Need your advice...
    Hi Guys,

i'm working for a company and we're taking our very first steps in starting our own affiliate program.
    We know about online advertising but never did affiliate before- right now working with just a few partners in this way.

I wanted to get your input on what do you think are 3 important things for us to notice when starting the program?
    (for example- payment terms we must have/ what mistakes to avoid/ what would you wish to have that other don't do etc...)

Thanks for your help! (:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    There are tons of threads on ABW which talk about how to construct an affiliate program. Spend some times using the search function to read some of those. It will answer your question, which has been asked many many times before. Once you've done that, if you still have questions it will be much easier for us to help you.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks, I'll try looking for it, although until now I haven't seen it here.

I'll appreciate any help anyway from your personal experience!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I've found many gems of wisdom in the comments of a lot of threads - affiliates discussion how a program has been constructed both good and bad, merchants who've shared successes or issues due to a variety of reasons such as the types of affiliates they've chosen to work with, what promotional strategies are permitted or not, etc.

My favorite is choose your network very carefully - after working for two different affiliate networks and almost 20 years in this industry, I will tell you that all networks are not created equally. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. Those factors have been discussed on here as well, so make sure to study those threads too.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Granted, it is difficult to find those threads unless you've been here a while. The search function here is not quite up to what one might expect for an Internet resource site.

One of the best resources for answers to your inquiry is the Affiliate Marketing Blog by (ABW member) Geno Prussakov. Geno has also authored a couple of excellent books on the topic (available at Amazon at reasonable prices).

• Geno's Blog: http://www.amnavigator.com/blog/
    • His first book (I read several years ago, but still relevant): Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing: Quick Reference for Affiliate Managers & Merchants
    • His latest book on Affiliate Marketing (an excellent resource, as reviewed by my daughter in a trade magazine): Affiliate Program Management: An Hour a Day

I have a short post about this topic on my own blog (from a couple years ago): http://www.12pm.com/good-reads-for-p...-managers.html

I hope this helps a bit; it should get you started. The book titles can be easily searched at Amazon.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    One thing to keep in mind as you research the field is that you cannot just rely on what other affiliate managers and OPMS have to say - you also MUST listen to affiliates, about what we need and about what we expect to see in an affiliate program.

Also, another good place to start is to look at your competitors' programs - what types of terms to they have, what is their range of commission rates, etc.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

When you sign up for an affiliate program, an affiliate link with a unique affiliate ID will be assigned to you. The affiliate link is used for marketing the products of your merchant. When a visitor buys an item through your affiliate link, you earn affiliate commission. Starting an affiliate marketing business is a great way to make extra cash!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    adlerdale, you completely missed the point of the question... or this was sarcasm

... I'm not sure.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Not sarcasm, Wade. That phrase is copy-n-pasted (plagiarized) right out of WikiHow, or one of about 300 other instances of that exact phrase. It goes back a couple of years.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    good times.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread