Tax Paying Member
    Aren't Pop Ups Old school?
    This is my rant for the day... It irritates me to no end when I log into a site and the first thing that happens is a pop up covering half of the page and I can't see what I am looking for until I make a click to get rid of the popup.

Sometimes I use that extra click to leave the site and go elsewhere..

I thought pop ups were old school crap. Do they in any way help business? (just saying)
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

2. Thanks From:

If your site is bad enough that you don't expect people to return on purpose, a popup is probably the best way to monetize it.

It's kind of like those restaurants along the Interstate that advertise on billboards. Most of them are bad enough that locals don't go there, so they make their money off people driving by.

Personally, I think it's best to make something that people find valuable. They'll bookmark it, return regularly, tell their friends about it, post about it on social media, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

4. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Good analogy, Michael. I hate that stuff too, and find it extremely egotistical that so many of those pop-up want you to sign up for their newsletter BEFORE you've ever seen the actual site or what they have to offer.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    It made my day when you 2 guys agree with me..............Thanks.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    One of the best analogies I've heard are that asking for someone to sign-up for your newsletter before they've even seen your site is like proposing marriage without a date. Wouldn't do it. Like Witzer, I just navigate away from those sites. Unfortunately even the big ones are doing it now. Let's make a pact never to respond to any of those pop-ups! One day this trend will end, but maybe we can hasten it.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Tax Paying Member
    I am not an expert, but I have read someplace that popup's used this way has a detrimental effect on mobile usability
    Carolina China

I also leave when those things get in your face. There are a few news sites that do it and I put up with it, but it makes me want to never sign up for their newsletter - something I might do if it wasn't dumped on me at the door. It seems a move of desperation in my opinion. As Michael said above - is the site so bad you need to trick/force people into signing on to your mailing list?

There is a place for that technique but it is not at the front door.

I am starting to agree. Statistics have shown that there was a period where popups were very much effective when done properly.

However, nowadays - It just seems every site and their Mom is using these things. While I drive significant traffic to all of my websites - I must say that the popups have had little to no effect - and after monitoring my heat mapping I think it's even having an adverse effect - causing people to do like what you said and just leave the site rather then just close the popup.

I think we as a society have adapted to the popup to just immediately view it as being a bad thing - thus planting a little seed in our heads saying "OK - it's time to leave this site" after all there is always a better less annoying site. To me popups are effective on sites you already know, love, and regularly use. So a popup that would probably be effective would be one that targeted the returning user like "only popup after the 5th visit over 30 days" etc.

I am currently in the process of either putting a long delay timer or maybe switching to an exit popup instead and see how that works - I don't know yet.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I also detest exit popups - once you click to close a tab or window, it should be gone immediately. Having to look at a popup, find the "Close X" spot and have to click again is extremely aggravating and is a significant influence as to whether or not I EVER go back to that site. Those that say "Are you sure you want to leave this site" are particularly annoying.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I thought those went away, what? over 10 years ago at least. The adaptation I recall was as least 10 years ago. This not some new thing, it was tried and failed miserably already. It has not improved with age.

14. Thanks From:

Pop ups in 05? Nah less then 1% and not like today. More like malware and ulterior motives back then. Dang now I feel old.

Nope Witzer, you definitely are not alone in your thinking HATE them, pop ups before, when leaving, any of them. Very annoying and turns me off from returning. Paranoid side of me when relates to a merchant also makes me wonder if that means he or she's wiped out my cookie if the person does click on the ad.

You might want to check this out before taking the oath against popups

http://socialtriggers.com/annoying-popups/

Derek's arguments in favor of popups seem valid too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Good analogy, Michael. I hate that stuff too, and find it extremely egotistical that so many of those pop-up want you to sign up for their newsletter BEFORE you've ever seen the actual site or what they have to offer.
    Say what?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr. Sal; August 23rd, 2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Too big image

Btw, it's hard to edit and delete the big image...

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread