Understanding #1 The voucher answer
    Understanding #2 The voucher answer:
    Within the online retail space there has been a clear push away from the use of voucher publishers. There is a belief within the advertiser base that this publisher vertical adds little to no incremental value to the click chain. As a result of this, we are seeing voucher sites being removed from programs, having their commissions lowered to next to nothing or simply being ignored.

What is behind this?

UGC:
    Many voucher publishers utilize UGC (User Generated Content) as a traffic generator. The process is as follows: The user, or in many cases the publisher manually adds codes or other content to the publisher site. These codes have been found elsewhere on the web and were not provided by the advertiser. This added content increases the voucher site´s organic search results. This process has become a major irritant to advertisers who release codes through other channels or to specific publishers. Many advertisers see this practice only for its negative impact on their brand.

Manual attribution:
    Understanding that it is nearly impossible to control this content without some relationship, advertisers have begun the use of, what is for all intents and purposes, manual attribution. By that I mean, advertisers continue to allow publishers to participate in programs while lowering commissions for the voucher vertical. This process has effectively devalued the voucher publisher´s click in the overall chain.

The truth:
    In truth, the voucher vertical has been greatly undervalued. Advertisers have taken the view that voucher sites are simply operating as a backdrop that captures sales which were already going to happen. NOT TRUE! The reality is that consumers are trained to look for vouchers while shopping on line. Not only does the voucher site close the deal, they can be the most responsible link on the click chain.

The world is a mall:
    Try to think of the online space as one giant mall. When the consumer walks into the mall, they are not simply there to walk into a store and make an immediate purchase. The consumer is there to be a part of the scene. The consumer is influenced by those around them as well as by the storefronts they walk past. Any respectable brand or advertiser´s shop will garner patronage from most consumers in the mall. Yes, the consumer may see a cool pair of shoes while walking around (content site/blog represented here) but for the most part it is an exercise in modern window shopping.
    Now try to see the voucher site as the flashy banner and talented sales person inside of a store. Sure, the consumer sees cool stuff all the time, but they don’t jump to make a purchase every time. There must be a trigger. That trigger is the voucher site. In addition to making the sale for the advertiser when they are the ones selling those cool shoes, they often make sales for the advertiser when they were not the seller of those cool shoes. They also add sales by promoting other cool offers on items or advertisers that the consumer now wants as a result of the shopping process being activated.
    There is great value in this process.
    Surely the continuation of advertiser’s negative stance toward voucher publishers will have a negative effect on both brand loyalty and sales.

The answer:
    The answer is simple, incentivize the best rather than punishing the vertical. Locate the very best voucher sites and furnish them with competitive codes. Keep these publishers informed as to upcoming sales and seasonalities. The sales team (Voucher Publishers) need to know what’s going on so that they can highlight the best offers.
    Content will be created as a result of consumer satisfaction.

2. Thanks From:

Hi, thanks for starting this topic. I am a merchant and a newbie in affiliates. I've come here to have some of my questions answered.
    One of them is concerned with voucher/coupon websites.

You say that merchants shouldn't shy away from voucher websites, but how do I know which ones are 'the best' and which one are bad websites. How can I tell when vouchers websites apply for my program, which ones I should reject and which one I shouldn't?

Hey,

Thank you for your question,

when determining the Quote best Voucher sites you should take into account a few factors. The first factor being the simplest, publisher popularity. This can be determined by taking a look into the publisher traffic volume and rank combined with the overall look of the page, the clinginess as you might say. Traffic volume will give you a good indicator of publisher popularity and spend.

I also look at the other affiliatized advertisers on site. The quality of merchants on site is a solid indicator. I tend to look at which clothing and fashion advertisers have relationships with the publisher as these tend to be very selective.

You can also look at the quality of on site offers they are running. If there are many old offers or purely standard offers, I would not approve the site.
    Once you have approved a pub, keep an eye on your CVR and basket size. The better the placement of your content, the better the CVR typically, so try to be visible on the home page. The better the offer, the larger the basket size and the higher the likelihood of better placement opportunities. But, that point will largely have to do with your margins and how your competitor’s offers stack up

Finally, I recommend that you keep an eye on the publisher’s traffic generating habits. You can do that by using keyword tools such as Keyword Spy, it will give you a view of what type of traffic is most often headed to the site. Just use the free site tool. this goes to my origanal post. you want to be sure that when the mall salesmen is giving his pitch, that you are not simply in a stack of offers that he has behind his desk but, that you are being trumpeted. or at least that the type of people who like oyur product are being made aware of your awsome offers.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    benx some good stuff here. Remember that we don't use voucher in the US but rather coupon. Also I don't recognize CVR, we use AOV (average order value) or ASV (average sale value).

There is an inundation of coupon sites as that model got a lot of press in the last few years with acquisitions in the $10's of millions . In any mature affiliate program you will likely see 50-70% of the top affiliates as couponers as they drive the most sales. With attribution you can split the commission with the introducers and influencers so the last click doesn't swipe all of the commission. That is what big brands are doing. Many others who don't have attribution capabilities are cutting commissions to 1% or even 0% but leaving the couponers in the program thus taking advantage of them good or bad. Not the best scenario either way.

My preferred method is to work with the sites that have good traffic numbers and are responsive. When you restrict trademark plus (plus coupon, discount, voucher) and you find couponers bidding on them i.e. merchant name coupon, then they get one warning. If they repeat the offense its generally not a mistake. The best thing to do is communicate. Those that don't communicate back are on auto-pilot and you don't have a 1:1 relationship, boot them.

yup
    Hey chuck.

The CVR I mentioned is what you might call CR or coversion rate.

yes, I recall when I first started working in affiliate years ago in the states I had a hard time with the EU terminology. As for the voucher commission drop issue, I see this as a dishonest tool used to simply cut cost rather than a fair attribution method.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread