Is Everyone on Vacation??? - Gut Wrenching Downturn in AOS
    I'm curious how the average order size has been going for everyone since around July 1st? I'm seeing a horrendous downturn versus last year, across the board from all traffic sources and all merchants.

In my opinion, a large portion of the people with buying power are vacationing on "big spend" vacations that, when finished, dampens their desire for big ticket purchases. What's wrong with these people? Don't they know that buying stuff is the American way? Greece and China's financial problems certainly don't help, but I'm thinking big vacations is the main culprit. What do you all think?

I think this might be the healthiest economy I've ever run my business in because I started full time in 2008 when the housing bubble burst and the great recession started. Do some of you remember what summers were like pre-housing bubble? Were sales really slow due to vacationing?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Well, I took a look at the Amazon Seller Forum, the eBay Seller Forum, and the Adsense Earnings forum on WMW, trying to identify sellers/webmasters with some volume. There seemed to be a consistent complaint that this July has had a significant downturn when compared to years past.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I got into affiliate marketing 6 years before you, but during all of that time it was just a hobby and for a while after that.
    I'm thinking it google having problems keeping up with all the changing data and trying to keep their servers all refreshed to show the serps.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    I got into affiliate marketing 6 years before you, but during all of that time it was just a hobby and for a while after that.
    I'm thinking it google having problems keeping up with all the changing data and trying to keep their servers all refreshed to show the serps.
    I started in 2004-2005, but like you, it was just a hobby. If I had the knowledge I have now in 2004, wow....... My revenue doubled every year from 2005 - 2009, but when you start at zero....

CNBC just reported that retail sales in June dipped unexpectedly. I think the dip is accelerating in July. I'm not convinced that it is a real problem though, I just think everyone is taking vacations and going for experiences over stuff this year.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/14/us-re...tack:topnews:1

Also, if misery loves company:

Adsense Earnings and Observations: https://www.webmasterworld.com/googl...se/4755348.htm
    eBay Sellers: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling...0390#U24240390
    Amazon Sellers (requires seller account to view) : https://sellercentral.amazon.com/for...1154&tstart=45
    Last edited by isellstuff; July 14th, 2015 at 11:05 AM.

Yep, would defo be nice to know what we know now and turn back the clock.
    I made a comment on another forum, that if I'd gotten into affiliate marketing when I 1st. started tinkering with Pc's wow.
    My 1st one was back in Dec. of 1973 when Montgomery Wards introduced the Commodore Vic 20. Good olde Basic programing. and hooked to a color TV set.
    Wow has things changed since then.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

6. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Summer slowdowns are pretty common and consistent in my experience. I don't know too much about the specifics obviously of yours, but I would doubt that you are alone entirely in the experience/observation.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Tax Paying Member
    I have received a couple of e-mails from AM's asking why sales have slowed in the last 45 days. My only explanation is...Seasonal??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

9. Thanks From:

It would be interesting to see if this is related to an uptick in the real estate market.

For us, checks are the slowest in July but hotels have their biggest month. But this year will be nothing special for hotels (for us). I have a couple of destination sites with real estate pages (one, for example, just shows photos of hundreds of condominium buildings here at the beach) and the AdSense on those pages will be about double of last July. Sooo...maybe some folks are in a mind-set of considering the really big purchase and holding back a bit on the other stuff.

@Bob - Commodore Vic 20, eh? That was my second home computer - after a Timex. LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    From my experience, this is when people are more focused on vacations and outdoor activities than online shopping. In our business, it's also a time of year when pretty much all sports but Major League Baseball are either in their offseason or just a few weeks out from training camp, so it's a low point in demand for product.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

I log each days sales, earnings, traffic levels and other related stuff in a spreadsheet and have for the last six years. July 1 - 13 average order size has been a really severe anomaly for me, when comparing the same time frame over the last six years. Last year was outstanding compared to this year.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Looking at an apparel merchant traffic at the half way point this month is 1/3 of last months as are sales, conversion it up but average order value is down $12. Unrelated an e-cig merchant sales are 1/3 last months with lower AOV, conversion and EPC and traffic is 1/3.

15. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    After reading this, I did a totally unscientific and unreliable comparison, with insufficient data to mean anything at all, but comparing my July, 2013 and July, 2014 Amazon sales to my July 2015 sales, the average sale this July is for slightly less than one-half the dollar amount of July, 2014 and July 2013, which were almost identical.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

17. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    How have your experiences been with Amazon since they started the charitable giving prompts ?
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    How have your experiences been with Amazon since they started the charitable giving prompts ?
    Not sure when that started.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread