach a targeted audience. Demographic targeting and Interests also can be used in reaching a wanted audience. The Interests mechanisms will allow advertisers to target Facebook users based on pages they liked and certain categories they choose. Facebook will know their preferences therefore narrowing or categorizing those with similar interests. making it easier for advertisers to promote products within their specific audience.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread