ABW Ambassador
    More Rant on Multiple Affiliate Channels
    I've said it before. I will say it again:

Rakuten Linkshare, please get rid of "Affiliate Channels"!!

Why?

Other than creating duplicate merchants application and receiving multiple email newsletters from the same merchant from different channels, I just found out that I have been adding "invalid" links onto my sites for who knows how long!

For example, if you have Merchant ABC on your channel 2, but not on channel 1 which you selected as your default channel on LS interface. When the merchant ABC send you a newsletter with attached links, you click on "get link" and get a LS link window pop up. Then you copy the link and put on your site/blog associated with channel 2. You think you are affiliated with merchant ABC but what you don't realize is that the pop up links are automatically hooked to your default channel which is channel 1 in this case. And you don't have affiliate with merchant ABC on your channel 1 so the link you just posted on your site goes to "Invalid Publisher Code, Offer, or Publisher - Advertiser Partnership Status".

I just wasted almost all day of my good time to find and replace countless links I have added to my sites/blogs over the years. I'm sure there are still some out there. If you have tested every links added to your site, good for you. But we all know that on some busy days we just don't have the time to click on every single links...

"Affiliate Channels" setting creates confusion if you have merchants on some of your channels but not all when it comes to termination. Sometimes a merchant decided to terminate their affiliate relationship with you on channel x, and you start to take down their links from your channel y only to find out later you need to add the links back.

And for popshops users, they only allow one id for LS. If you add your channel 1 id on your popshops, you won't be able to promote channel 2 merchants who for some reason might only approve channel 2(your website 2) but not channel 1( for example, not the right niche). Isn't that a lose-lose situation for both affiliates and merchants on channel 2?

Seriously, I really don't see the point of having multiple "affiliate channels" for every sites we operate. The "U1" parameter can simply do the job.

So again, Rakuten Linkshare, please get rid of "Affiliate Channels"!!

Tax Paying Member
    I totally agree.....Thanks
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Wow, I had not idea that was what caused the newsletter link problems. Thanks!!!

Agree, channels are horrible.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

4. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Wow, I had not idea that was what caused the newsletter link problems. Thanks!!!
    Yeah, I wish I had known that long before. You would assume the links are associated to the channel id you had the merchant on. But no. They are all linked to the default channel id. This is another lose-lose-lose situation for affiliates, merchants and LS itself. Because the links go to the dead end, affiliates won't get sales, merchants won't get sales, and LS gets nothing(well, other than monthly fee)

The LS Rep used to be pretty active at participating the discuss here. But I haven't seen her for long time. Nothing else, I hope this thread serves the purpose of warning my fellow affiliates about the link issue associated with channels.

ABW Ambassador
    Reply been posted twice, not sure why...deleted.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread