ABW Ambassador
    We are working on a new site, and I wanted a little feedback. Aside from using product links, do text links or graphics work better. The website will be a local business directory, featuring something like a yellow pages. Under each category, I would like to put a section of 'Additional Merchants' (will appear below the local businesses). Do you guys think text links or banners would work better with this. I see some pages that seem (or claim) to do well that have a stack of banners. It's difficult to tell from the EPC's because you don't know where the banners are being shown on everyones page. Any thoughts?????

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    On my pages the text links get significantly more clicks than the banners, although there's more of them so I'm not sure that says anything definitive.

Something to consider is that text loads faster than images. Further down the page the difference might not matter so much because if your page is set up well your visitors can start reading at the top while stuff "below the fold" is still loading.

My 2ยข worth ...

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    Elizabeth,
    Thanks for the response. I was thinking about going with the text links...The banners/graphics would be easier to maintain, but with text, I could put a little spin on things. I've even thought about adding CJ merchants in with the local merchants, but I'm sure the locals would get pretty ticked about that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

yep, text links seem to do much better... but a good banner can still kick a text links arse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have to agree that text links get a much better CTR. On a page of mine with one 125x125 banner and a text link, the text link generally gets about 3 times the click throughs. Also, it gives pages a much more professional look as opposed to that of a link farms with mainly banners, IMO.

Good Luck with the new site!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the feedback guys...I've always thought that text links would do better, particularly on something like this...Like I said, I've come across sites that used stacked banners, and these webmasters 'claim' to do well. We'll run with the text links and see what happens...For what it's worth, the local business community has shown a lot of support and I already have advertisers lined up...I may not even have to do affiliate advertising with this one. Our rates are fairly inexpensive and that I why most of them are probably jumping on board before the site even launches.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The professionals running local business directories for fees show the majority of hits come from links where the LOGO or storefront image are shown alongside of the PR text. These get 300% more clicks than just plain text listings...Crains Directory Services.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,
    Thanks for the info...I'll see what I can do. For right now, we are working on a yellow-pages type directory that is free to local businesses...For a small fee, merchants can upgrade their listing to feature a description of their business, link to their website, and their listing will be bumped to the top. Another package is where a merchant can get a complete webpage in our directory, logo, hours, coupons, specials, or whatever the merchant chooses to put on that page....

Tom Pyles

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread