View Poll Results: Which content management system (CMS) do you prefer?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wordpress

3 60.00%
  • Joomla

1 20.00%
  • Drupal

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

0 0%
  • CMSs suck

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Which content management system (CMS) do you prefer?
    Just curious what everyone is using. I used Joomla on my first project. Although I liked it, I found it kind of difficult to integrate with the Amazon Affiliate Store. Next project, I think I will be moving away from Amazon and Joomla, possibly to Wordpress and CJ.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Why would you limit any one site to products from just Amazon or any one network's merchants?

All of my sites promote the best available niche products from a variety of merchants, regardless of network, though with the caveat that some networks are significantly better than others and a preference to stay away from merchants, as much as practicable, who have chosen those bottom-end networks.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

My plan was to combine sources for my first website, then I ran across the amazon astore, which allows you to embed your custom store in your site. It streamlined the whole process, and looked decent, so I went that way.

CJ's version of the same thing looks even nicer in my opinion, but (I believe) visitors are redirected to another site to make the actual purchase. Was thinking I'll experiment with it because I can build a site relatively quickly, have it look nice, and source from multiple merchants.

Is there a way to create a "store" that allows you to sell from multiple merchants/networks?

I prefer hand coding individual product links but it is very time consuming. Thus, in recent years I've gone to some of the third party datafeed aggregators fairly extensively. For building shops with products from multiple merchants across a variety of networks, the best by far is Popshops. I used to like Sellfire also but their customer service went from very good to non-existent and numerous bugs, especially with their WP plugin, were never fixed causing extensive problems so now I say stay away from them. Golden Can is also pretty good but does not provide the specific product options PS has, and they are in practice much more expensive.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Wow, didn't even know third party datafeeds existed. I really like the look of Popshops, but they are wanting a monthly subscription fee or a chunk of your commission. I think if my website started earning a decent amount, it would definitely be worth it, but I like the idea of using CJ's feed to test the waters. I should say, this is only my second affiliate site, and I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible because I still don't know what I'm doing.

Something else I'm probably going to do differently this time around is implement a really nice theme. Was drooling over the wordpress themes on themeforest last night. Can anyone give some advice on what type of theme I should be looking for? I'm confused if an eCommerce theme would be best or maybe just a blog-style theme, because I'm not actually selling products directly.

1. PS used to have a free 10-shop option, but that was before Rakuten bought them, so they may have dropped that.

2. I like the free WP 2010 and 2014 standard themes.

Cool, I will check out those themes. Thanks for the advice... Think I'm going to like WP.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
    Cool, I will check out those themes. Thanks for the advice... Think I'm going to like WP.
    I, too, use Wordpress (self-hosted) and I also like and use the two themes that Phil mentioned. There are a gazillion themes out there. However, the folks at Wordpress make sure the themes they develope are updated to be compatible with any source code updates - as they occur. That cannot be "guaranteed" by anyone else.

Example: The photography blog in my sig is on WordPress and uses the 2010 Theme.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread