Post Perhaps I Goofed
    Welp, I completed my first affiliate website two days ago and have been improving it and doing a little social networking... So far the site has gotten 400 sessions (most of which I think are spam), and I've only gotten 12 affiliate clicks, and 0 sales. On a positive note, sessions do seem to be on the rise. I'm already on google's first page of results when specific keywords are searched, but I'm really starting to think my niche might be too small. Did I goof?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    12 clicks and no sales doesn't mean you goofed. It takes time to build traction with an affiliate site, so don't be afraid to give it time. Don't rest on the laurels of being on the first results page - Google has been known to do that for a day or two then drop you way back, so keep building content to give them a reason to keep you in your current location. I'm assuming you did research on the niche and the merchants before you created the site to make sure there was indeed a market for the products? Are you only selling one product?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Hi Jeannine,

Good to know that it may take some time to get more traffic and clicks. I will work on continuing to add content. I did do research on the niche and the market for the products. I'm selling many products but they all relate to the niche, which I'm just hoping is large enough to get some sales. As far as I can tell I'm the only one on the web selling products specifically for the niche.

I just keep refreshing google analytics real-time and seeing 0 visitors... It's starting to drive me a bit nuts! lol

So my analytics updated today with the stats from yesterday... 6 hits : (

I'm seriously considering just chalking it up to experience and starting research for my next project.

That's actually not too bad, especially if you are in that tight of a niche. You'll want to keep growing that site - more articles, etc., so that Google shows you more love. Honestly, just because you are seeing your site in the results, that doesn't mean you are being seen by everyone everywhere when they search for your niche. You must earn that right by continuing to grow the site. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You just left the starting gate.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Why don't you put your site in the site review part of this forum?

Also there's no harm in starting another project, just don't ignore the first one.

Gus

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Guess I was thinking of this more as a sprint. I'll continue to work on it even if I start a new site pretty soon. Not going to post the site because of how untapped (maybe for good reason lol) the niche is.

Time to get writing!

Good attitude. Know that right now you are laying the foundation of something, and if you do it right, it will continue to perform on a wonderfully long on-going basis. It's also a wonderful way to learn the business, cause while you can read a lot and think you understand it all, it's never real until you've actually lived it. Kudos to you that you took the plunge instead of waiting! That first step is huge and you did it!

9. Thanks From:

"...cause while you can read a lot and think you understand it all, it's never real until you've actually lived it." So true, and thanks for the kind words : ) To have my sites perform the way you described would be absolutely great. Looking forward to keeping the ball rolling and hopefully finding success.

11. Thanks From:

Not sure where you got the idea that this is a sprint - unless you've been reading an online marketing guru or bought a course (filled with secrets). I also find it difficult to accept there are really any untapped niches still out there.

With all that said - Welcome to the forum. You can put a faith in what Jeannine has been telling you, she has BTDT many times and exudes experience. So settle back in and keep working on your first venture while you plan and begin your next.

You are many steps ahead of a lot of newbies here - y'know the ones who plan everything our to such detail that they never get started on anything. I've been doing this since 1999 (first site was actually online in 1997 but that was not a commercial site). Have I made mistakes and built sites that were terrible? You bet I have. Have I had some successes along the way? You bet I have. Surprisingly, two sites that I started in 1999 are still going strong and many that I have started since then have faltered.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

13. Thanks From:

There aren't any more untapped niches Bill, I got the last one lol. But seriously, it's really motivating to hear stories of sites with that much staying power. Appreciate you sharing your experiences!

So I published a new article today and did a some more social networking, and I think it paid off because I received a little more traffic. It also gave me an opportunity to offer a new product, which was cool.

I'm starting to zero in on my next project. Going to be more thorough with my research this time around, but I feel like I have decided on a market, just have to decide how deep within the sub-niches I want to focus. Really beginning to see how this affiliate marketing stuff may become addictive lol.

15. Thanks From:

Why give up so soon ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    Welp, I completed my first affiliate website two days ago and have been improving it and doing a little social networking... So far the site has gotten 400 sessions (most of which I think are spam), and I've only gotten 12 affiliate clicks, and 0 sales. On a positive note, sessions do seem to be on the rise. I'm already on google's first page of results when specific keywords are searched, but I'm really starting to think my niche might be too small. Did I goof?

Wow, I have a Blog up: http;//breakintoaffiliatemarketing.com & have only made $ 5.20 on
    Ad sense in 2 years , have not given up yet !

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread