ABW Ambassador
    Anyone have experience negotiating a better deal? What sort of sales did you generate for the merchant prior to negotiating the better deal?

Any input on this topic is most appreciated.

TIA.

I do

I was getting paid 35% by a merchant. I contacted them and asked for 50% and got it.

Their comment (We've upped you payouts because we can clearly see that you've been trying to grow your business and we'd like you to do so with us)

ABW Ambassador
    35%... 50%... did you leave out a decimal point? I just want more than 5%.

I haven't had much luck yet. One of my merchants cut their commission in 1/2 and I tried just to get back some of the cut and they told me to take a hike. I probably sell more of their stuff than most others do too. I'm looking to replace them as soon as I can find a suitable replacement.

I think they just don't like competing in the PPCs with me.

Cedric, You can definately get higher deals than the average network wide comish. I have gotten higher percentages a few times. If your doing good sales with certain merchants. Go for it! the worse thing they can say is no. I have never threatened a merchant that unless they raise my cut I am going to drop them. What I usually point out is all the good things I am doing for them, give them some stats and then list a few of their competitors that are giving you a better cut.

If a certain merchant is paying you 15% and the one that you want a raise from is only paying 7% then just metion the other merchant and what they are paying you. Most merchants know what they can afford to give and can't. If the merchant says they can't give you a raise even after you proved how valuable you are to them. There is probably a good chance that they really can't afford to give any more than they are.

On the other hand, look at the merchants who start out paying 5% comish and then once they see no one is promoting them they come up with 10%. Thats why it never hurts to ask. JMO

A good system I always use is to try and get them to set up a tier for you. Usually they will set the bonus structure up over whatever your actual abilities are. They way to get around this is to find someone trustworthy who is selling the same product or service as you and combine your traffic. With two or more put together you can get more deals and usually meet your bonus threshold. The key to this working is being able to find decent folks who wont stiff you on payday.

ABW Ambassador
    Going direct to the merchant is easier with non-affiliate-network merchants.

They listen. They can build you a co-branded platform which stands a much better change of a listing in some directories. They will pay more. From what I've read here, the risk of non-payment should be about equal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks all for the advice... I will probably approach the merchant I had in mind when I wrote this at the end of this month. I'll let you know how it goes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread