Billboard size banners
    *Moderators please feel free to move this if you want since I know there have been other threads about banner sizes, just couldn't for some reason find any that were recent to respond to.

That said...... grrrrrrrrrrrrr Ummm is it just me or do the rest of you think that banner sizes have been getting awfully big? ummm more like HUGE !!! Honestly, some I've seen I don't even know how they fit them on a page they're so big. Not only are soooooo many programs seeming to have these big sizes there aren't any smaller sizes at all. I prefer the lil 88x31 guys and it used to be they were pretty much standard but a lotta programs don't have them. Seems backwards to me since mobile stuff now, you'd think the trend would be smaller instead of larger. Ok, back to what everyone was doing, just wanted to grrrrrrr a lil

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    purplebear, you are not alone so I'll grrrrrrr with you. I went to find banners earlier today and ran across the same problem. I prefer the smaller banners as well and couldn't find what I needed. I don't need a banner that takes up all the space above the fold. Those size banners are worthless. Another complaint, it is so hard to find banners with just the merchants logo/name.

Banner sizes I like are:

120px ◊ 60px or 120px ◊ 90px

125px ◊ 125px

468px ◊ 60px

4. Thanks From:

I know you shouldn't have to but I have made my own banners sometimes especially the little ones.

Is that not something you could try?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    We encourage all of our merchants to have a broad range of banner sizes, both large and small, so that there's something for everyone. To me that's definitely a proverbial "best practice". I know what you mean about the logo in tiny sizes, msladybug, but sometimes the merchant's logo won't fit on something that tiny. I'm integrating a merchant now with a logo that can't go smaller than 45 pixels. Working on a creative solution!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

7. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Jeannine, itís good to hear you encourage merchants to have multiple sizes. I don't think merchants take into consideration that affiliate website designs vary and a one size fits all method just doesn't work. I think if they had more guidance in understanding that if they donít provide numerous banner size options that most affiliates will simply go find a banner promoting another merchant that fits into their promotional space.

I can't tell you how many times I've been excited to join a program and go to get banners only to find they only offer one or two in sizes I can't use. Some of these programs are managed by well known AMs/OPMs. I'm not clear on who (AMs or merchants) is responsible for providing banners to affiliates. If I email an AM sometimes they seem to be able to provide them. Other times, I get, "I'll request it from the merchant." Unfortunately, the later tends to never happen. I'm not saying that the AM isn't making the request, only that the merchant doesn't follow through.

Okay, it's really late and I seem to be rambling on...

9. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    That said...... grrrrrrrrrrrrr Ummm is it just me or do the rest of you think that banner sizes have been getting awfully big? ummm more like HUGE !!! Honestly, some I've seen I don't even know how they fit them on a page they're so big. Not only are soooooo many programs seeming to have these big sizes there aren't any smaller sizes at all. I prefer the lil 88x31 guys and it used to be they were pretty much standard but a lotta programs don't have them. Seems backwards to me since mobile stuff now, you'd think the trend would be smaller instead of larger. Ok, back to what everyone was doing, just wanted to grrrrrrr a lil
    You definitely not alone on this one, Purplebear.

I prefer merchants have at least one tiny 88x31 logo banner. If others see a billboard banner fits their sites better, that's fine. But merchants need to keep all banner sizes available for us to choose from.

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Just to keep the banner conversation going, about how many different banners (copy/size) would everyone prefer to be able to choose from? 20? 40? 60? 80+?

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Not about the quantity, more about the variety of banners.

If possible, merchant should have at least one of these common size banners available including 88x31, 120x60, 120x90, 125x125, 234x60, 468x60, 720x90, 120x600, 160x600, 250x250, 300x300...I don't use any half page size banners, but others might prefer those giant ones. It's totally up to merchants.

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    IMHO if you offer to resize the banner into the size you need from those provided in the program then I will certainly host it in the program for you (and the other affiliates). Yes, many times when requesting a certain size banner from the merchant they tend to make it a low priority and take weeks to produce.

17. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    Just to keep the banner conversation going, about how many different banners (copy/size) would everyone prefer to be able to choose from? 20? 40? 60? 80+?
    Ryan - A merchant can offer as many as they like but they should always offer some standard sizes that affiliates have used for years. It seems that merchants are getting away from those standard sizes and that is causing problems. I know some affiliates use the billboard sizes in their sliders but not all of us do so they should continue to offer the standard sizes too.

Here is a thread that offers a list of some of the standard sizes that affiliates prefer. You don't have to offer every single one but you will see that offering some that are close to the standard sizes will help your affiliates promote the merchant easier. Hope it helps.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...t=banner+sizes

19. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    msladybug thanks for the feed back, and yes, that thread is pretty good. I've been an AM for a little while now and have made many banners available in different sizes. Both standard sizes and large. We've seen affiliates use the large ones for specific web designs. I was more just looking for feedback to see what affiliates are looking for. Gotta be constantly improving your offerings to keep affiliates working.

21. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    If possible, merchant should have at least one of these common size banners available including 88x31, 120x60, 120x90, 125x125, 234x60, 468x60, 720x90, 120x600, 160x600, 250x250, 300x300.
    I've found that for WordPress sites (and others), especially for sidebars, 180 x 150 is essential.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

23. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    I have seen at least one merchant who now only provides very large banners and they all link to their home page. Along with this the merchant has removed all (ALL) images from their data feed...therefore PopShops, MakeApage, etc will not work.

I agree that some merchants seem to be concentrating more on large banners......Just my humble opinion.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

25. Thanks From:

Feel much better knowing I'm not the only one grrrr'ng.

Here was an example: 667x2500 The smallest they had was 750x625 (which to me at least is still pretty big) another was 1200x627 Can't remember which program it was that had the reaaaaaally big ones but they made those examples look small.

Agree with Phil that I have a feeling a lot of these really long ones are probably on blogs. Maybe I'm a dinosaur and some programs figure everyone uses blogs? Do have a blog but most are regular ole sites.

Have been in the process of redesigning one of my sites and replacing all the links page by page while doing so. That's reason I'm discovering this. What really has me baffled is that several programs that did have the little guy banners no longer have them and just have the larger ones. One that had a ton of specific text links now has none.

alphawave - umm obviously you don't know me very well. lol Yes, I do realize I could make the banners myself but am afraid I am too much of a computer dummy to have that skill. Am lil bit proud of myself that have managed to learn what I have learned but honestly just don't have the time to add another thing to my list of things to learn how to do. (well, could attempt so maybe but am afraid my brain would probably explode in the process and would like my brain to stay the way it is for now)

Had been burned actually two times before from asking for just a plain ole regular smaller banner and request turned down so I don't ask anymore. Program just recently did specifically ask me if they could make me one, told them that would be nice and would be appreciated. Uhhhh never happened lol

Anyway, posted since was having a few very frustrating days but feel much better knowing am not the only one thinking this way.

27. Thanks From:

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread