Need Guidance on Building Website For Neighbor
    Talking with my neighbor the other day and he's starting his own business. Something about civil engineering. It's nothing new to him. I told him I know how to put up a website if he wanted to go that route. I showed him what I had going and he liked it. I told him to point me to some sites about civil engineering so I can get an idea of what he wanted. I told him I can do something for him. He asked how much? I said I dunno and told I'll get some expert advice. That's the reason for this post. I'm sure someone here was in this spot and one time. So how do I figure what to charge him? I know domain and hosting costs. I will be providing all the keyword research and the content for the site. Time is on my side.

Thanks, Gus

Affiliate Manager
    No one here will be able to tell you what to charge him. It is all about what your time is worth and how much of your time it will take you. Some people could do it in an afternoon and charge a couple hundred, some people would take a month and charge a couple thousand. First step is determining what one hour of your time is worth, once you know that it's fairly simple.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello Gus. Once you have a basic scope of the project you can contact local agencies and see what they would charge. When getting started you may have to underestimate an up front cost then a follow-on hourly maintenance cost.

Thanks guys, I put together a rough draft. What do you think?

$500.00 - website build and design. Includes all necessary plugins including security.
    $200.00 - 10 relevant articles 500 words minimum and 1 homepage article of 1000 words minimum.
    $100.00 - maintenance per year (updates for theme, plugins etc.)*
    $60.00 - website hosting per year.* (I'm just adding him to where I have my sites.)
    0.99/$10.00 - domain first year only. Estimate price for domain, changes often. Could be less but after first year, price always goes up for renewal. Currently the price for a .com domain is 0.99/year. Then it's 14.99/year. This special offer of 0.99/year expires this month.

See it here: (I won't show it here unless you guys want to know.)

Non-refundable deposit of $50.00 required before start of project. Balance due one month after completed project is accepted. Payment options can be discussed.

One week for completed project considering the domain name is decided on.

Completed project does not include all 10 articles. Completed project includes one home page with 1000 words minimum and includes photos, links etc. and one article post of 500 words minimum. The remaining nine articles will be posted on a weekly basis, one a week.

*cost is the same to renew on a yearly basis

Gus

Looks pretty good. Do you define how many pages in the design?

6. Thanks From:
    Gus

Sounds like a plan. Also sounds like you are doing this on Wordpress (your mention of plugins) - which is a good thing for ease of maintenance. I would not use the .99/14.99 scale on the domain - I would charge a flat fee higher than the renewal because you have to take the time to purchase it, and set the domain pointers. Is he providing information/resources for the content for the 1000 word home page and the shorter narrative on the other pages. Photos may also be an issue unless you have an inexpensive source (iStockPhoto or the like) or if he has images that you can use. Be very careful about using something/anything image-wise you find on the Web. Just my 2-cents. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Looks pretty good. Do you define how many pages in the design?
    Yep, I forgot about the pages if your meaning the about, contact and so forth. I'll have to add those to the draft.

Gus

@ Bill - Thanks for the advice, I could use $15 for domain per year. He supplied a 10 page business plan about his business. Photos, I thought I would try and take some myself. I'm not that bad with a camera myself. I'm no Bill Swartwout but looking at some of the sites he showed me they just show photos of buildings and bridges and landscape. And Yes Wordpress is what it will be. I use Wordfence, it lets me know (email) if there's an update for anything.

Gus

Dollar photo is what I've been using lately for stock photos. Cheap and decent selection if you are looking at reducing time. Though photography in itself is never a waste of time lol
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Gus, it sounds like you're getting it together. Good luck with the gig.

I, too, use Wordfence. In addition to what you mentioned, it also updates itself; and me being the lazy ol' fart that I am, that is good.

Shooting your own pictures is, in my opinion, the best thing to do. That way you have something that no one else has - anywhere. Photography for web display is not quite as demanding as for fine art sales up to 40x60 inches in size. Just make sure, if you are shooting buildings that you keep the horizon level and main parts of the building perpendicular to the horizon. Many (far too many) stock photos have perspective and level problems. Be selective and you client should be happy - especially if you can show him a competing site with lopsided images.

And - thank you for that compliment.

Bridges?

bridge-night-square-500x500-fb-5340.jpg
    Last edited by Bill; April 21st, 2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Add sample photo.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

13. Thanks From:

That is nice Bill!!
    Last edited by popdawg; April 21st, 2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Forgot my smilie codes
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

15. Thanks From:

Thank you, popdawg.
    It's one of my favorite subjects and is only about ten miles up the Delaware coast from our beach home. It is truly a beautiful sight at night but is also interesting at all times of the day and all seasons of the year. (I would share some more but don't want to hijack Gus' thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    (I would share some more but don't want to hijack Gus' thread.)
    Share! Share!

18. Thanks From:

Something has me thinking. In my above draft I mention a non-refundable fee. Does this imply that there could be a refund on the balance? I'm having the articles written for me and they all would be done within 2 weeks of ordering them, maybe sooner. I would pay for them up front. I get a price break on articles of 5 or more so I would have to order at least 5. What should be the guarantee here if any? Should I take the payment options offer off? Any ideas are appreciated.

I like the idea of the upfront non-refundable deposit as a percentage and I've done as much as 25 - 50% for past projects. The balance is usually broken up with a payment at initial testing launch/review and then x days after hard launch to give further time to work out bugs, response testing, etc.

For smaller sites I would most likely go with 25% because your time and investment shouldn't be too great.

Having the initial deposit being that size gives you some funds to buy/register what you need, pay for any additional support you may need and ensure that there is a level of seriousness and commitment by the customer. I hate to say it, but some people will throw away $50 because they want to go in a different direction. Meanwhile, you're out time, effort, registration, and who knows what else.

But that's just me

21. Thanks From:

I always charge a setup for my services since in program management I can't get paid a rev share until the program is launched and matured. So I would say to charge at least your upfront out of pocket expenses then give terms. Right now I am waiting on $2k from a new merchant as he took advantage of 30 day terms. Already did the work two weeks ago.

23. Thanks From:
    Gus

Solid advice guys.

Thanks, Gus

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread