Is Best Buy Leaving LinkShare?
    I just noticed that Best Buy put an end date on my terms of April 21st. Kindof alarming given that I haven't heard anything from them or their plans. Does anyone know what is going on?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

That's funny. I didn't even notice the end date yesterday.
    I just zeroed the datafeed out yesterday.
    Not worth the advertising space. Almost 100% reversals and/or return exceeded.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    Almost 100% reversals and/or return exceeded.
    That's interesting. I've done ok with them. Not great, but good enough to where I'd miss them.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Pulled them off earlier this year after the holidays. Returns Exceeded climbed out of control since January...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Pulled them off earlier this year after the holidays. Returns Exceeded climbed out of control since January...
    What is their cookie duration? I can't find a mention of it on their program details page. Why does Linkshare not show their cookie duration?

I ran the return days exceeded report for the year. It was fantastically bad. Like the amount of money I did not get paid was bigger than what I did get paid by a big margin. We are talking significant money too....

So.... What's going on? It does appear that return days exceeded has spiked versus last year. Also, is this a case of LinkShare showing us more data than we normally see and we would be appalled if we saw the same data from say, eBay, or Home Depot?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Return days is: ONE - they moved that from 3 in November.

Best Buy Parts also went to a 1 day from 3 a couple of days ago.

Yes, we would be appalled if we had the same data on other networks, despite LinkShare's 'incomplete' stats, re: signature ID in non-commish sales. One of the reasons we look at our own conversion rate, per merchant, versus any that the network shows for any merchant...

7. Thanks From:

Funny how they were a GoldenLink award winner in 2014 - course that's before the cookie change, mass returns, and mass non-commish sales. Happens when you base your affiliate business on coupon only sites...

9. Thanks From:

Yes, we would be appalled if we had the same data on other networks, despite LinkShare's 'incomplete' stats, re: signature ID in non-commish sales.
    There is this whole depressing thing with affiliate marketing where you have to innovate to stay even with your revenue numbers as cookie durations and commissions contract. I guess it has always been this way, but it feels like things are accelerating. No worries, I've always got another "big idea" to try out. Its like playing the lottery but with better odds. Every now and then you will "hit" a big idea and gold falls from the sky.

11. Thanks From:

Yep, change is constant, that's for sure. Innovate or fade away.

Unfortunately, bad terms, and "returns" (especially on LinkShare and LinkShare 'managed' programs) are way out of control. Not enough data and transparency for affiliates - the networks and merchants control the shots - and it IS accelerating. Affiliate marketing is no longer a performance channel but just another budget controlled marketing channel where affiliates are getting screwed - royally...

We've recently decided to stop adding any new merchants from LinkShare. 90 Day window for "returns" and slow-paying merchants, are two major factors. For the same reasons we've also started removing LinkShare merchants who are not affiliate friendly with bad terms and slow pay, and "managed" by LinkShare (ls_merchantname@network).

CJ is next...

14. Thanks From:

We've recently decided to stop adding any new merchants from LinkShare. 90 Day window for "returns" and slow-paying merchants, are two major factors. For the same reasons we've also started removing LinkShare merchants who are not affiliate friendly with bad terms and slow pay, and "managed" by LinkShare (ls_merchantname@network).

CJ is next...
    You would think that the managed by Linkshare accounts would be super responsive and willing to help. I'm certainly not seeing that, as I've recently reached out to a program through one of those ls_merchantname@network addresses and gotten no reply. I guess you have to call LS directly for everything?

16. Thanks From:

In a move that's sure to entice affiliates to promote them, Best Buy has updated their baseline offer:

Effective Friday, 4/17, the program┐s baseline offer will be moving to a flat 1.25% on all categories eligible for commission.

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chubstr View Post
    In a move that's sure to entice affiliates to promote them, Best Buy has updated their baseline offer:
    Yeah, they no longer matter to me. 24 hour cookie, 1.25% commission, they are dead to me... Now it amounts to free advertising for them... What a crock...

20. Thanks From:

Who do they think they are - Newegg?
    Last edited by Convergence; April 9th, 2015 at 01:14 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Exactly, and Newegg is dead to me as well. That's fine, more sales for merchants who pay more...

I thought Best Buy was trying to regain market share from Amazon? This is no way to do it...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I would love to see the rise of small merchants through affiliate marketing and big brands eroding away into oblivion!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I would love to see the rise of small merchants through affiliate marketing and big brands eroding away into oblivion!
    So would we - problem is some products are shopped almost solely on price and then, to those with Brand recognition / trust factor. Merchants without brand recognition are at a disadvantage.

Best Buy wasn't even competitive in Appliances. Yet, we sold our share. Their brand recognition and even their own store credit card goes a long way.

Not a dig on affiliates who's primary income is from Coupons - but this is who will be getting the majority of sales for these merchants, like Best Buy, who don't understand and properly manage an AFFILIATE program. Trust me when I say most networks managing programs have people who know nothing about affiliates and how they market. Most are just the merchant's buffer / mouthpiece and do nothing to manage anything in a program...

Hammer on the head.

Sorry ya'll i just noticed this change as well... as I said earlier with the Target mass commission reduction... this market is a sink hole that just keeps growing.

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread