Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Opinions on affiliate marketing training?
    I'm trying to determine the validity and value of certain training programs. As I continue to research affiliate marketing, I've come across ClickBank University, Wealthy Affiliate, and Affilorama. All of these look very enticing, and while there are free levels within each, it appears the real value comes from being a Premium member; the challenge of that currently, is the price - upwards of $1000.00 to join. Perhaps it's worth it, but that's what I'm trying to determine.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    You can get a free education here by reading the threads, including many threads on those types of courses. Before you pay anyone a penny, use the search function to find existing discussions about exactly that.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Thank you very much. I can already see that participating here is going to be very valuable.

ABW Ambassador
    This how I look at the affiliate training courses, though I have never paid for one.

They are
    1. high on unattainable promises
    2. more marketing than substance
    3. make affiliate marketing look easy, so they can sell their courses
    4. gives the impression that affiliate marketing is template driven
    5. most of what they package in their courses are available for free here and elsewhere(google)
    6. expensive(hey, they are selling you a dream, it gotta cost something)

Having said all that, it's still extremely difficult for a new affiliate marketer to scan the universe(including ABW since the ABW search functionality doesn't really work) to find the right information to come up with a road map. There are many questions a new aff marketer has to get answers. And it involves both questions about affiliate marketing and technical questions like domains, hosting, language, platforms etc.

I would suggest you buy,rent,steal a book first. There are one or two good ones like Shawn's. These books won't give you the key to the bank but at least you will know what questions to ask and what to research.

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to Shawn Collins? I've not heard of him, but just did a quick Google search under "Shawn affiliate marketing." I appreciate your thoughts on the training. All points that, rationally, make sense. If it was as easy as they make it sound, I think everyone would be taking advantage of it.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep. Shawn Collins of Affiliate Summit.

Great. I'll definitely look into him. Currently reviewing Extra Money Answer, and it seems very practical.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Extra Money Answer is awesome because it is practical. It at least gives a good blueprint for how to set up a platform based on something you own and control vs getting started on some free hosted platform that you're going to have to leave eventually. He's got some good practical info in there on traffic driving, etc. as well.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Skip the courses, jump in and start doing! If you run into trouble, ask questions either here or with the affiliate networks you are working with, there is a lot of advice and help out here!

There are so many facets of affiliate marketing and ways you can apply it. At the base level it's really a tracking solution for earning commissions. So there are really a few specific things to do and learn.

1. Affiliate Networks
    - How to join them, what do you need to already have built to be accepted by the networks.
    - How does the network or networks you choice to start with work? Joining programs, pulling links, tracking results, etc...

2. Affiliate Programs
    - What companies do you want to promote and earn commissions for? What can you sell to your audience?
    - What networks are those companies in? If you have a specific category you want to promote, say flowers, you may have to join several networks to be able to market the best flower companies.

3. Your Business / Site
    - How will you promote these companies?
    - Are you building content, and app, a game, newsletter, etc... Really affiliate promotions are a good way to monetize just about anything, but you need to figure out what you are passionate about, build an audience, and figure out how to sell to them.
    - If you are not building your own audience, you need to come up with a way to identify and market to someone else's audience. (Think buy advertising).

At the end of the day, I think the people who do best at affiliate marketing approach it scientifically. The do the following:
    1. Come up with a hypothesis.
    2. Run a test to test your hypotheses
    3. Analyze results.
    4. If it works, keep doing it, if not, start over with a new hypotheses.
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; June 26th, 2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: removed promotional information

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    way to work in an unpaid ad post.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

13. Thanks From:

Thank you. I appreciate the recommendation. There's just so much information out there, and for someone knew, you really have to see through all the hype, half-truths, and lies. Even though I have a full time job, I don't have a lot money to apply to an affiliate marketing business just yet. So I certainly can't afford most of the training programs in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
    I don't have a lot money to apply to an affiliate marketing business just yet. So I certainly can't afford most of the training programs in existence.
    Rich - that is the good thing about affiliate marketing, there isn't a high cost to entry. If you are willing to put in the time and effort you can make money via affiliate marketing. It's not a get rich quick scheme though, like many that would ask you to pay for training would have you believe. My advice, set very small specific goals, reach them, and then set new ones. Try something, if it works figure out how to keep doing it or scale it, if it doesn't try something else.

16. Thanks From:

Sounds good. Up to now, the hardest thing has been deciding what web site to create, what to blog about, and what content to create. I realize that once the light bulb comes on about what I want to communicate to people, the content will flow. I never thought it would be so difficult to come up with an idea though. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

I never thought it would be so difficult to come up with an idea though. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.
    I highly suggest focusing on your passions first. What are you passionate about that you would like to try and build an audience around? If you are not passionate about the subject it will be very hard to want to keep working on it.

The other thing is you might want to think outside the box, you don't necessarily have to create websites to earn as an affiliate. Think about how you can identify people with specific problems and market solutions to them.

19. Thanks From:

The other thing is you might want to think outside the box, you don't necessarily have to create websites to earn as an affiliate. Think about how you can identify people with specific problems and market solutions to them.
    That sounds interesting. Could you give an example?
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; June 26th, 2015 at 11:07 AM.

That sounds interesting. Could you give an example?
    Let's say you are on twitter and see that a lot of people are having problems with a new virus. You could research the best anti-virus tool that solves this problem, and start letting people know how to fix them. You join the anti-virus affiliate programs and market the best product to resolve the problems. People announce their problems all the time in social media, and many times the solutions are available via advertisers with affiliate programs, if you become the problem solver and help people with their issues, you can earn cash on the way.

I heard of one person who just started offering a concierge shopping service, people would tel them their needs, they would research and find a great solution and earn commissions on the way.

There are many ways to skin the cat, don't get too caught up in any one definition of "affiliate marketing".

Adam

22. Thanks From:

That sounds great. I really appreciate the input. Thank you!

Anytime!
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; June 26th, 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yazing View Post
    Let's say you are on twitter and see that a lot of people are having problems with a new virus. You could research the best anti-virus tool that solves this problem, and start letting people know how to fix them. You join the anti-virus affiliate programs and market the best product to resolve the problems. People announce their problems all the time in social media, and many times the solutions are available via advertisers with affiliate programs, if you become the problem solver and help people with their issues, you can earn cash on the way.

I heard of one person who just started offering a concierge shopping service, people would tel them their needs, they would research and find a great solution and earn commissions on the way.

There are many ways to skin the cat, don't get too caught up in any one definition of "affiliate marketing".

Adam
    I hope you are not telling him to post affiliate links on social media such as twitter that PROHIBIT the practice. You can interact with other users on social media but you still need a website and if you are posting links in order to promote sales, those links absolutely must be to your site and not DTM (Direct to merchant).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

26. Thanks From:

$1000.00 to join.
    The only thing you might learn there would be how to sell an infoproduct for $1000. And no matter what they call it, its real title always is "The Deadend: All new brickwall ready for 2015-16!!!".
    Wanna learn how to make money in AM - find someone who's doing just that and figure out how they do it, because noone will just tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I hope you are not telling him to post affiliate links on social media such as twitter that PROHIBIT the practice.
    Phil,

Good point. I was trying to give him an example of thinking outside the box.

You should certainly follow ALL the rules of any specific site you are working with. I don't know much about twitter's specific affiliate policy, but I thought it was more about posting misleading links, than posting affiliate links in general. I think if you can work in your FTC disclosure that it's an affiliate link you might be ok.

For social media, you may need to link to a pre-sale landing page first that provides the necessary ftp discloses to make sure you are not misleading. Even here, you may not have to build these pages yourself, you may be able to use a platform that provides this for you.

Feel free to email me directly if you would like to discuss further.

(Adam will soon have enough posts to add a sig!)
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; June 27th, 2015 at 08:47 AM.

29. Thanks From:

All good info., and again, that's why I'm here. At this point, my primary focus is on building a niche site that I can enjoy, and one where content creation won't be a struggle. I know I'll have to utilize the various forms of social media, but I can't put the cart before the horse.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Twitter absolutely does have policies against misleading postings in general, but buried in their TOS is a very specific statement saying that affiliate links are not allowed.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

32. Thanks From:

I would be wary of any Get Rich Scheme. Shawn Collins is an excellent resource as is this forum. Once you decide on a niche, don't forget to contact your affiliate managers. Affiliate managers are paid to help you.

Shows such as Affiliate Summit and ThinkTank are great places to learn and network.

Not sure where you live but see if there is an Affiliate Meet Up near you. I head up one in San Diego. I am amazed at how willing people are to offer advice and mentor newbies.

I also strongly encourage you to have develop a website and think outside of the box and within the T&Cs once the site is developed.
    Stephanie Robbins
    Robbins interactive

34. Thanks From:

I actually never had an issue buying training, hiring mentors etc... It kind of saves you the time of having to piece everything together on your own. Just make sure you don't become a product junkie that buys every new exciting thing that comes along... When I started 8 years ago I would study and apply at the same time, it's more important that you move from the learning phase to the action phase relatively quick.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a training course. The ones you mentioned are all pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast