How Well Do Banners Convert for You?
    I was just reading this thread:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/newre...0049&noquote=1

and was about to post this question in it. Then I stopped to think about it and realized that would totally derail the thread, so I decided to post a new one instead.

None of my affiliate marketing successes have come via banners, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm now curious about how well banners convert for others. Thanks for any insights!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    We use our own ad server to serve banners contextually. Our conversion rate is only about 1% lower than our product/text links. However, fewer people click on banners than text/product links. Biggest problem with banners is most merchants don't have good NICHE (category or product) banners. Those that do provide good niche banners see a higher click thru and conversion rate.

Least with us...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

For us we have a lot of clicks, but not a lot of conversions. Our text adds create the most conversions

Tax Paying Member
    I get conversions from banners that are more directed to a single product....or product line.......Generic type banners that only promote the merchants name or banners that link to the merchant home page are nothing but decorations for me.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Traditionlly text links drive 80% of the sales for a program because they are incorporated in the text of a page. Banners are for branding and to ad some color to the page.

Lately I've seen some programs where banner out perform text link when the merchant produces banners with their deals incorporated into them.

7. Thanks From:

I run a lot of media buys( mostly for our adult offers), and I think a banner campaign can be VERY profitable. It all about testing!

TEST! TEST! TEST!

A lot of our business comes from our banners. We are ALWAYS testing them(and everything else). I have some banners that are amazing on a CPM campaign. They bring in TONS of traffic to watch our video sales letters... Then we have other banners that I will use on a PPC campaign. Those are a little more conservative, a lot more targeted and completely relevant.

Your banners are selling your landing page. They are the front page of the tabloid you might see on the news stand. Do your banners sell your page?

** Also - Do they look to good? I have NEVER had good results with a "nice" looking banner! I was a design student in college and none of that applies here. I spoke to award winning design teachers that have worked in the industry for banner secrets. - "If I new the formula to make a winning banner I wouldn't be here". TEST your banners! Run tests on the art in the banner and run tests on our copy. I start my test on CPM networks so I can get the most impressions and see who converts.

...I make a lot of banners.

Banners for adult marketing always convert better than mainstream affiliate marketing banners. Nature of the product.

Lot of merchants would do well to learn from that side of marketing...

Depending on your offer, adult traffic can be a great place to test a lot of mainstream products. We've done it. ...and others have found success as well.

Eat24 ran a great campaign. I saw a dip in my conversions a couple years ago and I looked to see if locate the issue. I saw these guys all over the tube sites that I normally run on. http://www.businessinsider.com/eat24...n-sites-2013-9

You can test banners at a lower cpm.

MANY merchants in non-adult will not, and do not, allow any sort of traffic from adult sites...

and, MOST do not allow media buys to boot. You must control the website where traffic originates. Yes, there are exceptions - however, we, personally, would never cross the two industries...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    MANY merchants in non-adult will not, and do not, allow any sort of traffic from adult sites...
    That is a VERY good point... Check with the merchants you are working with to be sure they would allow that kind of traffic.

Banners are for merchants.I am totally agree that This is a great place to test a lot of mainstream products.

Affiliate Manager
    As some have said before, our niche banners do much better than general banners. In general our banners perform better than text links (unless they are within content syndication) and we are a market where you would not typically expect to see banners do well. Its all about how they are positioned and what is on them.

ABW Ambassador
    My very first sale from a banner ad happened...on the day I decided to remove all the banners due to not performing at all. And I haven't used a banner ad since.

We have a financial info site that we place banners as well as text ads (adsense looking) on and the text ads always perform better than the banners.

I believe this to be because people have become accustomed to ignoring banner ads since they see them so much on almost every site.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread