I'm currently working on my affiliate program for my website and I was hoping to find out what are some of the important features that pursuade you to choose one affiliate over another that have similiar services.

Is it just a numbers game?

ABW Ambassador
    1 year cookie duration
    and / or
    residual income

Hi Pluckie:

I like the ability to do "deep linking" -- ie: being able to link to any page or product rather than just to the merchant's home page.

I also like to see more than just "banners" available to the affiliate. Product images and product descriptions would be useful.

I also like to see if there is a two-tier program.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/

Something that makes people WANT to see the merchants site: fun; service; great value...a reason to bookmark the page. (long cookies) Not just "if you go here you can buy thus and so".
    So what? If you go to a thousand other pages, you can buy thus and so, too. They should stand out from the crowd. Also, if I wouldn't buy from a site, why should my viewers? The page needs to be able to close a sale not lose the prospect by boring them to death.

ABW Ambassador
    What David said. I would add that that means (to me) no silly framed sites (makes linking difficult) and no silly shoppingcart/tracking urls that include a session ID that can't be edited out and leave a functional URL.

Prefer a minimum of 30 day cookie, but truth be told, my top performer (who brings in 2/3 as much as all my CJ merchants combined) is a 0 day cookie. But they have an EXCELLENT pay scale which compensates for the lack of cookie.

The merchant's web site design MUST be functional... or allow deep linking. I sometimes think I am succesful with some merchants because their web site is so rotten, my visitors are thrilled just to be able to get directly to the product they want.

OTOH, if *I* can't find products, you're SOL unless you provide direct product links. I've got one merchant I would love to promote, I know they have products in a specific line I sell (I know because CatalogCity has them), but I can't find the products on their site without browsing through hundreds of products. I know visitors aren't going to take that kind of time.

Pay scale does count. Tiered pay scales (10% for selling X amount per month, 12% for selling XX, 15% for selling XXX, etc) make me work harder...

Monthly checks do count -- all things being equal, the person with the shortest payout time wins (let's not go overboard, though -- 30 days is fine).

Minimum payout amounts do count. Anything more than $25 makes me go "hmmmm, wonder what the competitor has"...

I appreciate the input. My site handles debt consolidation so there really isn't a list of products.

The minimum payout is definately great advice as I was looking to have a $50 check minimum to save me the effort of writing small checks. I will most certainly reconsider it.

If you guys are interested in giving me some feedback on the program, I could use all the help I can get. Ultimately I want to build a program that works well for the affiliate and fairly for me.

How about adding a viral component that carries the affiliate ID number.

Ray

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean a 2 Tier type program where one affiliate gets compensated a percentage of the leads from another affiliate as a bonus for signing up the second affiliate?

Wow that sounds confusing. It late and I probably need sleep.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A debt consolidator! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !!

Well, I can certainly get specific!

FIRST, accept virtual mall sites!

SECOND, be patient and don't hit Drop during the lag between the time your links go up and the time Google finds the page. It can be 2 months, if your program goes live AFTER the spider has already gone by! So be patient!!

THIRD, Loan places/banks/financial anythings are usually way too tight in the rear. They're the worst offenders for treating affiliates like employees. Don't be that way or do that. It's a deal-killer.

FOURTH, the easiest way to avoid writing little checks is to pay big commissions. $50 commissions=no checks for less than $50, ever! This isn't all that outlandish, either. There's a home equity place at CJ that pays $25 (debt consolidation is their pitch) and a car loan place that pays $50!! If you're one of the other kinds of Debt Consolidation places (the type that renegotiates people's debts for them), you can get away with less commission... but double digits is still good [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Try to outdo the others in your category--give us a reason to promote YOUR program!

FIFTH, you ARE going to set up your program at CJ, aren't you? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Why CJ. I've heard alot of mixed reviews. Ultimately, I've almost completed building mine from the ground up. That's not to say I may not go with CJ, I'm just not sure I can do a 2 Tier Program through them.

Ultimately the deal I'm looking at promoting is $5 per lead and $.75 per lead from the 2nd tier affiliate. I don't think it's too shabby. The product is debt-consolidation. If you think I'm wasting my time with building this, let me know.

The site itself converts about 17% off a qualified click (US-Resident, Non-Incentivized, etc.) so it's been pretty successful with alot of the advertising I've already done.

Do it on CJ and pay $6 per lead...It will cost you an extra $1.80 but you will get lots of good affiliates if you don't take too many stupid pills and approve everyone who applies.

CJ will pay 5% on the second level for you - in this case $.30 and write the checks for you.

If you do an in house program you should INVITE people to join and set it up at $4 and $2 second tier. This affiliates have a big incentive to recruit affiliates and get you leads.

Also, If you run an in house set up an account at PayPal and pay affiliate thru PayPal. That will solve the check problems.

ABW Ambassador
    Pluckie, it's great to have you here asking up front for input from affiliates. Smart move.

I'll tell you the facts ... you have at least one quality debt consolidator (via mortgage instruments) operating on BeFree that pays over $10 per lead and I think the affiliate people hanging out here that work the debt business already know who they are. I doubt that $5 per lead will get you a glance.

And the next thing I'll tell you is what not to do. Do not plan on making money by taking the traffic that comes in from your affilates and sending them off to your own affilate partners for credit cards and other debt & financial instruments/services/accounts. Anyone half experienced at this business won't give you the time of day if the find those on your site unless they get paid for leads on them too.

quote:
    And the next thing I'll tell you is what not to do. Do not plan on making money by taking the traffic that comes in from your affilates and sending them off to your own affilate partners for credit cards and other debt & financial instruments/services/accounts. Anyone half experienced at this business won't give you the time of day if the find those on your site unless they get paid for leads on them too. ~Whiznot

Good one Whiznot. Ditto.

quote:
    Originally posted by Whiznot:
    I'll tell you the facts ... you have at least one quality debt consolidator (via mortgage instruments) operating on BeFree that pays over $10 per lead and I think the affiliate people hanging out here that work the debt business already know who they are. I doubt that $5 per lead will get you a glance.

And the next thing I'll tell you is what not to do. Do not plan on making money by taking the traffic that comes in from your affilates and sending them off to your own affilate partners for credit cards and other debt & financial instruments/services/accounts. Anyone half experienced at this business won't give you the time of day if the find those on your site unless they get paid for leads on them too.

Name one that pays a $10 per lead and I'll send my leads to him. I've been on the BeFree & CJ checking it out for my own program and I didn't run accross anyone doing $10 per lead.

So unless you can point to the company that is paying $10 for a debt consolidation lead, I'll have to believe that you're mistaken.

Pluckie
    www.ipaydebt.com/affiliates

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: pluckie ]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread