Hypothetical question here.

Say you made a site in which part of the products were drop shipped, and you also offered something via an affiliate program (something you get paid 20% or more per sale). Links from the drop shipped stuff would go to a final info page that would not have any "leaks".

Now, what if you wanted to set up an affiliate program to such a site? Is there any technical solution yet for tracking either sales or click throughs from the theoretical affiliates to the purchase site with which the theoretical site is affiliated?

Pro leaks says: It's missed sales on all the traffic driven to the site.

Con leaks says: It's a lousy affiliate program, then, and it's not fair to affiliates.

Pro leaks says: Make it possible for affiliates to deep link past the leaks directly to the final sales page. Their choice. Warn them that sales from the affiliate product would not make commissions.

Con leaks says: It's a lousy affiliate program, then, and it's not fair to affiliates.
    Make two different sites, one with only the drop shipped items and one with both. The site with the drop shipped only would have the affiliate program.

Pro leaks says: It's missed sales on all the traffic driven to the site.

Con leaks says: No, it's two different web sites getting two different sets of targetted traffic to convert.

Compromise: ASK FOR IDEAS ON ABESTWEB!

TIA.

ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate I generally dislike "leaky" merchants, but I'd still consider such a merchant if

1) you were absolutely open and upfront about the potential leaks (full disclosure, no surprises)

2) commissions were high enough on your own products so that even with some leakage it still would be worthwhile to send traffic.

3) you provided a good assortment of leak-proof landing pages for affiliates to link to, and a leak-proof order path. Something like an exit popup might work here - one that presents the other product line only after it's clear that the visitor is not going to buy whatever it is that the affiliate would get commission for, or perhaps after an order is completed.

4) you showed utmost good faith -- and competence!!! -- in tracking sales of your own products - tracking phone orders, other tracking methods besides cookies, etc. really long cookies, and - something that I'm starting to really like - repeat commissions on repeat orders from "my " customer.

The bottom line is that what ends up in my pocket for promoting you has to be competitive with what I'd get for promoting someone else. If you pass that test I'd forgive a few leaks!

My 2ยข worth ...

Elisabeth Archambault

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

My answer would be :

1. Create the site, however, you wish to.
    2. Put a note on the Affiliate Page 'seeking' comments & feedback
    3. Become your OWN affiliate & try to sell ; )
    4. Finally in all see what the Network Cnversion Ratio (%) is.
    5. If it's in the Top 5% of your CJ Merchants or others then don't bother much with any specific affiliates rants. You're good enough & you can feel comfortable earning through leaks.

Best wishes on the prog. if you're starting it !

Great posts, thanks.
    @Elisabeth, you pretty much brought up all of the arguments that were given by the Pro-leak voice (not me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). Indeed the idea would be to give a larger %sale on the drop shipped item than most other places, the leak would only be on the most general category landing page (link to the drop shipped item would go to a page with no leaks, and no leaks on the order page). I like the repeat customer idea.

@ceo, it's sort of further down the line. It's part of the diversification schema. Truth is, I'd be happy building affiliate sites on the one model that's working for now for another year or so, but diversification is a good thing. I have a business partner who can deal with the diversification ideas while I do what's already working and hang out in here getting great feedback from my friends [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

And I really appreciate the idea of becoming our own affiliate to see if I can market it and profit. That is a very, very helpful idea. Seeing as I'm still fine tuning my antlers for divining the good merchant-bad merchant difference, that could really be a good way of testing it.

I absolutely would not want to be involved with an affiliate program that I wouldn't want to join myself!

I also hope that perhaps if there is enough converting traffic, I could approach the merchant with whom we are affiliates and talk about drop shipping. It would be better to compensate affiliates on all sales, no leaks.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A lot of good ideas have already been said so I don't have much to write this time! I especially like ceo's idea of trying to sell your own stuff as if you were an affiliate!

"Make it possible for affiliates to deep link past the leaks directly to the final sales page. Their choice. Warn them that sales from the affiliate product would not make commissions."

That's a good idea. I know that if I couldn't bypass the leaks, I'd probably bypass the program--at least if there was competition in the category with an affiliate program!

Which brings to mind: How much competition is in the category, that also has an affiliate program? If there's a lot of aff. programs for the same type of item, you would have to make your program at least as good as theirs, to get any decent affiliates. Which would probably mean no leaks!

But if you'd have the ONLY aff program in the category, you can do more things that are, frankly, less than desireable! But if you do, be prepared to have a massive dropoff in affiliates if a better program comes along!

As you can see, personally I think all leaks suck!!!

1) They show a lack of confidence by a merchant in the merchant's own product! That's not the image customers like to see!!

2) They're a way for commissions to disappear! :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    They show a lack of confidence by a merchant in the merchant's own product!
    In some cases that might be true, but I don't agree if it's a case where the "other" product is a good complement for the merchant's own items, rather than competition. Cross-promotion on the part of the merchant might be okay as long as it was handled in a way that was not likely to undermine sales of the product we send visitors there to look at.

As always, the bottom line here would be MY bottom line!

One thing I thought about after my earlier post is that the merchant could use the "other" stuff as followup to be promoted to their mailing lists, more than on their actual site.

Elisabeth Archambault

Hah, well, see I hate all leaks, too. The voice above Con leaks is me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I mean, you all know who my mentor is :cool: .

It's still down the road a bit, so hopefully I'll be able to solve it no leaks and still offer the merchandise. However, I do appreciate the other points and have noted them down.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread