...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Review your affiliate applications, promptly...
    Yes, your are inundated with lots of applications, along with many other things on your plate.

Most times, when an Affiliate takes the time to apply to your program it's not just to have another merchant in their hopper. It's because the affiliate has a project where that affiliate thinks your program is a good match.

Taking more than a few business days to approve or decline is not good. 24-48 hours MAX.

If the affiliate's project is forthcoming, the affiliate may need additional time to review your site, your data feed, your creatives, etc. If the application sits in pending for more than a few days, it's a good chance the affiliate moves on to your competitor who is actively managing it's program.

Sometimes, the project is an update. Now your window of opportunity shrinks as there is less time for the affiliate to complete the update in a timely manner. Think seasonal and holiday promotions for starters.

And sometimes, the affiliate is looking to replace one of your competitors - this is a very short window of opportunity as the affiliate is not happy with the merchant they are currently promoting and is likely to put even more effort into marketing the replacement.

Bottom line - Review your applications quicker. You're not that large of a big shot that the affiliate won't move on...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Well said, and very, very true.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Well said that the way I think and look at applications exactly.

ABW Ambassador
    Well said Convergence.

When I am making a page for certain products, I usually have specific merchant in mind who I already affiliated with. However, sometimes a product search will result in a new merchant I have not had relationship with. In that case, I will apply to the new merchant's program. If it is not auto approved, I'll have to wait for the approval. In the meantime, my new page can't be left blank so I will put other merchants products on it.

If my new application is not approved in a day or two, I most likely will forget about the new merchant I applied(not intentionally, just too many other projects on my plate running a one-person affiliate biz). In very rare cases I'll try to contact the merchant for the review status. Most of the time I'll move on to the next merchant in line or whoever approve me first.

On the same token- if an AM reaches out and asks for more information because you wanted to join the program, please respond. There's nothing more frustrating that wanting to approve the site, but needing to know more before approval can take place.

It's a two way street!

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGalJuj View Post
    On the same token- if an AM reaches out and asks for more information because you wanted to join the program, please respond. There's nothing more frustrating that wanting to approve the site, but needing to know more before approval can take place.

It's a two way street!
    Fair enough, but that's not what this thread is about...

8. Thanks From:

I disagree that it isn't what this thread is about. My comment was really a reminder that there may be a reason that you haven't been approved and to check your inbox (for the email address you listed with the network). Sometimes, your application may still be unapproved because the AM is waiting to hear back from you. I talk to way too many pubs who are in our program, but have never actually seen communication from our program, simply because they use a spam or filter type of email address to deal with the congestion of emails sent through the network (which I myself am guilty of). Just something to keep in mind, that sometimes, it may be that you've missed an email from the AM.

Then we will disagree. The title of the thread speaks for itself in a forum that is Merchant specific.

Not talking about some lazy ass newbie affiliate applying to a program - I'm talking about lazy ass merchants who aren't reviewing their applications.

Start a new thread, in the appropriate forum...

My Apologies, oh mighty Convergence for offering a counter view. The caustic nature of your responses to anyone who slightly disagrees or offers a different viewpoint than you, is one of the reasons I choose to rarely post on this site at all. And for the record, I run into this issue just as often with experienced affiliate partners as newer ones. Again, my apologies for contributing to the conversation.

12. Thanks From:

Suit yourself. No skin off my back...

I agree with the thread starter but this is far from the reality in the modern world, especially with the amount of competition out there. Not to mention an effective affiliate marketing campaign requires hard work regardless. This involves tracking data from thousands of affiliates and responding to issues, and, unfortunately, that work isn't going to do itself...

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I totally agree with both the point of the initial thread and the post from the AM... I am a huge believer in the quick processing of applications when the right info is there and there's a good fit. I'll pretty much always deal with an app with either an approval, decline or questions within a few hours. From the managers side, it's definitely frustrating when you do this, then run into an affiliate you think has potential that doesn't respond.

The original point of the thread stands on it's own though.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread