Some problems and small wishes
    Hi WebMerge (Fourthworld.com),

WebMerge 2.6.1

Some problems:

Desperate expectation of nested IF management. I'm not talking about multiple conditions but real nested IF. A depth of 3 nested IF seems sufficient. Beyond that, it is not for simple users but for true programmers and must be delivered with aspirin.

It seems that there has reserved words but I found nowhere list. For example, URL can not be used as a name field (memory, FAQ either). What is the list of reserved words.

Index pages tab (index generation) : the pad number is not saved in the settings file.

Sources tab; Index pages tab; Detail pages and Generation tab : recognize the encoding (eg UTF-8) in multiple fields (my French !).

Small wishes

Compression code option in settings (on by default), including removing comments, carriage return, unnecessary blank lines and unnecessary spaces. This will solve, at the same time, the (false) problem of white lines in the generated code and will maintain the readability of a well written and well indented code for the templates. (essential, urgent, crucial, I can not live without, etc. ... )

Maybe you have an idea about the creation of large collections of pages (30,000, 50,000, 100,000 pages and more). A good management, server side, prefers limited collections (eg 5000 pages into a directory - beyond, the size of the RAM mobilized is too large). Can we have, in a directory, automatically created serialized subdirectories for a max amount of pages (a number specified in the settings) (with all that involves in the generation of index pages, previous and next, etc ...)

Several indexes generated simultaneously. Typically, two indexes: an index on an alphabetic fields and an index on a field ID type (implies WebMerge make two sorting and generates the first index on the fly and the second in a second pass).

The idea of fabio seems to be a good one for some : http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...atures-request

All I forget at this moment.

The new version promised for 2014 in the FAQ?
    April 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM (4 years ago)
    I'm working on v3.0 now, but am considering putting out a v2.7 between now and then.

Thank you

Best regards

Pierre (aka Terdef)
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; September 3rd, 2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: manual sig removed

v. 2.7? ought to be available by now

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre aka Terdef View Post
    Some problems:

Desperate expectation of nested IF management. I'm not talking about multiple conditions but real nested IF. A depth of 3 nested IF seems sufficient. Beyond that, it is not for simple users but for true programmers and must be delivered with aspirin.
    Nested IFs is problematic, but easier if limited to a specific depth. Your guidance on three levels is very helpful. My current aim is to get v2.7 completed ASAP, and the complexity involved with nested IFs may be a better fit for v3.0. But either way, I'll see if I can put that in as soon as practical.

It seems that there has reserved words but I found nowhere list. For example, URL can not be used as a name field (memory, FAQ either). What is the list of reserved words.
    I'm not aware of a means by which a specific string cannot be used for a field name. Please send your template and a sample of your source data to me via email at ambassador AT fourthworld.com so I can see what's happening there.

Index pages tab (index generation) : the pad number is not saved in the settings file.
    This has not been reported before and had not shown up in previous testing, but I'll double-check it and if I can confirm it I'll have it fixed in v2.7.

Sources tab; Index pages tab; Detail pages and Generation tab : recognize the encoding (eg UTF-8) in multiple fields (my French !).
    Ah, Unicode. That's been a big headache for us and for customers who need it. My apologies. The text engine we're using in v3.0 will support both UTF-8 and even UTF-16 quite gracefully, but to expedite v2.7 we won't be able to use that version of the text engine until v3.0.

In the meantime, most French characters can be expressed using Latin ISO-8859-1, which our current text engine handles natively. If that's an option for you try converting your source to 8859-1 and drop me an email if it gives you any trouble.

Compression code option in settings (on by default), including removing comments, carriage return, unnecessary blank lines and unnecessary spaces. This will solve, at the same time, the (false) problem of white lines in the generated code and will maintain the readability of a well written and well indented code for the templates. (essential, urgent, crucial, I can not live without, etc. ... )
    Minifying output is definitely in the works for v3.0. True compression (gzip) may also be an option, but useful only with the still-experimental server-side version of WebMerge.

Maybe you have an idea about the creation of large collections of pages (30,000, 50,000, 100,000 pages and more). A good management, server side, prefers limited collections (eg 5000 pages into a directory - beyond, the size of the RAM mobilized is too large). Can we have, in a directory, automatically created serialized subdirectories for a max amount of pages (a number specified in the settings) (with all that involves in the generation of index pages, previous and next, etc ...)
    Automatic creation of subdirectories should already be possible if done by category.

As for overall number of records, we have at least one customer who uses WebMerge to generate 300,000 pages at a time, and many who generate tens of thousands. The number of pages will be limited to available addressable RAM, and being a 32-bit program that means a max below 4GB. At that size, it may be time to find another solution, since generating that many pages has other considerations beyond just the RAM needed to process and the time needed to upload.

In fact, it was those larger-scope use cases for which I've been exploring a server-side version of WebMerge. We've had some promising results with the system we're developing, but we're not yet convinced there's a market for this, since it addresses the relatively slender subset of people who need to handle very large volumes of content but who prefer static pages over the more common range of solutions for dynamically-generated content with DBs.

If this sounds interesting I've be keen to discuss the specifics of your site's load and setup. Feel free to send me an email, call me, or reply here if you prefer.

Several indexes generated simultaneously. Typically, two indexes: an index on an alphabetic fields and an index on a field ID type (implies WebMerge make two sorting and generates the first index on the fly and the second in a second pass).
    WebMerge settings files can be chained to work in sequence, and if I understand what you're looking for here you may be able to do exactly that in a two-pass run with different settings and templates.

If you can't I'd like to see if I can address that more directly in v3.0. The generation engine is a complete rewrite which offers us much more flexibility, so this is a good time to make sure the new system will handle what you're looking for. Via email, phone, or here, to help guide this it would be ideal to have an understanding of the layout of your source data and a clearer description of the desired generated directory structure.

The idea of fabio seems to be a good one for some : http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...atures-request
    Thanks for that pointer. Not sure how I missed that when it came in, but both interesting ideas. The challenge there is to make sure the feature will be truly useful for a reasonable number of people. Just throwing random data into a page to keep a bot from pegging repetitive content sounds less useful than perhaps finding a way to deliver content that's especially meaningful for human site visitors. Can you think of a way to tailor that request to optimize the output in a way that adds value for the visitor?

The new version promised for 2014 in the FAQ?
    "Promised" is a tricky word; more accurately, "estimated". Either way, true, mea culpa, should have been out sooner. Some setbacks with related software has caused us to push back the delivery dates on both v2.7 and v3.0, but both are very actively in development and the v2.7 release date is estimated for this quarter. I'm doing my best with what I have, and appreciate your patience as I work to complete that.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    v. 2.7? ought to be available by now
    True, Herb, it would be better for all of us if that had been possible. We've had a few setbacks, technically and otherwise, but most did finally manage to get the Unicode subsystem in place in a way that preserves good performance, and with that it's now possible to proceed toward v3.0. Between now and then we'll be releasing v2.7, as I mentioned to Pierre above, and hopefully very soon.

If you don't see a fresh Beta release on our download by the end of this quarter feel free to drop me an email and I can report current status. But (fingers crossed) the updated transitional architecture in v2.7 will be in place by then, and that will pave the way toward a rather nice v3.0.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread