Some Days People Just Don't Want to Buy!
    Just an observation.... I find it frustrating that some days, people just feel like window shopping. I wish I could look into the mind of every website visitor just to see "why" they didn't feel like buying yesterday, when the day before they were all ready to spend big!

So you know, significant sampling size, trend is clear across all traffic sources. People just weren't in the mood to spend a lot of money. I miss the days where people where leveraging their mortgages and going on outrageous spending sprees... Well, not really, look where that got us, but still.....
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Saw the same thing.

Tax man cometh...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

If you are talking "specifically" about yesterday (Thursday) and the day before (Wednesday) I saw the same thing on our checks sites. Wednesday was as good as any three days in March (which was our best month this year) - and yesterday sucked (less than half of an average day).

Edited to add: Surprisingly our AdSense revenue yesterday was up about 20% over average. So - for some reason - people were just doing the "window shopping" thing, as you suggested, yesterday.
    Last edited by Bill; April 10th, 2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added an additional thought...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If you are talking "specifically" about yesterday (Thursday) and the day before (Wednesday)
    Exactly. Some sort of social phenomenon. I wish I knew what it was... Convergence may be right about the taxes...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

8. Thanks From:

I'm so glad we are past the tax filing deadline. Sales have been super lackluster so far this month with a 30% YOY drop! I wonder what is going on with this tax season that makes it so much worse than last year? Was there a change in the tax laws that affected more people negatively or did everyone make more money and get caught off guard by owing more in taxes? Where is that savings from lower fuel costs?

My wife says I obsess over performance trends way too much. I don't know, I think that's how I survive. You see a negative performance trend and you "innovate" in order to keep ahead. It is stressful though....

10. Thanks From:

Was one little question:

Did you have medical insurance?

If not, here is the unconstitutional 'tax' penalty - bend over...

Oh, interesting. Here are the health insurance tax fees for this year:
    -Pick the higher of these two-
    $95 for each adult and $47.50 for each child, but not more than $285 total per family
    Or 1% of your family's yearly taxable income
    I was not aware of the 1% clause. In 2013, 16.7% of the population was uninsured. So that was about 45 million people? Interesting... Now CNBC says we are down to 11%. So that's still a lot of money to yank back from the economy, e.g. $8 - $10 billion dollars from people living paycheck to paycheck.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102581345

Are we seeing a trickle down effect?

13. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    When would the tax go into effect, when they filed. Would they then have to pay? I wouldn't think those effected would be the ones buying online but it could have a ripple effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    When would the tax go into effect, when they filed. Would they then have to pay? I wouldn't think those effected would be the ones buying online but it could have a ripple effect.
    The "penalty" is assessed immediately and deducted from any pending return. If your return is not enough to cover the "penalty" then you owe.

As for those affected not buying online - they do, in very large numbers. I personally have spoken to several 20 somethings, who did not have insurance (married and unmarried), and their "penalty" was as high as $400+, on some it nullified any return.

Now, take the few I've spoken with this year and multiple by 10s of thousands. There are plenty more not in that age bracket who also got a shock...

16. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That makes sense. Will be interesting to see if the press picks up on this. I heard the average tax refund was $2600.

Those that filed last night and discovered they were getting a refund must be busy browsing and planning on spending it as traffic last night and today has been very high.

Now to see if they buy before their cookie expires...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Those that filed last night and discovered they were getting a refund must be busy browsing and planning on spending it as traffic last night and today has been very high.

Now to see if they buy before their cookie expires...
    Well "some" of them must have had to write checks to pay taxes - and noticed they were getting low on checks. Yesterday was nearly a record day for checks sales for us. We had sales from five different domains and for each of the several merchants we promote. So "I" went shopping today -- but at B&M stores: Battery Warehouse, Lowes and Advance Auto. LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well "some" of them must have had to write checks to pay taxes - and noticed they were getting low on checks.
    I love how we all have these little insights into behavior. I'm probably not overjoyed that so many people had to write tax checks, but still, great insight, thanks!

More conjecture, than insight, isellstuff. But how else can I explain a near record day - in that particular vertical - on April 15th?

Today is looking pretty good, too. Maybe people put "re-order checks" on their to-do list as they were finishing taxes yesterday. (I know I had to write two checks this week - but I did that on the 14th - being the "early bird" this year. LOL)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Interesting discussions. I'll refrain from what I'd like to say. Now back to the station:

This is usually a good time for me for garden product sales, but while its been slower this year that the last couple of years, sales reported today have made it my best day this spring for the garden stuff.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

23. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I'll refrain from what I'd like to say.
    I tried...

"...sales reported today have made it my best day this spring for the garden stuff."

Funny you should mention that, Phil. That's exactly what I went shopping for - with my anticipated commissions from tax-day checks sales. I couldn't shop online, though. I picked up a new battery for the lawn tractor and a few bags of Scott's Turf Builder and Weed-n-Feed for the season. Now I'm on the lookout for a good deal on a dozen (or so) bags of mulch for Mrs. Beachy's flower beds. None of that would be cost-effective to ship - or I certainly would have shopped through your links.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread