This question goes to any of you that are affiliates with travel sites, with or without association with Commission Junction.

First, have any of you had any success with any travel sites? What about commissions compared to other affiliate categories such as apparel and books? Is this a good market to go with, especially with the current travel industry status in the U.S.?

Any comments welcome.

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

Affiliate Manager
    Good Morning Lucas-
    Q have any of you had any success with any travel sites?
    A Take a look at our past newsletters for check amount sent out. I pull our corperate affiliates (like Travelocity and airlines) out of this before posting- so those numbers are true affiliates. You've also reminded me I don't think I posted March numbers- I'll have to get those out.

Q What about commissions compared to other affiliate categories such as apparel and books?
    A In most cases, smaller percentages because of tight margins- but high ticket puchases.

Q Is this a good market to go with, especially with the current travel industry status in the U.S.?
    A This answer may sound like a cop out- but it depends on you. I have affilaties who have hit record bookings recently- and others who have seen their sales tank. People do travel- but they travel differently now. They travel differently according to seasons and other world issues as well. For example, after Sept. 11- we saw an over all reduction in bookings- but "local" destinations went up. People were visiting family and travelling to weekends destinations. Europe to Europe travel remained steady. I expect similiar trends this year.

Travel is often a different type of program- it does not work well in a mall. It has many niches of it's own (senior, women, family, gay, drive, fly, budget, luxury, theme parks, gambling, pet friendly, handicapped, sports, shopping, suites...)

Make sure you work with an active affilaite program that can help you spot trends and capitalize on them. Ask for the top cities this time last year. Ask for top hotels to promote- or hotels that pay the best. If you put in the work, this is a lucrative market.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Ms./Mrs. Hutson:

Thank you for responding.

I think IAN was one of the programs I was looking at. As a matter of fact, it was my top prospect so far. I find some of your comments interesting. All I hear on the news is how the airlines are about to go south and what kind of economic tumble the country is in.

I've been wanting to get into the affiliate game for about a month now, and I have done a lot of homework to help find what category (such as travel) would be good to go with. I have found that over the past year, of the top 10 most searched keywords on search engines, hotels and travel were consistantly among them.

Therefore, because of that and your comments that this is a lucrative market to be in, provided I am willing to put in the work which I am, I am considerably interested in getting into this.

Would you happen to have any personal advice or reccommendations as to how to get started as a travel (maybe IAN) affiliate?

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

Affiliate Manager
    Good Morning Lucas-
    My basic starting advice would be target a niche and create lots of niche pages. That might sound simplistic- but it's the best way I've sent to start- once that works- you can determine if many niches or now targetting the "big terms" is the best way for you. Niches are also more stable in the long run.

Re your airline comments- they have been struggling for some time and are the weak spot as people travel closer to home and with their families. They definately are not gone from radar- but they are not our focus.

Jessica Hutson

Affiliate Manager
    I would also recommedn writing as soon as you are signed up to any program and asking about getting a privae label (you can set up most of your own with our program) and finding your first target. For ours- I would recommend the $25,000 gross sales a month as a good target- at that point, I can get you a custom 800 number where the custeomr does not need to reference your discount code.

Jessica Hutson

Jessica:
    Are you saying that reaching $25,000 is a prerequisite for the private label?

We've had uneven success with our travel channel, though we probably don't push it as hard as we should.

Karl
    PhillyBurbs.com - Your Internet Starts Here

Affiliate Manager
    No- thanks for asking for clarification.
    There is no minimum for a private label and it is is completely free
    The $25,000 is when I can give you your own custom 800 number that auto sources to your web site and does not require a person entering your discount code.

Jessica Hutson

ABW Ambassador
    I'm the biggest affiliate in the planet for airline tickets for spain and LATAM markets, do you sell airline tickets there?

Fer

Ms./Mrs. Hutson:

Thank you for responding.

As far as your comments about niches, are you referring to your last post about niches, i.e. family, seniors, etc.?

--------------------

Affiliate Manager
    Good Morning

Lucas-
    Yes, I was referring to those things as niches- that can also be a destination based site or anything else that is not a one word or top tier search term- like hotel reservations
    Fer-
    We do sell air tickets in those areas. You can take a look at our site and run a few test searches to see if they would work for you. You should also take a look at the package product which will roll out to affiliates as soon as possible and has some great prices.

Jessica Hutson

Ms./Mrs. Hutson:

Thank you for responding, again.

You mentioned that you recommend that I start a bunch of niche pages. I assume you are referring to making several websites.

What about making several websites, promoting, say hotels, but each website was associated with a different affiliate program? I.E., website A would promite hotels and be an IAN affiliate, website B would also promote hotels but be an affiliate of 'Acme Affiliates'. Would you know if this would be such a good idea? Or would it be better to make several websites, all with the same affiliate, but each site targeted different areas? I.E. Website A would prmote travel targeted to seniors and website B would promote travel targeted to young adults.

Comments welcome.

--------------------

Affiliate Manager
    Different sites are generally the best way to promote different niches- but not the the only. If you would prefer subsections of one site- it has been done successfully.

I would definately prefer you use one program for this- preferably ours. Howver- I'll pro and con it for you-
    One program-
    pro- more leverage with the supplier- if you are driving $25,000 in sales to three companies- you have less leverage than if you were driving $25,000 to one- leverage gets you things like more attention and perks like a custom 800 number that auto tracks.
    pro- less maintenence. If all your links are for the same place they are easier to keep up. It also means if you get specials you can add them across all sites- you only need to figure out one database structure etc.
    con- If there is a technical or monetary problem at the company you work with- it affects all of your sites.

(I'm a Mrs)

Jessica Hutson

Jessica:
    If we reached a $25,000/month level (even in gross sales), I would nominate myself for our company's employee of the year program I'll soon begin working with my staff to re-assess some of our channels & marketing and Travel will be high on the list.
    Karl
    Your Internet Starts Here

Affiliate Manager
    Karl-
    You've got a great site- Let me know when you're ready to get started and I'll set you up with an account manager who can help you get there. If I need to make your target a little lower- I might be able to lower this for you if you can show growth- I'd hate to expect any less of you though!

Jessica Hutson

Whatever niche you go with, think of other complementary products. For instance if you go with Jessica's program which is a GREAT one, may I suggest adding some Irv's Luggage links?

I just created some new, catchy high converting links like:

"Travel 1st Class! Luggage, Garment Bags and Computer Cases up to 60% off at Irv’s Luggage Warehouse.
    "Ready for your trip? WAIT! Where’s your new suitcase? Save up to 60% now!"

There are many other good products and services that would enhance a travel related site. That way you are diversifying a little. For instance, even though flying may be down some now due to the war, summer is coming so kids still need new backbacks & duffel bags for camp and business people still need computer cases even if they are not traveling.

Just a thought.

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Manager
    ExecutiveEssentials.com (gifts) & Irvs.com Luggage Warehouse