OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Mobilegeddon!
    Was at a local SEO session last week and this came up. Looks like you need to have your site mobile ready by tomorrow or it gets dropped from G's mobile search. Why is this important? Because more than 50% of traffic is now from mobile sources.

Article here: https://www.internetretailer.com/201...riendly-google
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 20th, 2015 at 04:26 PM.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Not accurate, Chuck - Sorry.

You won't get dropped from the mobile SERPs.
    Our mobile traffic has never been even close to 50%, and it varies by type of product/niche...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Oh, and the Google said the first sites they are targeting are the SEO 'experts'...

4. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Joe and I were looking earlier and according to Google's webmaster tools checker, some of the top affiliates in the coupon, rebate and loyalty spaces aren't looking good as of now.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

6. Thanks From:

Convergence sounds like mobile doesn't effect you. We'll see where this goes, don't kill the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Convergence sounds like mobile doesn't effect you. We'll see where this goes, don't kill the messenger.
    50% of all search traffic is mobile - yeah, people who spend all day looking for youtube videos and what Paris Hilton is eating for lunch type search crap.

Sites won't be removed - it is a page by page penalty. Pages won't get removed, if your search terms you were normally found with do not include tons of competition then your page will be judged among the same search results. So if you have five other pages with yours, you're still on page one of the mobile results.

We will be affected - but it's not anywhere the end of the world.

Bigger problem are the merchants. If they are not found in mobile search results, then the chance of that visitor going out to compare or find like items can stop cold. That's where the affiliate suffers. Face it, Brand recognition is HUGE.

Not shooting the messenger - shooting misinformation - and I so love to butt heads with the SEO 'experts'...

"Mobile Friendly" is a misnomer - the algo is only about smartphones...

Surprisingly, over the last 30 days, 14.5% of our checks sales have been on SmartPhones. I just went in and looked at out CJ sales. Can't see that detail in SAS, but I would imagine the stats would be similar.
    Last edited by Bill; April 20th, 2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Removed verbosity.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

11. Thanks From:

Haven't been seeing doom and gloom yet on other SEO forums. Here's todays article by Shawn Collins: http://feedfront.com/archives/articl...28FeedFront%29

No drop on day one for us.

If anything, about a 10% increase - but yesterday was an overall higher traffic day so not putting much merit in the increase...

Through this morning am not seeing any less traffic than normal from any 'mobile' devices - smartphones or other...

It is a play on Armageddon; the end of the world.Mobilegeddon would indicate that people are so consumed/obsessed by their mobile devices that they are going to be the fall of humankind.

Quote Originally Posted by jyoti457 View Post
    It is a play on Armageddon; the end of the world.Mobilegeddon would indicate that people are so consumed/obsessed by their mobile devices that they are going to be the fall of humankind.
    Did you even bother to look at the article before making that statement?

(Rhetorical question)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

17. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I'm one of the firm believers of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Even with all this Mobilegeddon talk everywhere, I'm still very hesitant to touch some of my best performer sites which are not mobile friendly according to Mobile-Friendly Test. Goog algorithms will never end, but a good site with great content will always stands out.

Mobile traffic might be growing, but I'm wondering how many people order stuff from their smartphones or tablets. I myself will search webs, read stories, on my mobile devices, but I will only make purchase from my desktop computer. But that just me. I see all the young kids these days glue on their mobile devices every single second of their life texting, watching youtube videos, playing games, following celebrities... those mobile traffic are not going to turn into orders. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

To be honest, I think most of the "mobile-friendly" sites on the web look crapy with giant flash picture and huge social icons that takes half of the screen and very few informational links. That's another reason I'm hesitating to turn all my sites into mobile-friendly design. I do have a few sites that are made with wordpress templates that are mobile-friendly. They are not perform nearly as good as my other "not mobile-friendly" sites. There could be many factors contributed to the site performance, but again, I hate to alter things that are working fine.

19. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Just wanted to point out that Google did not include "tablets" in the mobile friendly update, only smart phones. So those of us that haven't made our websites mobile friendly yet should still be included in search results for tablet users.

Although it has been said before, Google confirmed on Twitter that the new mobile ranking signal, which is scheduled to launch on April 21st, does not affect rankings on tablets.

21. Thanks From:

CJ's transaction reports show the type of device on which the order was placed. We are seeing over 20% of our checks orders (at CJ) being done on Android phones and iPhones. Most of our "merchants" have mobile-enabled their sites, with Checks-Superstore and Bradford Exchange Checks garnering most of those mobile phone conversions.

I haven't touched GirlyChecks yet with a mobile version. I will eventually - but for now will live with what mayfly said: "if it ain't broke don't fix it." That has always been our most productive site and we are seeing big gains this year over last year - likely because we have realigned the merchants we feature (show first in our category search results). So it will adapt - but veeerrrryyyyy slowly. And thing to consider is that neither Bing nor Yahoo seem to care - yet.

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread