To Be a Successful Affiliate, Do You Have to be Passionate about What You Promote?
    I'm sorry, but the idea that affiliates have to be passionate about the products they promote is bullcrap. It was put into circulation some time in the murky past by shovel-selling "gurus".

Because gurus were saying it, soon everybody was saying it, and because everybody was saying it, it had to be true. Right?

Wrong.

The last affiliate commission I earned was for a water filter cartridge. Am I passionate about water filter cartridges? Do my visitors regard me as a "trusted authority" on water filter cartridges? Hell no.

Find out why here: exploding affiliate marketing myths #1

2. Thanks From:

I totally agree, but I believe this mantra came about to assist newbies who have no experience in marketing or selling and have no idea where to begin. I think that even if you've sold successfully at a flea market or yard sale, you can easily let go of this idea. Once you have some success promoting "stuff" you like, you can expand.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thank you for your input, Renée, always appreciated.
    I'm toning my posts a little aggressively on purpose - trying to generate some debate.
    I must say I find the "trusted authority" concept especially distasteful - I will explain why in detail, but that will be the subject of another myth-busting post.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Being passionate about making money works too. Bottom line is you need to be able to dedicate yourself to building and fueling the engine that drives your sales. With newbies, it's easiest to get started with something they are passionate about because it gives them a starting point that makes sense. Once they get the basic skills down and get a system together that works at getting them to the right place in the sales funnel, there's no reason it can't be applied to things like water filter cartridges.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Being passionate about making money and being passionate about the things you make money from are two different things. I agree that newbies need some kind of a 'hook' into the business, and starting with a niche they care about is not the worst way to start. My concern is when these ideas become such dogma that experienced affiliates are denied access to a program for not presenting their 'passion'.

In terms of applications from affiliates, I like to see some connection to the fans we're looking to sell to, but I also look at the sites submitted in applications to see if the affiliate is capable of generating quality content that is professionally presented in other spaces, realizing that they can port this ability to our market. I'll usually also reach out in cases where I can see some quality work to ask some questions on what they have in mind. In the end, I can teach what works for promoting my program. I can't teach the motivation and commitment required to build a successful affiliate business if it's not there already.

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes its a Catch-22! And I can see the other side of the coin as professed by the money making gurus, you don't have to care about anything other than how to make money as fast as you can. I remember a classmate of mine from high school talking to my older brother and saying he should quit his job with Pepsi and join a stock broker firm. Didn't matter if he cared about selling stocks all that mattered was that he cared about making money. The friend said you can tell people whatever you want to sell them these stocks, its all about selling. My brother is still with Pepsi and will retire there while the other guy got fired for lying on his job application.

Yes we do tell newbies to find something they are passionate about to get started rather than pumping them to sell the latest and greatest Clickbank info product. I don't think anyone here is being insincere and seems there are different levels to that comment.

Curiously, most affiliates who come in through "guru" systems stick out like a sore thumb through their cookie cutter approach and bad sites and don't get approved much. The only thing most guru's are good at selling is their own stuff.

As a corrective, since I've been beating up on "passion" here: I'm passionate about all kinds of things. But I'm not passionate about any of the things that I make money from in affiliate marketing. And I'm not passionate about making money per se. The things I'm really passionate about are non-monetizable.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Then would it be safe to say you are passionate about being self sufficient? Passionate that you set your own direction and rely less on others to make your way?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Then would it be safe to say you are passionate about being self sufficient? Passionate that you set your own direction and rely less on others to make your way?
    Yes, Chuck - thanks - it's safe to say those things. I burn candles for things that I won't go into here. It isn't appropriate, and my passions rub up against so many people's belief systems that it would generate the wrong kind of controversy for this forum. Going back to your former analogy - Pepsi is one product I would never promote. (So is the Stock Exchange!)

The last affiliate commission I earned was for a water filter cartridge. Am I passionate about water filter cartridges? Do my visitors regard me as a "trusted authority" on water filter cartridges? Hell no.
    Hi Vampire, is this a niche automated site? Or a product apart of a larger site that you take pride in updating every day? Reason I ask is because as a "newbie" and probably like most other "newbies" I don't know how to create those niche sites that for the most part are set it and forget it (note: I don't even know if that is a thing). To a newbie the best route seems to be, pick a passion, build the brand, take care of your audience and then make sales. I think most newbs are lured by the idea of the automated "set it and forget it" model, which you don't have to have passion about, but in return lets you sit on the beach drink a beer and watch the cash roll in.

Hi Micah

I would love to be able to work from the beach, watching the cash roll in, as you put it, but I'm not in that lucky position LOL.
    I have a day job, teaching English. It keeps me grounded, and the students here are really delightful to work with (Cambodia). Every day I learn so much from them.

I still have a few affiliate sites, but I'm not doing much as an affiliate any more since I migrated to the other side of the fence - affiliate management.

Yep, the sale I referenced was from a niche automated site. It's actually a really good WordPress plugin that will pull in a datafeed and create a page for every product. Trouble is, it's no longer available or supported (despite being sold with 'free lifetime upgrades'). It hasn't been updated for a couple of years, but is still working, for the time being.

Nowadays it's hard to make a full-time living as an affiliate marketer.

Since you are a programmer, one avenue to explore might be php. If you can develop some sripts that will import a product datafeed into MySQL, and dynamically build product pages, automatically substitute words in the product descriptions to make them more unique, regularly update the datafeed via ftp, delete expired products and import new products - if you can set all that up, it's a lot of work, but once you have it down pat, you can apply it to any merchant that provides a datafeed (most do nowadays).
    Anyway - good luck and best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post
    Nowadays it's hard to make a full-time living as an affiliate marketer.

Since you are a programmer, one avenue to explore might be php. If you can develop some sripts that will import a product datafeed into MySQL, and dynamically build product pages, automatically substitute words in the product descriptions to make them more unique, regularly update the datafeed via ftp, delete expired products and import new products - if you can set all that up, it's a lot of work, but once you have it down pat, you can apply it to any merchant that provides a datafeed (most do nowadays).
    Anyway - good luck and best wishes.
    Ya, if only I would have stuck with one brand/website back in the day, I may have a deep content rich community right now. I remember in '09 when I met Wade on the phone I was dabbling in doing a Fanatics feed, but I never followed through. You still have to build the magnetic content that keeps fans, that is where I want to save time and let someone better do the work.

but I'm not doing much as an affiliate any more since I migrated to the other side of the fence
    I should try and find a part time gig with an accomplished system to help and learn.
    Last edited by Micah-Mtalk; August 21st, 2015 at 02:46 PM.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread