Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all!

We were going to sign up as an affiliate of AllPosters.com - However, now we are leaning toward Art.com

Art.com has a larger selection of the type of poster we want to carry. Also, Art.com had a certain poster we want that AllPosters listed as out of stock.

The commission structure and all seem to be exactly the same.

Does anyone have any experience working with either or both companies?

Thank you!
    Anna and Paula [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Paula,

With the right traffic All Posters does okay.

You probably should join both and make two sales pages and cross link them with a text link at the bottom of each page that says:

Click Here For More Pictures, Posters And Artwork.

Test them out with PPC ads - Then see which one converts the best. Keep the other one but then only promote the better converting one.

Anna & Paula,

I am an affiliate of both AllPosters.com and Art.com. Both programs are excellent programs. My advice is to choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Take a look at my sites for both these programs:
    http://www.best-posters.com
    (AllPosters.com affiliate)

http://www.american-posters.com
    (Art.com affiliate)

Both of these sites were created using different scripts that I wrote.

My AllPosters script is available for free (the only thing I ask for in return is that you sign up as a sub-affiliate under my AllPosters account). You can either run the AllPosters script yourself on your machine or if you want I can run the script on my machine and build for you a posters section that you can add to your website using a custom template that includes your affiliate id#, logo, and that generally matches the look and feel of your site. Just let me know what categories you want to include and I'll email to you the HTML files and all you have to do is upload them. I have full details about my AllPosters script and instructions on my website at: http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/allposters

At the moment, you can't run my Art.com script on your machine, but I'll create the pages for you (similar as above) and email them to you as a .zip file. I don't yet have details online about my Art.com script, so if you want to add Art.com pages to your site, sign up as my sub-affiliate by clicking on "Join Our Associates" at http://www.american-posters.com and then send me an email at: info2001 (at) cusimano (dot) com and let me know what categories at art.com you want to include.

If you want to automatically include Amazon.com products then you can use my amazon.pl script (sold separately at http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/amazon). See an online example at: http://www.great-posters.com/children/c11995-the-li on-king.html

BTW, I'm also extending this free offer to anyone else reading this (on a first come first served basis) who wants to add posters to their site.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per David Cusimano

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: cusimano ]

cusimano,

Welcome!

Can I ask a Q?
    What is this per David Cusimano stuff?

Haiko

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:

Can I ask a Q?
    What is this per David Cusimano stuff?

Haiko,

Thanks for the welcome message!

Let me explain the "per" - it is not meant to disrespect anyone but rather the opposite. It is actually part of our overall operating philosophy. When I started my company, I set down certain basic core principles that would guide the company. These include:

1. When someone sends out any communication from our company, it will carry with it the weight of the whole company. We want people to know that we stand 100% behind what we say and do. As such we sign everything under the company name and then add in the 'per' to specify the person's name. I was looking for a way to sign my messages "David Cusimano on behalf of Cusimano.Com Corporation" and I discovered that the short form for this is simply "Cusimano.Com Corporation per David Cusimano". Also, my understanding is that "per" is the standard for written correspondence in the business world. As such, the "per" is not to disrespect anyone, but rather the opposite.

Some other principles we operate under include:

2. We will ourselves use every software product that we offer so that we know exactly what works and what doesn't and what needs to be improved. We are ourselves affiliates of several affiliate programs and as such we can see things from the affiliate perspective.

3. We will participate on the message boards (and not hide behind our desks). We're just getting started on this one. I discovered Abestweb after the CJ boards went down and several users commented to me that most have moved over here.

4. We will make ourselves available to our users (all of our customers can directly contact me, the president of the company). And, I've been known to chat online (via instant messenger) with some of our users around the world.

5. We will offer software products that deliver value to our customers. For example, as you can see in my previous posting we facilitate anyone to set up lots of Allposters or Art.com pages on their website for free (in exchange for signing up as our sub-affiliate) and we'll even build for free HTML pages for the affiliate that generally matches the look and feel of their site. Using this sub-affiliate approach in this case we only make money (from the merchant) when our customer makes money. The result is that we have a big incentive to ensure that our customers make money from their affiliate poster pages. I see this approach as win-win-win (ie. subaffiliate-us-merchant).

We're just a small company but so far I believe we have the right approach that many affiliates appreciate.

Thanks Haiko for offering this board to everyone and I look forward to participating here on Abestweb.

I wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per David Cusimano [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    http://www.cusimano.com/scripts

David,

Thank you for clarifying that ... what a great rationale and honorable position!

I have seen your scripts while being a supporter and customer of anaconda.net, I can honestly say I'm really impressed with the functionality and price of your scripts. I would like to place a link on our "partners" page for Cusimano.Com Corporation ... PM me or email me a blurb and an image and I'll make it happen.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Haiko

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

I use David Cusimano's scripts and have only great things to say about them. Thanks to abestweb members and David's amazon.pl, December at Amazon was an almost $1k month. I've posted in the amazon discussion board and mailing list extensively how I put Davids script to work, and I haven't even touched everything it is capable of.

I also use the allposters script and am in the midst of making templates for an all new site that I'm very excited about.

Very glad that art.com will get its own script.

David has also been very responsive to suggestions on improving the script from the end-user perspective. He also answers what are probably the most obvious questions to him with a lot of patience.

This was not a paid advertisement. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] The Anaconda script was on my wish list, and amazon.pl put pretty much all the features I wanted into a much more affordable price range.

webmistress,

You referred a REAL GEM!

Haiko

I also use David Cusimano's script and I can say I'm very happy with him and his scripts. I started using the Amazon-script which works great. After that I started using the allposters-script and right now he's assisting me with setting up 3 complete art.com stores. he runs the script after I send him my templates and when that's ready I can transfer the files from his server to mine. The first posterstore is already online and two others will be online later today or tomorrow. Right now I prefer Art.com over Allposters because the site created with David's Art script looks better than the site created with the Allposters script.

I have to say that a dedicated server is recommended when you want to setup a complete Art.com website. The site is something like 600 MB big (all categories).

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Matlok ]

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Matlok ]

Welcome Matlok.

Quiet777

Thanks! Nice forums. I already feel myself at home here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi David. I have a couple of questions. ( they may be silly -- remember I am new to all this )

I looked at the URL's that you posted and Matlok posted. The thing that struck me was that they were very similar to each other and to the actual Art.com web site. I thought an affiliate was not supposed to mimic the merchant site. (not an accusation, just a question)

On the script you are providing, is this what it does - mimic the merchant site?

I am not a programming whiz - lol to say the very least. So, for programming dummies, like me, could you explain what we can do with your script. I don't want to mimic the merchant site but want to have my own style to fit with what I am doing. I don't want to put up a copy of art.com or amazon.com with all of the products. I would like to feature what I am interested in.

Also, for Matlok and others -- what would be the point for you to set up 3 art.com stores for yourself - all the same? Again, just a newbie asking.

And if a person were to sign up under David, would they still get the 20% comission?

Thanks so much for your time! I mean well, just a little dense at times!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Vicki ]

Someone of Art.com has already visited my website and she saw the sites looked familiar to her. She didn't say to me she wanted a different design for the site, so I think there's no problem with it.

The reason why I use the script of David is that this way I get a complete website with lots of pages and content so people can choose between a lot of posters. Also a site with so many pages is attractive for searchengine spiders. Maybe multiple pages will get into Google (that's what I hope).

I'm using multiple domains so there's more chance of getting ranked in Searchengines. Also each website can have it's own metatags to attract different visitors. I have to say for me it's not expensive to do this. I've got my own dedicated server so there's (actually there was - I get a new dedicated server with more space) enough space to host lots of sites.

I must say I'm only an Art/Allposters affiliate since a couple of weeks so I made no money with it yet. Right now my sites are being spidered so I hope they will be listed soon in Searchengines. When that happens I'm expecting to earn some money with these sites.

I'll jump in until David gets back....

The templates are completely customizable, though the structure of the category tree will be the same as the merchant.

To run the script you do need to be able to access a command line (telnet) on your server. You will need to pay attention to how you set up the templates to get good google standing. If you want to put time into each category template, you can put individual ad spin on each category page.

I am not planning on making a whole site around the complete list of categories available, and you don't have to. If you have a kids site, there are very nice kids posters and photos available. You can choose to make only that category and...

In your templates add any spin you want, and...

ANY LINKS YOU WANT (did I say that loud enough).

AS to why someone would want the whole shebang of categories...just imagine 3 sites of over 10,000 pages each being spidered by Google.

Yes, numbers do talk, though some targetting and ad spin will make them talk louder and spend more [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

AS with cj.com, by signing up under someone you do not effect your earnings at all, just the person who brought you in gets paid by the company for having brought you in (and in David's case brought you in and given you tools to earn by).

So to sum: there are certain aspects of the pages which are set by the script, but the templates are totally customizable. You can run sub categories in any area that you are interested in marketing those posters. And you earn 20% (or more at art.com if you perform well) even if you sign up under David to get free use of his script.

HTH.

quote:
    AS to why someone would want the whole shebang of categories...just imagine 3 sites of over 10,000 pages each being spidered by Google.

If I had a shared hosting-account I'd never put all categories online. I know how much bandwith that can take. However, now I've got enough bandwith available. I hope it stays that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    To run the script you do need to be able to access a command line (telnet) on your server.

or
    you can install active perl on your PC and run the script on your computer.
    I found that this is the best way to tinker with the templates.
    Just adding a few lines of code to the templates can make a difference of several MB to the finished site size.

Then when your happy upload the site to your server [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But when you upload to the server either have a fast internet connection (I'm on 56k6 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]) or first compress all files you want to upload to the server to filename.tgz (I use Quickzip for compressing) and extract these files in your webroot using the command "gzip -dc filename.tgz | tar -xvf-" (without "")

yeah, what matlock said [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . I have a 56k dialup, and my system is very, very finicky about what I install. I never got around to installing the ActivePerl (maybe next puter,hehehheheheh), so the idea of uploading all those files.... :eek: I like telneting in and running it all on my host's server. Okay, I have a few windows open, it's true: the HTML editor, the telnet window, the file manager (oh I guess it's now called explorer isn't it?) and the FTP client. And my browser to see what it all looks like.

My idea of a fun video game, what can I say? Just call me geek-in-training.

I honestly have fun, since tweeking the templates and the .ini file to make literally tens of pages is very gratifyingly little labor.

I don't want the whole shebang of categories because there's plenty of stuff in there that I don't want associated with my site (oh that reminds me, I hadn't caught some of the posters in the "garage decoration" suggestions and need to go edit that page).

And I want focused sites.

But for any focus, I think that there could be a use for the script. In fact, I recently had a bad experience :mad: with a new host (account already cancelled) when among other things they didn't allow enough memory for me to run the script. I don't have too many sites in my little immediate future list that I don't plan on using the poster script(s?).

Someday I'll have ActivePerl installed, but then I'll also go ahead with MySQL, PHP, oh what other new toys do I want???

My host had also forbidden me to run these scripts. Especially amazon.pl because they said it caused too much serverload. That was the moment I decided to get a dedicated server (not running amazon.pl costs more money) and I love it. I can run what I want to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

With these postersites I'm a complete newbie. In the next few months I'm going to tweak the pages to get high rankings. Right now I've no ranking at all, I just submitted the sites to the most important searchengines.

(I also have not played a videogame in months)

Matlok,

Welcome!

Haiko

I've never heard a peep from FutureQuest about my running the scripts. Most of the poster subcategories I have run took me under 1 minute to run (though StinkHost told me that it looked to them like it needed about 108Mb to run and they default at 50Mb).

I had forgotten to set my amazon.pl cachesize and logged in to FQ one day to find myself over my 50Mb limit. Oops.

edited to say: I don't play video games. Having all those apps open and putting together the next set of pages to hit the Search Engines is my video game.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: webmistress ]

I know you meant that. That's the videogame I also like to play now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have the AllPosters script and made pages for everything. It takes up a lot of space, but I have lots of sites and some extra space on each one. So I split 'em up...

I did get the ActivePerl and run 'em that way.

Uploading tends to hang. I think the problem's at the host site although I've got 56k so even when things are working it's slower than molasses and I still haven't gotten even one site's worth uploaded. It tends to upload a lot better on Sunday morning or in the middle of the night so I figure the hanging is at the host end or due to net congestion during regular hours.

I'll have to check out sending them as compressed files or I'll be old before all those pages get uploaded and live...

Matlok, where would I input that command you mentioned? (That kind of stuff isn't my specialty to say the least...)

As for video games, Aff. Marketing in general has been my video game! Being able to spend the score in the upper right of the screen is nice...other than that there's a lot of elements that are the same. But sometimes it's nice to play a regular vid where if you get killed it doesn't literally cost you!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by Vicki:
    I looked at the URL's that you posted and Matlok posted. The thing that struck me was that they were very similar to each other and to the actual Art.com web site. I thought an affiliate was not supposed to mimic the merchant site. (not an accusation, just a question)

On the script you are providing, is this what it does - mimic the merchant site?

Vicki,

My allposters.pl and art.pl scripts allow customization. You can change the colors and layouts to match the look and feel of your website through the use of templates (which are just HTML files that you can create to include your header/logo/footer/navbar/etc).

You can see how I've made several different variations of allposters.pl templates at http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/allposters/ (scroll down to "Samples" section).

Ideally you want your affiliate pages to maintain the general look and feel of the rest of your website and at the same time incorporate elements of the merchant's website. There is nothing wrong with having an affiliate website look similar to the merchant's website. If the two look similar then there is more of a smooth transition when the user clicks through to the merchant website. If the two are totally different, I've always thought IMHO that the user may be thrown off a bit and may have second thoughts about buying.

My website http://www.american-posters.com and the one Matlok mentioned are similar to art.com's website. There is one important difference in that my website (and Matlok's) say "In association with art.com". Also, consider the concept of franchise restaurants -- all McDonalds, Subways, KFC, etc. maintain the same look and feel across each franchise -- this helps sales, not hinders sales.

quote:
    I am not a programming whiz - lol to say the very least. So, for programming dummies, like me, could you explain what we can do with your script. I don't want to mimic the merchant site but want to have my own style to fit with what I am doing. I don't want to put up a copy of art.com or amazon.com with all of the products. I would like to feature what I am interested in.

Both scripts let you select what categories to include. Some users want just one or a few categories that match their website content; other users want every category and want to open a full poster store. If all you want to do is show a handful of posters on your website then it would be faster for you to just cut and paste them. If you want to add hundreds of posters from a particular category, such as Actors posters or Animals posters, then it's much more practical to use a script to create the pages.

quote:
    And if a person were to sign up under David, would they still get the 20% comission?

If you sign up as an AllPosters.com sub-affiliate under my AllPosters.com affiliate account, your commission is not affected. AllPosters.com still pays you the 20% commission. I get paid a separate 5% commission directly from AllPosters.com. Art.com uses a similar set up. I think this is fair considering that I offer the script (or created HTML files) for free.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Leader,
    I've had that problem with my free FTP proggie and certain hosts. ONly occasionally at FQ does my FTP client hang. ANd then if I pull out WS_FTP lite, or whatever their free one is called, it doesn't hang. I want their pro one, it's on my wish list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast