about blogger
    Is there any blogs for bing like blogspot?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    why? Building affiliate properties on free third party services that give you sub-domain addresses is a waste of time. Get a domain and a hosting account and start building a brand and a business. I'm shocked at how many people want to make money as an affiliate but won't invest $50 for a domain and a hosting account where they can actually start building something trusted and meaningful.

Relying on free third party platforms is crazy because they can change the rules on things like whether affiliate linking is allowed at any time and start scrubbing them out and undoing your work.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

3. Thanks From:

Be calm, Wade.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    I'm shocked at how many people want to make money as an affiliate but won't invest $50 for a domain and a hosting account where they can actually start building something trusted and meaningful.
    I have to respectfully disagree. I live in a country where people are lucky to have one family member earning $80 a month. For many people, $50 is a big deal. Free blogging platforms give people a chance to experiment and make mistakes and learn their trade. I have made money from blogger blogs. I have made money for merchants from blogger blogs. I've been rejected out of hand for affiliate programs because I presented a blogger blog. I believe this view is short-sighted. If you're worried about the platform pulling the rug from under your feet, do a regular export of the blog, then you can import it into another platform.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. I live in a country where people are lucky to have one family member earning $80 a month. For many people, $50 is a big deal. Free blogging platforms give people a chance to experiment and make mistakes and learn their trade. I have made money from blogger blogs. I have made money for merchants from blogger blogs. I've been rejected out of hand for affiliate programs because I presented a blogger blog. I believe this view is short-sighted. If you're worried about the platform pulling the rug from under your feet, do a regular export of the blog, then you can import it into another platform.
    Yea right! You got him. LOL. Back to the topic, there are many blogs out there you can use except for blogger. It doesn't matter if you use free blogging or paid domain as long as you generate income. Having a free blog can be much advantage especially for newbies. You can try wordpress because this is a seach engine friendly blog and you can get cool themes as well.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Keep in mind that it's not a good user experience to see so many sites targeting the US which are of such poor quality - stolen photos, bad English, scrapped content - completely untrustworthy. Sometimes it makes searching on a term just impossible.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Keep in mind that it's not a good user experience to see so many sites targeting the US which are of such poor quality - stolen photos, bad English, scrapped content - completely untrustworthy. Sometimes it makes searching on a term just impossible.
    Blogger is a platform. The things you mentioned can be found on any platform. My point is that Blogger can be used for quality. Whenever I search for anything I find nothing but coupon sites. Google is really squeezing content affiliates out of the loop.

I'll agree that there can be quality on there. I know that I always encourage affiliates to have their own sites and hosting for the reasons Wade mentioned - terms can change and a site can be wiped out with no recourse. He and I have both seen it happen. It would be a shame to see that hurt to ABW members, so that's a huge part of the reason why we wanted to make sure that affiliates understand that on free sites such as Blogger, all of their work can disappear in a heartbeat and there may be nothing they can do about that.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

If you think you've created something of value, make regular exports of the blog, then you can transpose to a different platform if need be. (You can have the same problem if you host your own sites, if the host goes down and doesn't have a backup and you don't have a backup - I've been there, read the book, seen the movie, waited for the musical...; - )
    Otherwise, just learn from the experience, improve on it, start again - at least you haven't lost money in the learning process.
    I'm playing devil's advocate here, because I miss the old ABW and would like to infuse some life into it. And because I genuinely learn from every response. And, despite what I say, I stand by everything I said.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I just look at it from the perspective of what is the best long term play for the affiliate and for us in terms of revenue. How many affiliates do I see in our programs driving real revenue with free subdomained blog sites (blogger, blogspot, etc)? Not many. In the end, if you want to build yourself up as a trusted authority on something, it's way easier to do that with a brand of your own and your own domain (at least upgrade to the paid version so you can brand your hosted blog) vs using "something.somethingelse.com" - how many people will remember that?

I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, but I'd recommend from my experience that if you do this, that you bump up to something you own in terms of brand and hosting account that you control ASAP as free services changing the rules and screwing affiliates is a real risk and has happened a ton of times.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    In the end, if you want to build yourself up as a trusted authority on something, it's way easier to do that with a brand of your own and your own domain (at least upgrade to the paid version so you can brand your hosted blog) vs using "something.somethingelse.com" - how many people will remember that?
    Why would an affiliate be concerned about 'branding' their site - or about establishing themselves as a 'trusted authority'? An affiliate's job is to refer customers and sales to branded merchants. Why are AMs so concerned about the long-term prospects of their affiliates, to the point of refusing them admittance to the program in the first place?

Because if a merchant is going to permit an affiliate to have the merchant's banners or text links on that site, the site better be complimentary to the merchant, not just something slapped together. A "trusted authority" site will reflect much better on a merchant, and as a result perform better. Merchants don't want a revolving door of affiliates that come and go constantly - they want to build long-term, stable relationships. Affiliate churn and burn will never result in a great, long-lasting, successful program for a merchant; instead it will cause constant work of approving a never ending stream of poor quality affiliates, investing time and effort into them, only to have them disappear fairly quickly.

OK, I'll bite the bullet. "Trusted authority" is some bullshit that shovel-selling gurus sold ten years ago to gullible Internet marketers. What affiliate is a genuine authority on anything they sell? Why would they want to be? An affiliate who is a genuine authority on anything they promote is in the wrong business.

Sorry, but I must disagree. I've met many affiliates who have a passion for what their site is about. They don't just pick a topic based on payouts, but rather on something they love which they can then write about and monetize. Those people are in exactly the right business. Affiliates who could care less about the product, the ones who think they can promote anything and only care what the payout is, are acceptable for some types of lead programs but not for most merchants. I dare say many don't care about whether they are delivering quality traffic to a merchant, but instead focus on generating as much money as they can, as quickly as they can, before they bankrupt a merchant with bad traffic and just move on to the next one.

I'm not talking leads, I'm talking sales commissions. If an affiliate doesn't send 'quality' traffic to a merchant, there'll be no conversion. Since when did any affiliate bankrupt any merchant by sending 'bad' traffic?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread