Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    In response to some BeFree posts on this board, we have tracked and are paying over $23,000 in affiliate commissions this month. December is just starting.

BeFree does have some issues, but overall on the merchant side, we own the relationship. Hire a good affiliate manager that takes the time to communicate with his affiliates and you have a winning combination.

Just me 2 cents, comments are welcomed.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Andy Rodriguez ]

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Andy Rodriguez ]

ABW Ambassador
    Got my Tiger check last month. Thanks.

However, I am done defending Befree. From the affiliate standpoint, they are the worst, by far, of the 4 major networks, and the association is hurting good advertisers with good programs.

I want to thank and congratulate all of our affiliates that generated sales in November. Due to a lack of space, I am only posting the top 25 affiliates in this post, however there are many more of you out there and you all have been contacted individually.

Affiliate Net Shipped Sales
    dealnews $ 13,210.79
    techbargains $ 11,268.05
    Netfree $ 10,843.49
    Got Apex $ 8,915.68
    Internet Shoppers $ 6,049.84
    Calling Card Heaven $ 5,668.93
    CommonName $ 5,630.31
    Ben's Bargain Center $ 5,583.79
    DailyeDeals $ 4,678.93
    Schoolpop $ 4,393.09
    NC-MALL $ 3,655.02
    iGive $ 3,132.05
    Cabozone $ 3,039.92
    Blink $ 2,956.84
    Frugally Yours $ 2,849.46
    anewShop $ 2,579.83
    Sharif $ 2,505.91
    Savings Count $ 2,451.49
    Cash-Us $ 2,226.37

December and January are great months. Place those banners, continue
    generating sales and i'll see your company here next month.

**** November commisions have been processed and are being sent
    overnight to BeFree.

Thank you again,

ABW Ambassador
    Um, how does publishing information like this in a forum like this (twice, no less) mesh with your privacy policy?

I certainly wouldn't want my info published like that if I were one of your affiliates.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    >Calling Card Heaven $ 5,668.93

We have ONE sub-agent that sells 4 times that in Calling Cards each month.

Adam,

Those are not calling card sales. Those are computer product sales that that merchant referred to us.

I'm sure that merchant kicks butt with their own product !!

AR

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry
    Thought you meant http://www.callheaven.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    EcomCity.com -worlds most complete shopping community -Merchant TigerDirect
    From 10/01/2001 To 10/31/2001
    Affiliate Site # Shipments Shipped Sales # Returns Returned Sales Net Sales Site Revenue
    EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community sales= 33 Gross sales=$4,787.67 returns=1 $69.99 Net Sales= $4,717.68 Total Commissions= $188.71

Guess I'll someday make Andy's list which obviously only includes those who received a check. Mine's somewhere in the BeFree cue since November.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Mike,

I only posted November numbers, you are qouting October figures.

Ecomm didn't make it into top 25 in November...i was even surprised.

AR

Andy,

Thanks for posting the who's who of your affiliates - it shows everyone what can be done and that even some not so big sites can make some money.

And it gives everyone a chance to go look and see how each place is set up and ideas on how to actually make sales.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    33 sales=$188.71?!??!

Let's see (getting out calc.)
    188.71/33=$5.71 avg. sale

And for that, affiliates get rewarded by having their info plastered all over the place for leeches to rip off their methods!

Also they get told not to post in certain ways!
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Funny how the BEST performing merchants never pull that kind of stuff, and only post info with specific permission--but the 5 buck a sale one says how he "owns" the relationship and shoots his best performers in the back!

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

That is exactly why we don't need our ID's all over the place.

I think I would freak big time if I was on a list like that. 'Hey come to Francis' site! Why bother doing things for yourself when you can just thieve pages?!'

Great for the merchant though. Well, until some furious affiliate catches up with them.

I like seeing figures, but I only need to know the names if I'm up to something nefarious.

f

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of programs make public their top affiliates lists.

Anyways, if you see what this guy has done and is planning to do with Tiger's program, it is VERY positive. Have any of you bashers even looked at what is going on with that program?

It is great to see this in a reporting.net program (not all of us are going to put our trust in Lex's basket). And frankly, Lex might want to take a look at Tiger's program and he might learn a few things.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    A lot of programs make public their top affiliates lists.

That's okay if -- IF -- the affiliate has given permission for such information to be made public. Andy didn't answer my question about how this fit with their privacy policy, or if he did I missed it.

Elisabeth Archambault

Frederick,

The purpose was exactly that. I kept out sensitive data, commissions earned, and other info that could be used to damage these sites. These merchants, have arrived here due to hard work and determination. We reward partners that show an effort and know how to manage their business. By someone simply visiting a site, "taking" their ideas, will not guarantee that that person will achieve similar results. If you want to play in this game, you need dedication, customer service, commitment and GREAT PRICES. That my friend, cannot be borrowed or stolen from any other website. Tiger has worked hard at that for over 12 years ! Here is an example of what we do day in day out: http://www.tigerdirect.com/EMAIL/MIL226_A.ASP

As to the bashers, we were in a transition process, as everyone of us in this industry begins at the same point. Nobody wakes up one day and has a 200k affiliate organization with 2 million dollars. We are way beyond those transition days. I started at Tiger in August, coming from a 5 year online advertising background in multiple online agencies. TigerDirect's affiliate program is on the right track. We have been there, done that. Now is the time for affiliatess with the "it can be done" attiude, not complainers to join us. We are doing it, we have grown 200% in Q4. I invite any body that wants to take a sincere look at our program to call me, e-mail, ICQ me, send smoke signals, whatever...I am here to grow this program, and it will grow! Who is with me?

quote:
    Originally posted by Professor:
    Andy,

Thanks for posting the who's who of your affiliates - it shows everyone what can be done and that even some not so big sites can make some money.

And it gives everyone a chance to go look and see how each place is set up and ideas on how to actually make sales.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Andy Rodriguez ]

I'm not some five year old who performs better with a gold star in front of the class.

Any merchant that did that to me will have tracked his last.

f

I wanted to add my thoughts to this. First off I have been doing affiliate marketing since 1998 I guess that makes me somewhat of an old timer in this business. I don’t think Andy did anything wrong from his prospective, and I think it is wrong to criticize him so harshly. I simply don’t think he understands where most of us are coming from.

There are basically two types of affiliate sites as I see them:

1. The affiliate site that is based upon repeat visitors, relies on a large volume of traffic, usually has some non-sales content on the site, and only targets keywords in a generic sense. The potential sale would go something like this: while checking the bargain blaster, www.bargainblaster.com , for new deals, I come across an offer to buy ram at Tiger. I think ah that is a good deal, and I have been thinking about buying some more ram so I go to tiger to buy the ram. I think this is the type of site Andy is thinking about when he says that copying their ideas won’t guarantee success, and I believe he is correct in this observation

2. The affiliate site that is built around a couple of keywords, as little as one program, or even one or two products. It is not generally designed with repeat visitors in mind; the site is usually smaller in the number of pages, generally the content on the site is limited to the webmasters own spin on why this is a good product or service. The focus of these sites is to satisfy an immediate need. Say I have to get new ram for my computer today. I go to google and type in “super good cheap ram” the top result points me to an affiliate site, www.super-good-cheap-ram.com, that convinces me that I must go to Tiger to buy my ram today so I do. Chances are I will never return to the site that referred me to Tiger. The hard work in building sites like these is finding/researching a profitable niche and the right products, services and merchants for that niche. A lot of times it takes months of trial and error. It involves swapping keywords and merchants at each re-index of the search engines until you come up with that magical combination that attracts sufficient prospects and has a sufficient conversion ratio. Say the Super Good Cheap Ram site is one of your top affiliates and you send it out in your newsletter. Say a couple of thousand people go look at it. If only 10 of those people decide to copy that site’s keywords and niche the original site is in trouble.

Say the original site made $400 per-month in commissions from you before he was published. The traffic for the original site was generated mainly from a #1 ranking on google for the term “super good cheap ram” and pay per-clicks listings at Overture and Findwhat where the #1 spot for those terms could be purchased for $ .05 per-click.

After the next Google index www.super-good-cheap-ram.com finds that he is now #10 behind:
    www.super-good-cheap-ram.net www.my-super-good-cheap-ram.com www.cheap-good-super-ram.com www.super-good-cheap-ram-central.com www.leaders-super-good-cheap-ram.com www.malibbers-super-good-cheap-ram.com www.thecouponguy.com/super-good-cheap-ram.htm

and so on

He also finds that that the number one bids in Overture and Findwhat for “super good cheap ram” are now $.75 per-click. Running the numbers on his spreadsheet based on last month’s conversion rate shows that bids at $.75 would not be profitable. So now all the original site (the one that did all the work) is left with is a number 10 listing in Google which will yield him $30 per-month in commissions instead of the $400 per-month he was making. Tiger is still happy because the combined sales of all ten sites are more than the original webmasters was alone, but all of the new sites were given a free ride on his hard work.

I just want to point out this is a huge oversimplification of how things work, but I wanted to explain to Andy why some affiliates don’t like their success to be published for others to see.

Malibber,

Point well taken, explained very well. I removed those sites and did not publish those types of websites, the keyword plays. We have many of those sites that send us traffic...and believe me those would never be published.

The main reason for the list was two fold. To demonstrate that BeFree is not all bad, and affiliates can and do make money with BeFree. And two, that TigerDirect does not deserve the bad rap it has been getting today. Maybe in the past, some other time, but not today. I have worked very hard at implementing changes and continue to grow this program - and yes, Dorothy, there is money to be made with TigerDirect !!

Again, thank you for that wonderful explanation.

"By someone simply visiting a site, "taking" their ideas, will not guarantee that that person will achieve similar results."

That depends very much on how the results were achieved.

"If you want to play in this game, you need dedication, customer service, commitment and GREAT PRICES."

Yeah I know... 'build a relationship with the customer' 'update them with great deals and products they might be interested in'.

Looks like it'll be Crucial getting $25000 per month then.

f

This was written before maillibers message which explains things better than I could. And I've explained this once already this week.

Its nice that Tiger Direct can take this on board, but I'm not convinced I can trust months of work to them yet.

It just seems a willingness to consider alternatives before reaching conclusions isn't there to the degree I require. How am I supposed to know what might seem like a good idea to them next week? Before this started I saw no sign of any recognition of the damage that might be done to an affiliate until it was explained, and now of course the keyword sites are removed from the list before it is published.

Hm. Think I'll stick with Crucial for a while, and anyhow the association with Befree does not fill me with trust.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

Andy,
    If you can join CJ, you will definitely gain more affiliates. I know I will definitely join if your in CJ. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Andy,

We have spent a good amount of money buying stuff from Tiger over the years.

We have two Tiger custom computers and so far they are working fine, even though they are a bit slow due to us never switching to faster chips.

I could and would send you a ton of traffic, (20,000 in a week) just to set the cookies and give you exposure, have people get on your list for a catalog and maybe buy stuff.

If you don't believe me ask Haiko.

But there is no way I am sending you anything and not get paid for it especially since you are on the BeFree scum works network.

I have your banner and a text blurb up on our Computer Shoppe page, just to have it up.
    But that's it.

In 2002 you and every other real operating business will have to pay for traffic.

CPA without a guarantee component is going to die. I know for a fact, having been a both a merchant and an affiliate since 1993.
    And marketing thru BBS's before that.

You cannot get enough traffic from PPC search engines to make a profit if you have to pay real brick and mortar overhead. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

And contrary to the PPC propaganda, you absolutely need a ton of affiliates to get enough traffic to make any real money online.

Affiliates will be dropping merchants in droves starting Wednesday. Most of your types were kept up just to try to score a sale or two for the holiday.

You want traffic - pay for it. Go to Clixgalore and sign up as merchant. Pay $.08 per click thru but track the clicks as leads.
    That means that your whole landing page must load before you have to pay.

What will happen is you will only have to pay for real traffic. It will cost you just $.10/click total. And there is no monthly nut to crack.

You pay per click, and I'll send you 25,000 people per month.

You want CPA, you pay a per click against total commission and you have a 90 day cookie.

The only other way you will see any traffic is to pay CPM but then the traffic is iffy, depending on the quality of your creative.

You took in slightly more than $700K in October from affiliate sales. That's chump change for a national catalog merchandiser.
    You paid out just $23k.

You should be selling $100k per day minimum.

Heck, Dell spent more to run one TV commercial than you paid out for the whole month of October.

You have a clue, you work for a fairly reputable outfit that has decent products at fair prices. You are the kind of place everyone would promote if you made it worthwhile.

By the end of the year 2002, Dell & IBM will own the PC business. The rest of you guys will be toast. Unless you nail down the affiliate niche first.

So get your act in gear, check out Clixgalore and build an affiliate program that works for everyone.

https://www.clixgalore.com/affsignup1.asp?AdvProgID=428

And I make a whole $5 if you become a merchant so I ain't doing it for the money.

Fred Conquest, CEO
    NetBiz Corporation

Join CJ - and I, like so many others, will join your program. There is no chance of me using Befree again..Yuck.

I notice there is a Tigerdirect banner at the top of this page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Andy has a good feel for this online sales game and more than any other affiliate program manager ..wants to help affiliates succeed. He works directly with the sales division on a quota and gets a overide bonus for your sales. They do convert, report sales and have delivered on promises like individual product links. More product text only links with prices would be appreciated. I made 186.00 with them in Dec from a low traffic site...so they appeal to buyers.

Hello all,

I want to take a minute and congratulate all of our affiliates that generated sales in December. You all know who you are, way to go !!!

I am only posting the top 25 affiliates, but we have over 5,000 active affiliates making money with TigerDirect. By request from certain affiliates, I have "edited" the website URL's to maintain the website's identity private.

This list shows a few things:

(1) - Yes, you can make allot of money with TigerDirect.com
    (2) - There is plenty of room at the top for many more affiliates to earn over $1,000 per month.

You can do it. All it takes is one computer sale per week (avg. $1,000.00 x 4% = $40.00 x 4 = $160.00). That's only 4 visitors buying one computer per week from your website. We carry over 50,000 products and sell close to 13 million per week from our site !! Do you want a piece of our pie? You can do it !!

We have already started the month of January breaking records again. December was Tiger's best month yet. January traditionally is fantastic for computer supplies and equipment sales. This is the month where people order what they really wanted and they didn't get. The ones that got computers, order all their accessories and "toys" to go with their new computer. Be sure to have those banners, text and product links on your front page and continue earning money with our great deals. You can do it !!

Have you signed up for our newsletter yet? Go to our home page and sign up now !! This is where great new deals are born !!

** FYI, I am processing Affiliate commissions for December and they will be sent to BeFree this week.

***** TOP 25 Affiliates for December *****

Affiliate Name Net Shipped Sales Affiliate Base Earnings

24****.com 109920.96 5496.04
    Loo*** 97372.93 3894.91
    Eb***.com 45523.86 1820.95
    AA**l 23363.82 1168.19
    The Dai*** 19116.72 955.83
    247*** 15977.63 798.88
    dea***.com 15783.21 789.16
    tech***.com 14169.51 566.78
    Net*** 12591.54 629.57
    Inte*** 9150.92 457.54
    Dail***.com 7070.86 282.83
    Sav*** 4849.77 242.48
    Bli***com 4608.07 230.40
    Got*** 3735.85 186.79
    BIGl*** 3389.89 169.49
    Ecom*** 3629.51 145.18
    Happ*** 3482.57 174.12
    CSP*** 2735.51 136.77
    NC-M***.COM 2653.68 132.68
    Brai*** 2598.98 129.94
    Dea***.com 2450.06 122.50
    Mille*** 2349.92 117.49
    Sch*** 2130.77 85.23
    Dea***.com 2019.84 100.92
    squ*** 2018.62 100.93

Have a Great Day !!!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising /Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    7795 W. Flagler St, Ste 35
    Miami, Fl 33144
    P: (305) 415-2313
    F: (305) 415-2149
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Andy has a good feel for this online sales game and more than any other affiliate program manager ..wants to help affiliates succeed. He works directly with the sales division on a quota and gets a overide bonus for your sales. They do convert, report sales and have delivered on promises like individual product links. More product text only links with prices would be appreciated. I made 186.00 with them in Dec from a low traffic site...so they appeal to buyers.

Sorry, we won't be doing any affiliate changes during Q1. If you want to wait and not enjoy our piece of the pie, that is fine. I'm sure other affiliates that are making money won't mind. I do invite you to join though, even though we don't ship to Manilla. :-)

quote:
    Originally posted by wly:
    Andy,
    If you can join CJ, you will definitely gain more affiliates. I know I will definitely join if your in CJ. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast