ABW Ambassador
    Hi all,

I am so ticked. Yesterday I go to check the stats at Friend Finder and instead of finding the $88-90 I expected, I see that the stats have fallen and are now only $48.00.

The notice on the bottom of the screen says "As your traffic quality has sliped to more than 20 uniques per free signup when you have sent at least 500 uniques or three days, we have converted your account to a percent partner account". I'm pretty shocked by that because the stats show that we've converted 1 out of every THREE uniques sent - nowhere near the 1 in 20.

When I asked about it, I got a comment back that said "Yes, but you also must meet our ratio of 1 paying membership in 25 free
    signups". Now, I have no idea how many paying memberships there have been, but I do know a couple of things -

1. We have only sent them 245 unique IPs,

2. The notice at the bottom of the screen didn't match what they claimed the problem was, and

3. We were within $12 of getting a payout. Based on the amount of signups yesterday and today we would have qualified for the payout sometime within the next couple of days.

I have another e-mail into them, which basically says that I think it's really strange that this "happened" to occur so near the payout and to ask them to reconsider.

This stinks. :mad:

Singing the blues,
    Kip

Sounds fishy indeed!

Try oneandonly.com or match.com if you don't already (and not match.com through CJ but through their own affiliate site)

They pay every month regardless of what you made -- there's no minimum. They both convert VERY well for me, and my traffic is well known for not spending a dime. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Parentworld. As soon as I get home today, I'm putting those links up.

Kip

Hi, Kip!

The same thing happened when we started promoting FriendFinder.com - Our conversion ratio was always 1:3 or 1:4. Then when it was a couple days before payout time, they dropped us to percent partner. They took an additional two months to send a check. We had to call. The next month they sent checks for the wrong amounts, cancelled all affiliate checks, and sent out new ones. We have not been impressed by their system.

However, we are very happy with DreamMates.com - They pay $1.00 per free member. The stats are easy to check. We have received our check each month.

Lavalife.com has been pretty reliable also, but it hasn't converted as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Paula. We have been promoting Dreammates too and they have converted very well. I'm glad to know that they pay. I spotlighted Friend Finder because we were pretty close to the payout amount so I thought a couple of days would put us over. Man, what a rip. They haven't replied to my e-mail yet. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

I just added back One and Only (per Parentsworld great suggestion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) and also put up a link from Data Tech. Data Tech pays per sale not sign up, but it looks like if you do sell they have a pretty good payout. Do you use them? If not, I'll let you know how we do with them. We've had Neo Dates from CJ up for a bit and have done so-so. DreamMates has been the best performer so far.

Thanks again for letting me know that they actually pay. What a relief!

All the best,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

DreamMates definitely pays. A few months ago they did some changes to the sign-up process and their conversions are down because of that - but it's still a good program.

As for FriendFinder - I went for their per sale deal from the start (because I had heard about those retroactive changes for affiliates who did the per lead thing) and it worked out pretty well.

Looking at my stats I see that I've actually made more than $1 averagely per free sign-up.

They have sent me checks - but not always on time. (The checks were seriously delayed a few months back, but I did receive them eventually [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Two aspects about them I'm not that big a fan of, though:

1> Their site is leaking quite a bit (unpaid links)
    2> They don't seem to re-bill very well. (They're supposed to pay 50% on recurring fees, but I have not seen a rebill happening ONCE yet, and I know a few other FriendFinder affiliates who has never seen this either... I've discussed this with several "a few hundred a month" affiliates of theirs, and none of them has ever seen a rebill...)

Interestingly, when all comes down to it - I still make more per click with FriendFinder than with DreamMates - and this is with untargeted traffic (entertainment).

Another one I've been testing lately is Megafriends. They convert better than both of the above to free sign-ups, but their conversions to sales doesn't seem to be better - even though their service seems more "fairly" priced. They seem to do well in the "recurring billing" department, though. (I've not been with them very long and havne't sent them much traffic yet, so I don't know this for sure). The owner offered great support, though - and was willing to give me all the stats on average conversions/rebilling rates/etc - and they looked good.

My conclusion from all this, is that it might actually be beneficial running Megafriends in the long term (6 months +) over FriendFinder and DreamMates - but short term FriendFinder's per sale deal performed best for me.

Friendfinder are known for the retroactive changes for anyone in their free per lead program, though (I've received several reports of this to my AffiliateVenture email address) so definitely stay out of that option. I feel "safer" sending traffic to DreamMates than Friendfinder also because of DreamMates' excellent support vs. FriendFinder's 14-day response time (last time I needed it)

Sorry about the messy post. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Knut ]

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Knut,

Thanks for passing on the information about MegaFriends. I'll check them out. If they are two tier, shoot me a PM with your link and I'll sign up through you.

I'm glad FriendFinder is working for you, but any company that has a habit of stiffing their affiliates is just not going to get my time and energy. Basically, I don't trust them at all and think they are pretty underhanded in their dealings with people. In fact, I think they are the lowest form of scum (but that's just my opinion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

As long as we're discussing personals sites another one we didn't have good luck with is Dating Cash. They weren't scum, at least that I know of, but they didn't convert well for us at all and they had some strange stats thing going on.

Thanks again for the info. Best of luck with Friend Finder.

All the best,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Kip for the two-tier offer, I just sent you a PM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I agree with you on the FriendFinder issue. I certainly understand why anyone who has been retroactively turned over the way they systematically do over there would lose all their trust in them.

I don't actively promote them now for the reasons above - although I was still somehow able to make enough for a check in January from an old low-traffic link that I haven't gotten around to switch around - or maybe it was from an old newsletter ad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

FriendFinder along with a few others are on my list of merchants I'm "wary" about because of other people's experiences with them - but that I've still proceeded promoting on a small scale because they're performing for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[EDIT]

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention about MegaFriends that is pretty cool is that they send checks every 14 days!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Knut ]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread