Quick question about Amazon Affiliate Program
    Hi there! I am planning to build a gift affiliate site and i am thinking of working with Amazon.

My question is; Can I pick whatever I want that is listed on amazon? I mean can i just pick products to display on my site randomly?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Yes and no. Amazon has great link generator features that let you grab image and text links for any product on any page in a few seconds. But - those products that are sold through what they refer to as "External Websites" do NOT earn commissions. It is, however, easy to see, and avoid, those products.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Why do External Websites don't earn commission?

How do we know which products we can get commission from?
    Even without a commission are you able to place any product that Amazon has on their website ?
    Is there an easy way to explain how to find the products that will get you commission through Amazon?

I'm kinda confused.

In looking closer at Amazon, it seems that they have changed their system for products sold through External Websites. It used to be that while such products were clearly marked as sold through external websites, when you clicked on one such product out of a display, you were then taken to a page that was similar to regular Amazon product pages.

When you are on a regular Amazon product page, it says to the right of the product and under the price, "Sold by Amazon" or "Sold by XXX merchant" and to the extreme right is the "Add to Cart" button.

For external products, the page that takes you to the product page clearly says "Product Ads from External Websites". In the past, when you clicked on one of those products, it would take you to a page similar to regular Amazon product pages with additional options to choose products from external websites, but there was NO button there to add a product to the Amazon cart.

Now, however, when you click on a product from an external website, your are taken away from Amazon to that new external website, where you handle your transaction directly with the external merchant. It now appears that Amazon is acting exactly like an affiliate, sending customers to merchant sites. This is a new change that I did not see before tonight.

I assume the reason there are no commissions on such products from external websites is that such products earn Amazon a much lessor return that is insufficient to share with their affiliates and because Amazon does not control the sales process and is acting more like an affiliate than a merchant.

The bottom line is that all other products can be linked to and earn commissions. Just stay away if it says product from “External Website”.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

5. Thanks From:

Thank you so much for all the info

Looks like I'm not going to work with Amazon and search for other options without having my affiliates being directed on my Amazon Merchant.

Does EBAY use the same methods?

Quote Originally Posted by keyfca View Post
    Looks like I'm not going to work with Amazon and search for other options without having my affiliates being directed on my Amazon Merchant.
    Not sure what that means - you cannot go wrong with Amazon - their affiliate program in almost every respect is the best there is. Non-commissioned products may represent as much as 5%, a very minor blip that affiliates basically ignore. If you use direct product links, your customers will seldom see those other products, and if they do, they are not exactly what they were looking for.

That is not to say that there are not other excellent merchants out there, especially through the "GOOD" affiliate networks.

I stopped promoting ebay (except for a single link here and there because some people ask for it) a few years ago when they slashed their commissions making promoting them a waste of time (unlike Amazon).

I understand it more clear now.Thank you for the info Phil!

Can you affiliate your own products in Amazon?
    Can I place items that I sell on Amazon to my affiliate merchant ?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread