Smile What exactly is Duplicate Content according to Google?
    Hello Fellow Members,

I would like to post a question to the community and hopefully come upon an accurate answer.

Here it is: "What exactly is Duplicate Content to Google?"

I have read directly from Google that duplicate content is content which is considerably similar to other content on another page of the same website.
    Also...it seems acceptable to post duplicate content from one site to another provided that there is a link or attribution to the originating site with the original article.

Google indicates that this may be acceptable with proper attribution (syndication) to the original article for their indexing purposes. This seems to imply that Google in this case would index one url and not the other for the user on search results. On the other hand however, I have experienced serps with Google's caveat stating something to this effect "Similar search results have been left out. If you wish to see these similar search results click here." This would seem to indicate that duplicate content may be indexed even after proper attribution albeit not displayed in initial serp.

In my case, I have written several articles for one of my sites that I would like to use on another one of my sites. I am not comfortable doing that even if I give proper attribution as it may appear to be the beginnings of a link farm to Google.

Please chime in and give your experience and share your knowledge in this regard.

Thanks,
    -DPano

Quote Originally Posted by DPano View Post
    This would seem to indicate that duplicate content may be indexed even after proper attribution albeit not displayed in initial serp.

In my case, I have written several articles for one of my sites that I would like to use on another one of my sites. I am not comfortable doing that even if I give proper attribution as it may appear to be the beginnings of a link farm to Google.
    I think you've answered your own question here. I'm sorry that I have nothing more to add, but this is the problem that's pushing the need for original content no matter what.

I agree with what JoSourcing has said. I'd only add that there are two types of duplicate content. The duplicate content that appears on another site as you have described and also the duplicate content on your own site. The latter can be caused by over-optimisation and poor CMS structure and/or over-tagging. Google says it tries to figure out any duplicate content issues of the latter kind that it finds on your site, but IMO, it's better to limit that yourself rather than have Google figure it out.

If 100% content A written bij you is equal to 100% content B written by you, it will be duplicate content.

There will be another situation, if that content is curated ( "content curation" ) by C from A OR B, by taking a small excerpt with an url to that particular content ( so everybody can reed the original version and giving a thank you for copy-past ..... from my point of view with a 'nofollow' ) AND adding a meaningful supplement.

That addition is good for everyone, thus also acceptable for Google. imho

All the more reason to pursue the path of originality. Though in your case, with two different sites you manage, I can see how that might be difficult at times. -joe

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread