Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Article by "expert" with little understanding of Affiliate Marketing
    From entrepreneur.com:

Affiliate Marketing Is Broken But Ecommerce Companies Can Adapt

Looks basically like a total lack of understanding of what affiliate marketing really is, but makes some interesting points regarding coupon sites.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    All of the issues with coupon sites he's brought up have been discussed before and can be addressed with a smart strategy and good tools. I didn't see any new ground at all in that article.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

ABW Ambassador
    What he said about coupon sites are true and I agree that merchants should build their own coupon pages on their sites.

However, he's completely wrong about cutting out the affiliates and the middleman(networks). Affiliate marketing is still the most cost effectively marketing channel for merchants , if they manage the program right(with the help of quality AMs and OPMs). Networks are playing an important role on affiliate marketing for providing consolidated payments, tracking, and in an ideal world, they should act as an advocate for both merchants and affiliates...

"I recommend directly calling the unique site or publisher you want for your partner."

Are you serious? Not only the merchant have to hire an entire team of employees just to sort, contact and negotiate with "the unique site or publisher", I believe most affiliates will not want to deal with every single merchants separately especially when they have dozens, hundreds, or thousands of merchants on their list. Plus, how am I suppose to trust the merchant's transparency on their own tracking system? Not that all networks tracking are perfect. Some networks might have problems here and there, but at least I trust most networks are doing a fine job for all parties benefits including themselves.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    From entrepreneur.com:

[URL="http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/245402"]but makes some interesting points regarding coupon sites.

Is it the time to cut down the coupon affiliates?

Unfortunately, the more I see the more I believe that many people just write - to write. They have little real knowledge but they have space to fill - so they fill it - with whatever.

Articles like that do more to hurt the industry than to provide any real guidance.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    What he said about coupon sites are true and I agree that merchants should build their own coupon pages on their sites.

However, he's completely wrong about cutting out the affiliates and the middleman(networks). Affiliate marketing is still the most cost effectively marketing channel for merchants , if they manage the program right(with the help of quality AMs and OPMs). Networks are playing an important role on affiliate marketing for providing consolidated payments, tracking, and in an ideal world, they should act as an advocate for both merchants and affiliates...

"I recommend directly calling the unique site or publisher you want for your partner."

Are you serious? Not only the merchant have to hire an entire team of employees just to sort, contact and negotiate with "the unique site or publisher", I believe most affiliates will not want to deal with every single merchants separately especially when they have dozens, hundreds, or thousands of merchants on their list. Plus, how am I suppose to trust the merchant's transparency on their own tracking system? Not that all networks tracking are perfect. Some networks might have problems here and there, but at least I trust most networks are doing a fine job for all parties benefits including themselves.
    I agree with you..

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread