I've been recommended to these forums and I hope you can help me. I have setup an affiliate program at Shareasale.com for my domain registration service. So far I've had 13 people sign up and only 2 are delivering any hits and none are delivering sales.

I have linked to the affiliate program on my website - what else can I do to get people signing up?

And what can I do to get my affiliates selling? I've already upped the commission from 5% to 10% and email them often to tell them if they have queries to live chat with me and I'll help them out.

It would be brilliant to have some reliable affiliates who brought in just a few sales. Can anyone point me in the direction of such people?

I don't think its the affiliates' problem - I think the prices are a bit high. I can register a .com name for under $9 elsewhere, so $28 for co.uk is going to take some selling.

I

From my experience and from what I've heard from other shareasale merchants, sales are not all that common with their affiliates.

Another thing like already said your prices are steep. You have to be competitive to make sales. You could compensate by giving more free services with your registrations but you still need to bottom line your prices.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I think the prices are a bit high.
    Yep, have to agree.
    I can find .co.uk for £2.89 per year and .com for £8.99 per yr.

.biz and .info I can find for £8.99 per yr also.
    .cc are £30.95 per yr.

This also includes:
    Web Forwarding
    Catch-all E-mail forwarding
    Forwarding of up to 100 E-mail aliases
    Holding Page Wizard
    Change Name Servers
    Change IPS Tag (UK domains only)

Well how am I meant to succeed then? If I sold domains for the prices you state and then gave away 10% commission I'd be running at a loss. In order that we can make a profit on these, I have included unlimited POP3 email accounts, email forwarding, domain forwarding and webmail facility which I think makes up a good package. They also get real human support via Live Chat, telephone or email. I think that is all worth something.

HI Kay,
    We still make commissions from whoever used to be Registrars.com, I think it's Verisign now. And they're even at BeFree! They don't mark their price down: $60 for two years.

So.

Let me ask you point blank whether you yourself have been able to market your program. If not, then I do have to wonder whether live chat with affiliates will help them.

If you have been able to make sales with your own efforts, then maybe send an email to your affiliates with very detailed instructions. Maybe make a mock affiliate site that is successful and send them to it to get ideas.

I was given this idea on these boards for testing any program I might want to set up as an affiliate program, and I think it's a really keen idea. Since whatever program is first will be our first experience as a merchant, I'll want to make sure that it works to be an affiliate with it.

I have now upped the commission to 20% which is absolutely as far as I can go. I have ensured the site looks as good as possible and at our end, we ensure the customer experience is a good one.

It's just a case of finding affiliates prepared to work hard - and where do I find them???

The problem isn't in your prices it's in everyone elses prices.

They keep undercutting each other to stay competitive and the result at the end is to choke out the whole industry.

I used to sell big time on ebay and a product that sold for 120 dollars was brought down to 5 dollars because of overly aggresive competition. I could buy the product for 10 dollars so that means the others were taking a 5 dollars loss on each sale. They made up for it in shipping I guess but that IMO is dirty practice.

This is why in retail there are markup laws and restrictions. I hate to say it but eventually we will need government to step in and take action on the net.

keep your prices where you need to and make profits. When the other morons run out of spending money you'll be the last one standing.

As for affiliates you have to realize that only a select few are good affiliates otherwise we'd all be wealthy. It's the nature of any business.

So where do I find these 'select' affiliates. If I could get 1 or 2 reliable ones it would make all the difference to my business.

I really hope someone here can help me.

Consider adding hosting to the package... there are a few hosting companies that offer good reseller deals... off the top of my head fasthosts.co.uk are one, but they have a bad reputation. You could look around tho... wadaya think... you could put the price up probably if hosting was included.

Yep domains are hyper competitive... you gotta have a bulk order situation with someone to drive your prices down???????

Well if I could get 10 top performing affiliates who read this site to start selling em I could get the prices down in days and that would encourage more affiliates to sign up. But who's going to get the ball rolling. I wish I knew just one or two reliable affiliates who would help me.

Well you've just been talking to them!

Maybe you could push the fact theres live help available more. I've got lots of domains and getting them to resolve to the host is still a pain.

For the UK theres a place called hosternet.co.uk and although they can be a teensy bit unavailable for uploads if the guy goes off on holiday, like at New Year, hosting is £30pa and I would recommend them to anyone from the UK starting out.

Perhaps you could do a deal with him?

I

Is he a member of these forums? Anyone here interested in helping a newbie merchant out? I will do whatever I can to help affiliates to sell from their sites. I am available 7 days a week to offer advice and support. I just need some willing participants to get the ball rolling.

He's not here AFAIK but he does have an affiliate program of his own.

I

At the risk of sounding a little rude, it seems you ignored my post. So I assume that either you don't know if your program can make money for affiliates, or you really think that affiliates will be the magic bullet to riches.

I have also recommended to merchants that they come check out these boards. I tell them that they need to know what it is that higher performing affliates want in a program they market (like "Can I sell the sh*t and does it pay?"~Leader). Also, that by participating in discussions here many of us come to trust a merchant and thus become interested in working with them (I took on a couple of merchants due to their participation in these boards, and one of them is a real blessing to my pocket).

In all honesty, I don't see you doing anything but repeating over and over that you want some "select" affiliates. "Select" affiliates don't just jump onto a program because someone comes ringing a bell on the boards.

Now, have you ever tried signing up under your own program and made money at it as an affiliate?

I wasn't ignoring your post - I'm sorry you thought that!

I think Shareasale.com is probably not the best site for me but all the UK affiliate sites (like CJ and Tradedoubler) are very expensive to setup.

I asked loads of customers this week what made them buy domains from us and I got replies like:
    a) because you helped me using live chat on the site
    b) because I could buy all the extensions I wanted in 1 sitting
    c) because it was an easy to use site
    d) because someone recommended you

So things like the Live Help I want to get the affiliates to be using to drive people to the site as we can then chat to users and help them make a choice and convert their visit into a sale.

As far as prices go, I have done lots of searching and whilst we aren't the cheapest we're certainly no where near the most expensive. And I know we offer the levels of service that ensure customers see the value of their order.

I do think we have a lot to offer affiliates:
    * Help 7 days a week
    * A good service to sell on
    * 20% commission (which isn't bad)
    * We're reliable payers (unlike some domain registrars I've heard about)

If I was a site owner with say a 'small business website', I think the above would convince me to hook up with www.123domainname.co.uk

Any thoughts?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread