ABW Ambassador
    Browsers are said to hold 300 cookies. When that number is reached, the oldest cookies are automatically deleted as new cookies arrive.

How long does it take a surfer browsing through shopping sites to rack up 300 cookies? I started with no cookies on my system, and in an hour of browsing through flower merchants listed in Overture I acquired over 70 cookies.

Obviously, if you spent the good part of the day casually browsing through shopping sites, you could easily rack up 300 or more cookies.

So, what's the lifespan of a cookie? After you get done browsing through all the shopping sites, it's now time for your child to get online and start browsing all the Dragonball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, and entertainment sites. How many cookies will they rack up on the system?

Then one day to make cookies even more short lived, one of the family members decides they like to roam a few places they don't want the others to know about. They come across this marvelous site that offers a free download of System Mechanic. After every browsing session now they fire it up and delete all internet cache information, cookie files, typed URL lists...everything.

Merchants offering never expiring cookies? 365 day cookies? It's alittle humorous. That cookie is most likely not going to live a few weeks. On my system it wouldn't last 3 days.

"Our cookies never die and we're 100% parasite free" Hey guys, it's not like we're avid readers of World Weekly News, so you can go on and omit that part if you'd like.

ABW Ambassador
    Have never seen any 300 cookie limitation on modern browsers, can you produce a reference to this? THanks..

BTW, some of the reasons you stated are reasons why I don't necessarily obsess about a merchants cookie durations. A nice long one is a nice bonus, but, I don't view it as an essential component of my decision whether to promote a merch...

ABW Ambassador
    That's amazing! You responded the very next minute after I posted.

The reference to this is all over the internet.
    4k max per cookie, 20 cookie max per site, 300 cookie browser max.

I would be interested if anyone has information of new browser versions supporting more than this.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the 300 limit is for older browsers.

I currently have 737 cookies in my cookies directory.
    I've done a search through my index.dat file for some of the older cookies, and they still appear to be referenced in the index.dat file.

[edit:] Although http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/ Item #2.5 seems to support the 300 limit.
    I wonder if both Internet Explorer and Netscape still conform to the RFC 2109 limitations. Seems kind of outdated.

Haiko: why does the board insist on adding a _ into the url?

[This message was edited by Pete on March 18, 2003 at 04:06 AM.]

Pete: I think it's because of the bookmark reference in the addy, I'll look into it.

[edited to fix link and to answer Pete]

[This message was edited by Haiko on March 18, 2003 at 11:55 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2965.txt

I'm not seeing any revisions. It's a 300 minimum on general-use cookies looks like.

They're saying that as much room as needed for all frequent-use cookies should be allowed.

But it looks like the older general-use cookies are kicked out to make room for the newly arriving general-use cookies.

They've set the 20 cookie max per site to prevent sites from flooding and forcing out cookies from other sites.

Hey, these sites are doing a hell of job of flooding even with the 20 cookie limit. One big operation with numerous sites could control your whole cookie folder.

ABW Ambassador
    "minimum"

ABW Ambassador
    The minimum happens to be the maximum? The document says "minimum", but if the minimum has become the adopted maximum, then minimum and maximum have something in common in sort of an ironic kind of way.

mmmmmm, cookies

Microsoft never conforms to standards such as thoses in the RFCs.

Anyway, they are exceeding the minimums in the RFC:

quote:
    In general, user agents' cookie
    support should have no fixed limits. They should strive to store as
    many frequently-used cookies as possible. Furthermore, general-use
    user agents SHOULD provide each of the following minimum capabilities
    individually, although not necessarily simultaneously:

* at least 300 cookies

* at least 4096 bytes per cookie (as measured by the characters
    that comprise the cookie non-terminal in the syntax description
    of the Set-Cookie2 header, and as received in the Set-Cookie2
    header)

* at least 20 cookies per unique host or domain name

Mark......

Mark Mitford

Just checked: I have over 4700 cookies on my PC, I need to get out more often

Mark Mitford

quote:
    I have over 4700 cookies on my PC

so sell some before they get stale?

I have about 5,000 cookies on my machine dating back over a year. And they're not stale... seems that IE put em in the freezer But I'll keep em 'just in case.'

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I need to get out more often

No arguments there. :^)

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

Pete,

Just found out why the "_" was added ...

quote:
    it's quite common to incorporate javascript into an URL so we block anything that seems like javascript there -- in this case "cookie" since that is the most common goal of javascript exploits. Sorry for the inconvenience this causes to "cookie" domains and file names but the alternative is not a good one!

So basically, any domain with the word cookie in it will be broken.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've had as many as 20,000+ cookies on my machine at one time. Seemed to have been a function of Windows 98 task scheduler not functioning right on the delete cookie thing. For IE I always thought it had to do with how much space you set in your Internet Options for your Temporary Internet Files. I think how frequently ppl set their task scheduler to delete cookies is more of an issue than a 300 limit. I wish my computer had ever been restricted to 300 cookies. Or them turning on their privacy settings on IE...or Zone Alarm...or all the other tons of software that block cookies.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Why are they called cookies anyway? I think a better name is "Road Apples" or "Bread Crumbs" Road apples because they are sort of left and sniffed lated by the next dog. Bread crumbs b/c they sort of are used to find your way back.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar Cow Gifts
    Stallion Shoppe Horse Gifts
    Moochandise Cow Parade Gifts
    K9 CalendarsDog Calendars, T-shirts & Posters.

I got a bunch of new domains. I won't post them all after all of my messages again, but forgive me this one time, they are new

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ROLMAO to your astute observation ojmoo!

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I smell summer in the air

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread