Question Best Practices for Tracking Your Affiliate Links?
    Hi everyone!

How do you track what affiliate links are driving sales for you? I use my affiliate network reporting, but I've got more than 1000 blog posts, so I'm not really able to tell what post resulted in a sale. What should I be doing to better track this? Is there something in Google Analytics I can do, or do I need another tool for this? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    I use a tracking system of my own using PHP/Mysql.

Links on my site will look like mysite.com/jumpto/<a numeric link id>
    A mysql database hosts all the link ids with their corresponding affiliate link.

The jump script will get the affiliate link from the database, add a session id+link id as the sub id to the affiliate link and then transfer to the vendor site. Once I get the reports form the network, I can bounce the ids off of database to get what link ids converted.

The session ids are logged into the db for each new session. The session ids tell me more about the users like location, browser used, mobile or not, the regular analytics stuff.

3. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubstr View Post
    but I've got more than 1000 blog posts, so I'm not really able to tell what post resulted in a sale.
    You can add a tracking id to each link on your post. For CJ links, add ?sid=xxxxx at the end of the affiliate links. For SAS links, add afftrack=xxxxx. For Linkshare, add &u1=xxxxx.

That's how I track where my sales come from. Not as fancy as Sam's system, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    You can add a tracking id to each link on your post. For CJ links, add ?sid=xxxxx at the end of the affiliate links. For SAS links, add afftrack=xxxxx. For Linkshare, add &u1=xxxxx.

That's how I track where my sales come from. Not as fancy as Sam's system, but it works for me.
    This is super handy - wasn't even aware I could do that. And the XXXXX can be whatever I want to use for identification? For example "?sid=61015article" or something?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubstr View Post
    This is super handy - wasn't even aware I could do that. And the XXXXX can be whatever I want to use for identification? For example "?sid=61015article" or something?
    Correct!

Thanks for the tips - this is exactly what I was looking for!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    You can also do so on Affiliate Window by placing &clickref=xxxxx right after your affiliate ID. It's easy to create using the link builder tool.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks JCrooks! Good to know. I'm wondering how larger affiliates and/or companies that make affiliate offers a main part of their business are handling implementing and monitoring this kind of tracking. Sites like Polyvore or a coupon site - I can't imagine they're adding these codes to every link manually, are they? I'd love to know what they're doing, since I'm looking at scaling things up pretty quickly.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If you are specifically interested in discount codes and promotions, I think most networks have a way for you to access a datafeed from all of your merchants (I know Affiliate Window does for sure!). There are also some great external services, such as FMTC.co which offers discount and promo feeds as a service for a monthly fee. I know they have offerings from just a few dollars a month all the way up to big services used by some of the top coupon sites globally.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    If you are specifically interested in discount codes and promotions, I think most networks have a way for you to access a datafeed from all of your merchants (I know Affiliate Window does for sure!). There are also some great external services, such as FMTC.co which offers discount and promo feeds as a service for a monthly fee. I know they have offerings from just a few dollars a month all the way up to big services used by some of the top coupon sites globally.
    Thanks for the info! I think we'll mostly stay away from promoting coupons and discount codes unless we have direct deals with merchants. My biggest question is really about scaling something like this. For companies that have thousands of affiliate products in their shop, how are they handling affiliate tracking above and beyond what a network can give you? Are they creating links by hand? My gut tells me, probably not, especially if they're a large company. I'm trying to think about how to scale this so that I don't have to add another step to the already long process of creating and entering an affiliate link into my shop.

I have been looking for a way to track this for several weeks now and I'm coming up empty handed! Did you ever find an efficient way of tracking all of your affiliate links? It would be so handy if I could have ONE dashboard to check those stats from.

If you are specifically interested in discount codes and promotions . it's same mind

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread