10 Tips for Choosing the Right Domain Name
    Choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a company name it requires a lot of thought and consideration. Your domain name is your identity on the Web; you want to make sure you choose a name that not only fits your business, but is also easy to find and promote. Follow these steps to help you pick the perfect domain.

1. Make it Easy to Type

Finding a domain name that's easy to type is critical to online success. If you use slang (u instead of you) or words with multiple spellings (express vs. xpress), it may be harder for customers to find your site.

2. Keep it Short

If your domain name is long and complex, you risk customers mistyping or misspelling it. Short and simple is the way to go.

3. Use Keywords

Try using keywords that describe your business and the services you offer. For example; if you’re a glass replacement business, you may want to register GlassRepair.com or GlassReplacement.com. Include the keywords that people enter when searching for your products or services. It helps improve your rank on search engines (which increases traffic) and just makes more sense to your customers.

4. Target Your Area

If your business is local, consider including your city or state in your domain name to make it easy for local customers to find and remember. Example: PhoenixGlassRepair.com.

5. Avoid Numbers and Hyphens

Numbers and hyphens are often misunderstood — people who hear your website address don't know if you're using a numeral (5) or it's spelled out (five) or they misplace or forget the dash. If you need these in your domain, register the different variations to be safe.

6. Be Memorable

There are millions of registered domain names, so having a domain that's catchy and memorable is essential. Once you've come up with a name, share it with close friends to make sure it sounds appealing and makes sense to others.

Quick Solution: Got a great idea for a domain? Register your name today and put a website out there before someone else beats you to it.
    7. Research It

Make sure the name you've selected isn't trademarked, copyrighted or being used by another company. It could result in a huge legal mess that could cost you a fortune, as well as your domain!

8. Use an Appropriate Domain Name Extension

Extensions are suffixes, such as .COM or .NET, at the end of Web addresses. These can have specific uses, so make sure to choose one that works for your business. .COM is far and away the most popular, but here are some other top extensions and how they're often used:

.co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community
    .info : informational sites
    .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites
    .org : non-commercial organizations and non-profits
    .biz : business or commercial use, like ecommerce sites
    .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites
    Tip: You don't need to build a website for every domain. Just forward any additional domains to your primary website.
    9. Protect and Build Your Brand

To protect your brand, you should purchase various domain extensions, as well as misspelled versions of your domain name. This prevents competitors from registering other versions and ensures your customers are directed to your website, even if they mistype it.

10. Act Fast

Domain names sell quickly. Thankfully, they're also inexpensive, so register your favorite domain names as soon as possible. If you’re having trouble finding an available name, domain registrars like GoDaddy will suggest alternate names during your domain search to help you find the perfect name.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing the information, Amin. Please make sure to identify where you sourced this from, as it isn't original content.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

sorry for that - it was from godaddy.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I know we had a domain name that included hyphens and keywords, and we got killed by the Panda update. Everything chosen since then has been brandable. Don't want to go through that again!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by mycoding View Post
    sorry for that - it was from godaddy.
    Did you get permission from GoDaddy.com to reproduce their content or did you simply plagiarize it?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think even if you have domain with the right keyword. and then you break google rules you will be punish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Did you get permission from GoDaddy.com to reproduce their content or did you simply plagiarize it?
    hmmm I mentioned above it is from godaddy blog. later on will add source.

Quote Originally Posted by mycoding View Post
    hmmm I mentioned above it is from godaddy blog. later on will add source.
    Mentioning a source well after the fact is no excuse for blatant plagiarism. This thread needs to be deleted.

@mycoding - You should research the proper way to cite/reference the work of another person. Sorry.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Thanks From:

Can you buy a bunch of domain name and just redirect it back to your main site?
    Let's say you want to sell socks and you buy a domain like edthesock.com can you not buy other domain like socksinasia.com or sockgame.hk and automatically have those keywords taken care of?

1 tip for choosing the right domain name: Get a .COM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for sharing these tips with us.
    I really like point #1 and #2.
    We should always select the domain which is easy to type and will also be short so that people can remember it easily.

What would you make of the new Gtld's that are being sold for some really good prices? Domain flipping is something I always wanted to give a go and the points you have mentioned should come in handy. What's your take in regards to buying domains from registrars like Godaddy? Last time I heard they are very keen to snatch the premium domains you are looking to buy.

Pointer #3,5,6 are just amazing, These tips will def help anybody even a newbie to select a right host with in a budget. Great initiative, thanks for sharing!

Miss one point. Always buy domain for Long period ( 5,10 years ).
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; November 8th, 2015 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    1 tip for choosing the right domain name: Get a .COM.
    I have to disagree with you. As a matter of fact other TLD's like .net and .org have same reputation, it's just that you should be good at finding domains. Expired domains work very well because they already have those backlinks ready but you need to select such domains which haven't been spammed too much. Also try to avoid domains with hyphens. Make sure it is easy to pronounce and something that is easy to remember.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]bodHOST.com[/COLOR][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.bodhost.com/cloud-hosting.php"]Enterprise Cloud Hosting[/URL] [COLOR="#0000CD"]Solutions with Auto-Scaling Flavors[/COLOR][/B] |
    [B][URL="http://www.bodhost.com/commission-structure.php"]Earn upto $300 with our Affiliate Program[/URL][/B]

I thought no 5 ( - hyphen in domain ) is okay and also friendly for seo on this domain

Very useful tips, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by arpitasen991 View Post
    I thought no 5 ( - hyphen in domain ) is okay and also friendly for seo on this domain
    Hyphens used to be ok a few years back, but people were overdoing the keywords in a domain name thing and Google got wise and updated their algorithm in an update. Not that they are bad in some cases, but the SEO bump is no longer there.

I just use Eons Of Domains (just google it). I've been getting some great niche domain name ideas from there for months now.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread