A question about coupon sites
    I am in the startup phase of our affiliate marketing program. I am still trying to make sure I have a lot of the details down before we press play.

We have numerous coupon codes listed on coupon sites, ranging from big players like retailmenot and coupons.com down to obscure niche sites that target our customer base.

My question is this: If we move to a merchant-affiliate partnership with these sites, will they reset our existing codes on their sites and only accept paid coupons thereafter? How will they separate out the preexisting codes, or will they remain as they were?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Are you currently paying for those placements? Does this mean that they would not become an affiliate payment situation for them now instead?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

We only have free submitted coupons or ones that they have gathered by their own efforts at this time. Adding them as an affiliate partner would be a change to the relationship, as we do not have any direct communication with them at this time.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Both of the sites you mentioned have teams that manage their coupons on-site. You would need to reach out them with instructions on which to remove and which to use.

Most of the coupon sites will use a monetization tool (think similar to Skimlinks) to get paid for their existing coupon sites. The advantage of being an affiliate partnership is you can request old codes be removed and communicate with new sales as well as additional promotional opportunities.

If you decline these programs (who will immediately join one you launch), the codes will stay up as if nothing has changed. They have the codes for your traffic.

I hope that helps.
    Stephanie Robbins
    Robbins interactive

Thanks for the answers. Our primary worry is that we will lose several codes that generate good traffic, have great success rates based on lots of customer votes, and have a long history of positive comments. Will our only options be to start paying commission on those codes or have them removed?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Your key with these guys is to make sure that they are showing codes you want to have up and not showing codes you don't want up or having users submit non-channel codes. First, make sure your affiliate agreement has some language that governs the specifics of coupon/deal sites and establishes expectations around what codes are allowed to be posted, if user submission is allowed, clean up of expired codes, etc. Once you've done this, approach them as affiliates with clear expectations. If you have these issues addressed in your agreement, the expectations will be clear and you will have recourse with the network if they don't honor the agreement.

Once you have established a relationship, work with your rep to let them know what you want to stay up and hopefully, they will work with you.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread