Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Popshops Search Issue
    Just a heads up. Popshops is having search issue since yesterday(could be earlier). I found out yesterday that all my dynamic shops are return blank pages. And if you have a search box on your shops, they are not returning anything either.

I have contacted popshops support several times, their responses are they are aware of the issue and working on it but they are not able to give a firm timeline for when a fix will be in place. It is very frustrating...

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Still no solution. Evidently the issue has been going on for 5 days already!!!

I'm loosing patience. Whoever did whatever changes need to put the old codes back.

Why people keep making changes when things are not broken???

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Still no solution. Evidently the issue has been going on for 5 days already!!!

I'm loosing patience. Whoever did whatever changes need to put the old codes back.

Why people keep making changes when things are not broken???
    I think they are altering the search function to eliminate dynamic pages using search in urls.. else they would have
    fixed by now.. we shall see.. but I am looking at alternative merchant feed sites.

amos

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by amos View Post
    I think they are altering the search function to eliminate dynamic pages using search in urls.. else they would have
    fixed by now.. we shall see.. but I am looking at alternative merchant feed sites.

amos
    I didn't know they are altering the search function to eliminate dynamic pages. Are you sure? If that's the case, then it is not worth it to use their service anymore.

I just sent their support another email, will see what they say.

I didn't know they are altering the search function to eliminate dynamic pages. Are you sure? If that's the case, then it is not worth it to use their service anymore...
    That's for sure. I've been working at eliminating PopShops. Is is difficult because I have their product on many, many sites. But, slowly and surely, I will move to another service and/or do more database coding myself.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    But, slowly and surely, I will move to another service and/or do more database coding myself.
    Bill, do you have any other services in mind that similar to popshops which you will move to? I know Sellfire used to be an option but seems like they are fading away.

ABW Ambassador
    I've been working at eliminating PopShops. Is is difficult because I have their product on many, many sites. But, slowly and surely, I will move to another service and/or do more database coding myself.
    I've been trying to do the same but it is a slow process as I too have so many websites using PS. IF they are eliminating dynamic pages and the onsite search function then I will be dropping their service sooner than expected. Right now, they have killed many of my pages on one of my best websites. I will be forced to address that with building a datafeed website. No need for them at that point.

mayfly thanks for posting this as I wasn't even aware this had happened.

Sadly, PopShops isn't what it use to be.
    Last edited by msladybug; July 3rd, 2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

10. Thanks From:

Bill, do you have any other services in mind that similar to popshops which you will move to? I know Sellfire used to be an option but seems like they are fading away.
    PopShops and GoldenCAN are the only two I use. SellFire is not reliable and is not supported so I "fired" them a long time ago. I do have conversions with GoldenCAN but they don't have the number of merchants that PoShops has.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Just a reminder to PopShops that part of the service account plans we purchased is to have the ability to have "Product search in storefronts". This needs to be restored quickly as PS is not holding up their end of the bargain. This function being down for 5 days is not acceptable.

Dynamic search

Add a search box to your storefront and give your customers access to millions of products. Data Pack or Enterprise plans

14. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    GoldenCan doesn't have the merchant count because they charge merchants for their affiliates to be able to use them for free.. If they went to a model where affiliates paid a monthly rate, tons of merchants would be there. I love them for their ease of use and the fact they they are dynamically updating as the feed changes. PopShops was always a pain for us because affiliates were picking the products and they were more or less static at that point, so if products went out of stock there were a ton of dead page links. I guess they have updated this in the last year or so, so it's more dynamic with updating pages as the feed changes.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    PopShops and GoldenCAN are the only two I use.
    Same here. But I never really done much with Goldencan. For one thing they have far less merchants than popshops, plus, I don't like their 4th click model. If GoldenCan can develop a system like popshops, I'd rather pay them a monthly fee and move my shops to them in no time.

18. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
    Just a reminder to PopShops that part of the service account plans we purchased is to have the ability to have "Product search in storefronts". This needs to be restored quickly as PS is not holding up their end of the bargain. This function being down for 5 days is not acceptable.
    I'll make sure to let them know that as well...

Of course after several "sorry for the inconvenience" "we are working on the issue" email response, they are totally ignoring the email I sent this morning asking them to restore the old codes/configuration back.

Here goes my holiday sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    GoldenCan doesn't have the merchant count because they charge merchants for their affiliates to be able to use them for free.. If they went to a model where affiliates paid a monthly rate, tons of merchants would be there.
    But they have to develop something similar to popshops for charging a monthly fee from affiliates. For what they are having right now, I don't think it is good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    PopShops was always a pain for us because affiliates were picking the products and they were more or less static at that point, so if products went out of stock there were a ton of dead page links. I guess they have updated this in the last year or so, so it's more dynamic with updating pages as the feed changes.
    Popshops shops can be up to date as long as the merchant feeds updates. They pull the fresh feed daily from networks(as least that's what they told me). And if affiliates use JS or PHP codes for their shops, there won't be out of stock static pages. If they use html codes, then the shop won't be updated automatically. It's been always like that.

21. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Well, nothing more I can do at this point. I will go enjoy my holiday weekend and try to forget about this crap.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It's amazing that these services cannot be run correctly.

PS was great when it started out, and of course these problems have arisen after Rakuten bought them out. Sellfire was great at the beginning them their customer service and responsiveness totally disappeared (NEVER got a response when their WP plugin crashed several of my sites).

GoldenCan seems to be the best run and most responsive now, but it doesn't work for me on most sites because I need to be able to chose specific products, not all or nothing in a datafeed category, and I had to drop it from one site built for it when the one merchant I used there stopped including categories broken down by brand in their feed.

It seems the field is ripe for a new entrant, or maybe someone who cares about the business will buy out Sellfire.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    It seems the field is ripe for a new entrant, or maybe someone who cares about the business will buy out Sellfire.
    Totally agree!

With affiliate industry thriving over the decade, you would think there will be more datafeed services options out there. Popshops' model really isn't rocket science. Sellfire was very close to take over the lead until they completely abandon their support. GoldenCan has good support, but they need to redesign their model to be able to chose specific products like Phil said, not just display the entire merchant's feed on our sites.

I'm waiting for a new rising star!

The popshops people who are responding to this problem are not the same as those who took the search function down. That was done by
    the "Rakuten " team who are as I write working diligently to solve the problem - 9 days and counting!

Would be interesting to know if the Data Pack users are effected by this "glitch" in the search function. My guess is that
    it is only the Enterprise Plan because that is the only plan that is a straight fee of $360 per year with unlimited clicks on their database. The other plans (please correct me if I am wrong) clicks are limited to certain amount and then an extra fee is paid per click. No doubt the "Rakuten" team saw this hole in the system soon after they purchased PS and now are in the process of a fix.

Food for throught: keep in mind that you now have Rakuten selling products from their competitors without getting a percentage of the sale. Why would Rakuten want to sell CJ, SA and other affiliate network products that are also available from their merchants on their network? Doesn't make sense to me.

Buy.com/Rakuten site is working quite well.

Recent inquires by Rakuten as to how we were selling some very high ticket items told me allot about where they are going and how they think. Taking down hundreds of thousands of dynamic pages from their competitors just doesn't happen by accident. And yes you are their competitor if you sell products from other networks.

According to Forbes, Rakuten is a $24.7 billion company with sales of $5.66B annually. Popshops has 25,000 publishers (that have signed-up)
    at say $300 to $400 per year, $7.5 to $10 Million per year: peanuts when you consider they could eliminate marketing channels for many of their competitors.

Time will tell, it's business!

AIMHO
    Amos

26. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Some very good analysis, Amos.

$7.5 to $10 Million per year is a very good business. Maybe Asif at GoldenCan or anyone who has the resource and knowledge of datafeed should take it seriously and take those 25,000 publishers from popshops to their account.

Tax Paying Member
    I would be very interested in a PopShops, SellFire replacement. I have tried GC and DatataFeedR with out satisfaction
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by amos View Post
    Popshops has 25,000 publishers (that have signed-up)
    at say $300 to $400 per year, $7.5 to $10 Million per year
    Rakuten's Japanese baseball team made several times that in an instant a couple of years ago by selling the rights to Masahiro Tanaka to the NY Yankees.

We should have all seen it coming when they bought PS - like with the beginnings of the nexus tax, we need to prepare for the day when PS will no longer be available to us as it is today, that is, as a multi-network platform.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Their support are totally ignoring my email inquires. That's absolutely unacceptable.

I'm asking for refund, that's the least they can do to somehow compensate a small part of my business loss over this BS.

It's sad that Popshops' original creators sold their great product to the wrong people.

31. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    It's been two weeks, the Rakuten people still couldn't get their sh!t together!

No response from support. Their blog is down. Their last posts on facebook and twitter was on May 20.

33. Thanks From:

Sounds like what happened with Sellfire, but this is a billion dollar international empire, not a small family business. Amazing they have such little regard fro their customers.

ABW Ambassador
    It surprised me that there are very few people noticed this issue so far, even here at ABW.

I did a few search online and see if there are any other places where people are discussing this issue, I only found one person comment on 7/8 on one of the old popshops blog post that he was closing his popshops account. He made very good point about bad customer support experience. (see the comment here: http://blog.marketing.rakuten.com/20...kuten-popshops).

I guess 99.99% of the affiliates who use popshops don't even notice this search issue. Because the static shop itself looks fine, but the customer couldn't do any search within the shop. And I bet most affiliates don't even check their shops to see if they are actually work. Dynamic shops are completely useless without the search function at this point.

I know that I use static, highly focused shops that feature a relatively small number of available, specific products (five to 20 for the most part) probably 90% of the time. I would not have known this problem existed had I not seen it here.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 9th, 2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo

37. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast