Anyone do the free 30 day trial at City Max.

They are new guys on CJ - looks like a know brainer to sell.

The have a template that build billboard web pages - which is exactly what every business on the planet shoul have if they want to be on the web and use it as advertising like they would a listing in the yellow pages for $30 per month.

My problem is - you make the sale and get $30. They get the customer and make $330 per year and beyond.

Not exactly a fair deal for affiliates. If we got $30 and $5 per month, I'd sell 1,000 of them by February.

How do I know...we are building a similar program.

What do you all think of their system and templates?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like a Digital City type deal offered through AOL. A web presence template without traaffic to the billboard sites still reeks of a con job at 30.00 monthly. Olm.net has a portal hosting package with multiple domain sub-hosting and a site template building tool for those who want to start their own City-Max

Mike,

We have been doing some home work of late on SE, WebSites etc. 90% of small businesses do not have a webpage even a billboard one.

And finding them the ones who do not have a website is easy. How?
    (You gotta pay for that info - hehehe)

Basically $30 per month for a billboard website is chump change compared to the Yellow pages.

A similar type page in the yellow pages runs close to a grand a month almost anywhere.

The problem with billboard pages is the design and time to do them. You can make a
    page easy enough. But most of them do not look too good, nor do they have the right stuff as copy so the page can be used effectively as advertising which is exactly what they should be used for. They also are not set up with good meta tags, descriptions etc. And submitted to enough SE and directories to make it easy to find them

For example: The other day I was looking for a local accountant. So I went to my favorite search engine and typed in Accountants, Las Vegas. 1 accountant in the first 20 listings - none on page 1. On Overture there were 6 none of which were paid ads.

Seems to me it has to be worth $30 a month for an accountant in any city or town to have a bill board web page that shows up in any search engine.

One good client and he pays for at least 10 years worth of hosting.

Seems to me $100 per month would even be a good price to pay if he got just one client per month.

We are online all the time, so we start to think as if everyone else is just like us.

How much time does an anyone who is a professional doing relatively decent business
    have to dick around online. NOT MUCH. So how is he going to find the $7.00 hosting. Who's going to build his page? Who's going to set it up right and submit and get him listed in any search engine. He could do it.

But he would be losing money wasting his time
    learning how to do it, when he could pay some one $1495 including hosting for the first year to do the whole enchilada and
    not have to worry about it.

I ran into some guy who, is infinitely smarter than me. He has sold 200 of these billboard sites for $200 per month each. And they are all built with a series of templates. He pays $20 for the hosting and keeps $180 per month per site. He sells one or two a day, except Wednesday's...he plays golf and get's leads from the golf course.

He is making $36,000 per month !!!!!!

He had a small restaurant owner who had just bought his deal. I went with him and I wrote the copy for the owner and had him set up a 2 for 1 coupon page.

I got a call today. The restaurant guy redeemed 10 coupons over the weekend and increased his sales by over $500.

I mean we are talking - a week ago last Tuesday. The guy had a website in less than 30 minutes after he told us what he wanted to say and I spiffed it up with some marketing tricks. Popped him in FastSearch and VegasValley.com FREE classified and all the Jim Tool's listed search engines.

He's a happy camper at $200/month.

And I'm on the lookout for a hosting portal to do the same thing - except I'm going to
    use sales reps and pay them big bucks.

Going to have a form for the buyer to fill out with complete details and have them faxed to us, and we will build the web page
    and submit it to the search engines etc.

We are all missing the boat big time.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Fred;
    The reason I mentioned OLM.net hosting with a full blown template site building tool like offered by CityMax, Multi storefront shopping cart/e-catalog by Miva.com, free e-mail accounts, community building scripts, URL or sub domain hosting was for that very reason. Hell a government bizdev guy from Indonesia picked my brain on this 15 months ago for a countrywide trade group portal site. Never paid me a dime for uncovering the quick solution but now has 1200+ paying merchants/mfgr's hosted on this at 79.95 a month total cost. They just translate the billboard sites it into several languages at 200.00 month.

These can work for corporate presence type sites and small business retailers budgeted at 30.00 per month. The problem with any ASP application hosted in-house like CityMax is they are destined to take every account down with them if they fail. All major listing Billboard sites for the real estate market -restaurants -country clubs -Local Contractors went under losing the mini-site owners web exposure -directory & SE listings this last year. Trade association and local merchant groups are a natural for this service if the webmaster spends time getting SE listings and main page traffic. CityMax looks good for an opportunity but who are they for taking it the extra mile ...remember all the ASP photo sites, smallbiz accounting sites, and other template driven ASP hosting services that went bellyup on their customer bases. This bothers me ...but maybe not someone like you who can see the immediate selling potential. Citysearch and Digitalcity and many local newspaper holding companies tried this approach but all ran off with the money or blew through those investor bucks and died.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Mike,

I know the problems - and I think I have them all worked out.

I got it all but the template stuff, but maybe we have solved that over the weekend.

I don't want to get in the shopping cart, online business crap. If merchants want that they can come to guys like you.

I just want businesses who are going to use their simple one to five page sites as they would use a listing in the yellow pages.

We buy a listing for them on Inktomi, pop them into Fast Search and they should be pretty set as to being found. And we provide
    a monthly traffic generating service as part of the deal.

The key is to have it all outlined so sales reps can sell it and then pay them very well for their efforts.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread