Well, I knew they wouldn't last with their hidden pop up ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) ... that is why I canned them a long time ago!

quote:
    Dear Haiko de Poel, Jr.,

In an effort to remain a viable business and one of the premiere networks in the online advertising industry, we at the focusIN specialty Web Network are continuously evaluating all aspects of our business operations. Consequently, we have decided to eliminate our publisher Referral Program
    due to its prolonged ineffectiveness at achieving its intended business objectives.

Effective February 1, 2002 the focusIN Referral Program will cease to exist.
    What does this mean for you?

[ I got this today, the 4th :eek: ]

(1) You will no longer earn revenue from the referral program

(2) The accumulated revenue your account generated from the referral program has been added to your carryover balance for January, before all month-end statistics were cleared. For your account, the amount of referral revenue you earned in January was $XXXX.XX. You will receive payment for this
    referral income amount within your March 10, 2002 payment if your January balance exceeded $50. If not, your referral revenue will remain in your carryover balance until your total account balance exceeds the $50 minimum payment level.

(3) You should remove the focusIN referral code from your website immediately. Any referral code not removed after February 28, 2002 will return a blank image instead of the "Click here to join focusIN" image.

If you have any questions please email us at info@focusin.com.

We thank you for your co-operation and your membership in focusIN. Best of luck with your other website endeavours.

Sincerely,

Publisher Services
    The focusIN Specialty Web Network
    ZAQ Interactive Solutions Inc.

Haiko

I agree that the shelving of their referral program is a disappointing development, but with more inventory under management than they can serve with decent campaigns, there's little sense in maintaining a program that pays others for bringing yet more unsold inventory their way.

Thus far, ZAQ seems to be doing comparitively well in its management of FocusIN. As you may remember, this program was teetering on the brink of insolvency for many months, and had fallen far behind in its payment schedule. Under ZAQ's management, however, payments have been brought up to date, sales have increased somewhat, and popups have been seperated from banners in terms of both selection and reporting.

FocusIN is still lagging behind the market leaders, but this and the other recent developments affecting the program provide evidence that ZAQ have their eyes set on building a viable and sustainable business from the network.

Czar,

Welcome to ABestWeb, great to see you here!

Haiko

Many thanks, Haiko.

I don't know how it took me so long to discover this fabbo resource :cool:, but I'll be sure to check in regularly from now on.

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome Czar...
    This had been in the works for some time. I had exchanged mail with somebody there (his name escapes me right now) about 6 months ago about their referral program. At that time, he told me that they would be getting rid of it at sometime, but didn't know when...

Tom Pyles

Hi Czar,

You are a somewhat of a legend over at Geek/talk [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] and it's nice to see you hear.

Czar,

quote:
    I don't know how it took me so long to discover this fabbo resource :cool:, but I'll be sure to check in regularly from now on.

Fantastic! I really glad you like ABW!

Haiko

quote:
    Originally posted by TH Media:
    This had been in the works for some time. I had exchanged mail with somebody there (his name escapes me right now) about 6 months ago about their referral program. At that time, he told me that they would be getting rid of it at sometime, but didn't know when...

OIC; and of course this also follows smilar moves by other networks serving the indie publishing market. For example, you may recall that Advertising.com, BannerSpace, ValueClick and a few other mid-tier players used to boast effective referral programs, but shelved these in late 2000/early 2001.

The fact that the respective dumping of such programs failed to reduce publisher interest in the services offered by these firms, suggests that focusIN likely came to the conclusion that the abolition of their own referral element would have a far greater positive effect on their bottom-line than the potential downside of losing a few publishers. (apologies for that unwieldy sentence)

Very sad for those of us who used the referral program, of course (particularly given that some publishers would have ammassed 100s of sites in their downline), but that's business.

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome. You're making this newcomer blush. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread