Useless Newbie....driving traffic and sales to my website
    Hi folks,

First of all, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, or am generally giving off an 'aura' of uselessness (entirely possible lol).

I sell my own Original Art via shops and galleries, and have set up my own website to try and sell some online (can post the URL later if you'd like to take a look). This is something I've cobbled together slowly myself using Opencart. It's nothing spectacular (I'm no programmer, just a competent 'tinkerer'), but it's clean and functional and works relatively well (no doubt somebody will tell me something is broken now ha lol).

I'm keen to make use of the Affiliate option, as it seems win-win. I have a basic grasp of how this works, I attract Affiliates to the site, they write articles/post content on their websites/blogs etc with the unique tracking URL back to my page which then fingers crossed results in sales for me, and a commission for them.

The only problem is that I'm really rather clueless about how to attract the Affiliates in the first place.

I've set up the Affiliate option to 30% commission, but would be happy to go higher if it offers more incentive.

Any help, advice and pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks everyone

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Are you making sales on your own now through other means of traffic driving? If not, it's probably premature to launch an affiliate program. Since you're using your cart's affiliate tracking, it's less risky in terms of network costs, but affiliate marketing is great for driving more traffic into a conversion funnel that works... but not very good for being the primary source of traffic and revenue for an untested site.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Are you making sales on your own now through other means of traffic driving? If not, it's probably premature to launch an affiliate program. Since you're using your cart's affiliate tracking, it's less risky in terms of network costs, but affiliate marketing is great for driving more traffic into a conversion funnel that works... but not very good for being the primary source of traffic and revenue for an untested site.
    Thanks for your reply

The website is currently not getting a huge amount of traffic. I've had it for many years, but have never really used it properly up until now. I'm using Facebook (approx 5,000 likes) and Twitter (approx 10,000 followers) pages to build interest in the art and the website, and have a handful of registered users on the website and a few sales here and there.

I'm not a hugely technical person (certainly not a developer), just competent enough to customise Opencart without breaking stuff lol. I find I haven't a huge amount of time to put into pushing the website (as the art takes time), but haven't yet found somebody more savvy who I could work with.

I've some limited experience of using magazine advertising and Google Adwords to drive traffic and sales on a previous website I was involved with in partnership with another artist. We made enough sales to cover the advertising costs, but had to knock that one on the head when he decided on a change of career.

I can certainly wait to try and push the Affiliate side of things if that's the best thing to do.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread