We're a retailer of medical uniforms and are thinking about setting up our own affiliate program eventually. Our site gets quite a few people looking non-medical industrial apparel that we don't sell online.

I figured a good way to test affiliate marketing would be to serve, in part, as an affilate for another company...one that sells industrial apparel. So a few days ago we became an affilate of Wearguard.com .

How do you determine how the vendor's cookie works and its duration? Wearguard didn't have the info when I talked to them. My later email to them on that point hasn't been answered. Reporting.net, that runs their program, didn't mention cookie info and neither did the signup contract. Nothing in the FAQs

Is it possible we only get credit for sales made immediately after a clickthru? Isn't 30 days pretty standard for an apparel commerce site?

Is there a way to look at a cookie.txt file and decode it to determine duration? Shouldn't Wearguard provide this info or is it up to the program marketer to handle this kind of technical info?

-----------------------------
    By the way, this is a great group. Been here for the last few days reading posts. Hope the above question isn't too dumb. I've tried to get the answer on my own and can't.

ABW Ambassador
    According to their affiliate agreement, there is no cookie.

"An "Affiliate-Generated Purchase" will not include any products that are added to a customer's "Shopping Cart" (or similar device) on our site after the customer has exited and reentered our site (other than through a properly coded Link from your site to our site), even if the customer previously followed a Link from your site to our site. "

I learned the hard way that no-cookie apparel programs are to be avoided.

Jeff,

Welcome!

A cookie duration is the lifeblood of affiliate marketing! BeFree is most clandestine with the cookie duration of their merchants and that should be a sign of their "Reporting" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. But, Weargaurd should tell you the cookie duration in the agreement!

I called them and asked - (800) 272-0962 and spoke to Kara at extension 4573 --- um they do NOT have a cookie! ... So if the visitor does NOT buy immediately as a result of your link, right then and there, your outta luck! A zero day cookie :eek: RUN!, RUN away as fast as you can!

30 days is NOT the standard cookie duration for clothing nor in general it [the duration]is merchant specific.

I would suggest joining Commission Junction (our link) or http://www.cj.com and see how they do things there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I specifically asked Kara about cookie duration by phone when I signed up. She said she didn't know. Then I emailed her later with the same question and got no answer.

That's pathetic! We're a competitor of Wearguards in our retail stores (but not really online) and also a quality customer of a sister company of Wearguards.

I can't image that an affiliate manager wouldn't know the answer to my cookie question. Must be a common question they get.

----------------

As for launching our own program, I did look at CJ and tried to phone them. They only take voice mails and return calls later. Not impressive.

We're in a niche industry. For the roughly $1500 entrance fee I'm not sure they could offer us much. I also thought about handling a program on my own. I do my own sites (partially as a long time hobby) and could probably get something going.

Jeff,

I'll Private Message you a name ask for them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Trust me ... with 400,000 affiliates you want to use them!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    If you're thinking about setting up your own affiliate program, the certification guidelines at AffiliateUnion would provide food for thought. http://www.affiliateunion.com/cert/

They don't say enough about tracking, but what they do say is a good start.

Elisabeth Archambault

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread